“Hip and stylish without too much attitude” 5 of 5 stars

The Bowery Hotel
335 Bowery, New York City, NY 10003 (East Village)   |
Ranked #69 of 452 hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“Hip and stylish without too much attitude”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

The Bowery Hotel offers a rare mix of hip hotel and welcoming staff. We spent a night at the Bowery close to home on a staycation in NYC, so we know NYC, its hotels and bars and restaurants quite well, and there was nothing about the Bowery Hotel that didn't exceed our expectations. The desk staff, room service and bellmen were all friendly and welcoming. We had a very large suite with a very large deep bathtub. This is the first hotel I've stayed at where the iHome dock has a built in lightning connector, which showed a surprising attention to detail. It was too cold to go out so we ate at Gemma, the in-house restaurant which hasn't always received the best reviews, and we were pleasantly surprised at the friendly service and very good food. The location is great for access to great restaurants and bars and boutiques without lots of tourists and crowds.

Room Tip: The splurge for a suite is worth it.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

380 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a long weekend. Fabulous location. Staff very polite and helpful. Has a great atmosphere in the busy bar area. Only downside was the room was a little on the small side, but very well appointed.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

I live in NY but booked a night here for a really important celebration with my girlfriend. The hotel is beautiful, super cool, great location, and having told them about a surprise I planned before checking in, the entire staff made sure everything went smoothly. A great stay for a very special night!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Just stayed in this fantastic hotel. Rooms were spotless and to a very high standard. The Staff throughout the hotel were always very pleasant and helpful. Had room service a few evenings as well and again the staff dealing with requests...over the telephone or bringing it to the room were always happy to help and very pleasant. Loved my stay and would recommend. Hope to go back one day.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights in early October as part of a New York/Brooklyn trip.
Initial impressions were great - its laid back but decadent. We had a corner King room with lovely floor to ceiling windows on two walls, I'd really recommend asking for one on a high floor if you can to enhance your visit.
It's certainly a hotel with personality - the rooms are old school glamour and really charming. It was the main selling point for us really.

Breakfast next door was lovely - I'd highly recommend the baked eggs and pancakes.

Location is great - walking distance to Broadway and all of the East Village charms - we'd def stay there again

Room Tip: Def get a corner King room on a high floor for great views. If you book with Mr and Mrs Smith, you...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

Very very disappointed with this hotel.

On checking in the women at the front desk was very rude. We were stood for 3 minutes before she even acknowledged us. Then once she had she didn’t even bother to ask us any friendly questions, such as how we were, if we had been to the hotel before (standard for a hotel such as the Bowery). When she stared to check us in, one of her friends walked in and she started to talk to her – totally ignoring us and was talking about her Friday night and what she was planning to do with it. She gave us our key and didn’t even explain to us how to get to the room, so I had to ask her and she just looked at me like I was a idiot and said go to the elevators. NOT a good first experience…

Once we had got to the room the Maid was still cleaning and didn’t leave for another 5 minutes which was vey awkward. She then hovered for a tip… which we didn’t give as she should have cleaned the room hours before we arrived. Have in mind we arrived at 9pm.

We stayed for one night and one night was enough. On checking out I called down to ask for the bill to be prepared and that I was paying by cash. We went down 30 minutes later and I said that we would be paying by cash and she said no one had told her and that she would need to go upstairs to check the mini bar arrggghhhhhh!!!!!

I heard so many good things about this hotel but I will never be going back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for business in July 2013. The Bowery is a really interesting place to stay. The room I stayed in was on the 6th floor and faced north of Bowery. I liked my room which, like the rest of the hotel, is styled to be a 1920s looking place (although built recently in the mid 2000s). The bathroom room was really the best part with a giant tub! I also like that my room had a Jawbone Bluetooth Jambox to play my music while taking a shower.

I think the place may be haunted; like probably for real. I'll leave it up to you, the reader, to ask around about this.

Great hip hotel. I really enjoyed my week long stay in SoHo.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to The Bowery Hotel? Share your experiences!