“New York 1920's chic” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #68 of 451 hotels in New York City
leeds
“New York 1920's chic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights in early October as part of a New York/Brooklyn trip.
Initial impressions were great - its laid back but decadent. We had a corner King room with lovely floor to ceiling windows on two walls, I'd really recommend asking for one on a high floor if you can to enhance your visit.
It's certainly a hotel with personality - the rooms are old school glamour and really charming. It was the main selling point for us really.

Breakfast next door was lovely - I'd highly recommend the baked eggs and pancakes.

Location is great - walking distance to Broadway and all of the East Village charms - we'd def stay there again

Room Tip: Def get a corner King room on a high floor for great views. If you book with Mr and Mrs Smith, you...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

374 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

Very very disappointed with this hotel.

On checking in the women at the front desk was very rude. We were stood for 3 minutes before she even acknowledged us. Then once she had she didn’t even bother to ask us any friendly questions, such as how we were, if we had been to the hotel before (standard for a hotel such as the Bowery). When she stared to check us in, one of her friends walked in and she started to talk to her – totally ignoring us and was talking about her Friday night and what she was planning to do with it. She gave us our key and didn’t even explain to us how to get to the room, so I had to ask her and she just looked at me like I was a idiot and said go to the elevators. NOT a good first experience…

Once we had got to the room the Maid was still cleaning and didn’t leave for another 5 minutes which was vey awkward. She then hovered for a tip… which we didn’t give as she should have cleaned the room hours before we arrived. Have in mind we arrived at 9pm.

We stayed for one night and one night was enough. On checking out I called down to ask for the bill to be prepared and that I was paying by cash. We went down 30 minutes later and I said that we would be paying by cash and she said no one had told her and that she would need to go upstairs to check the mini bar arrggghhhhhh!!!!!

I heard so many good things about this hotel but I will never be going back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for business in July 2013. The Bowery is a really interesting place to stay. The room I stayed in was on the 6th floor and faced north of Bowery. I liked my room which, like the rest of the hotel, is styled to be a 1920s looking place (although built recently in the mid 2000s). The bathroom room was really the best part with a giant tub! I also like that my room had a Jawbone Bluetooth Jambox to play my music while taking a shower.

I think the place may be haunted; like probably for real. I'll leave it up to you, the reader, to ask around about this.

Great hip hotel. I really enjoyed my week long stay in SoHo.

• Stayed July 2013
SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Our 3-night stay was nearly flawless. This small hotel was just as I hoped – low key and laid back but not to extent the service was lacking. I was with my young son and we felt very welcome. I just read a review about staff attitude which we did not experience –everyone, from front desk staff to gentleman who delivered our breakfasts, was friendly and approachable.

Our king room was cozy (for 2 people max) and well-appointed. The design details were stunning - this is no cookie-cutter chain hotel. I loved the stained glass and beadboard ceilings. The floor-to-ceiling windows help to give room feeling of spaciousness (we could see the ESB beautifully lit up at night). There was small table w/ two chairs and oriental rugs over wood floors. The marble bathroom was beautiful with massive tub (tub only, not a separate shower – you get either/or). Okay, I just remembered one issue – not enough hot water on a Sunday morning. The water was fine the rest of our stay. The towels and robe were good quality. Our room faced Bowery Street so, of course, we heard a little street noise. If you want quiet, request a rear-facing room. We never heard anyone in the hallway or had to wait long for elevators. Housekeeping ladies were very good and serviced room twice daily w/out fail. The petite cookies they left at turn down were delicious.

No, they do not have coffee makers in room BUT will deliver good coffee to you within minutes of phoning room service. We ordered various breakfast items and everything was good. I always appreciate wine (and champagne) glasses in room. There is quite good Warehouse Wine & Spirits on Broadway a short walk away.

There was no closet in our room, only a small armoire plus one luggage stand. This was not major issue for us but I can imagine it would be for some of you.

The hotel does not have a traditional lobby but a flowing lounge area past reception. If you are looking for a party bar with loud music, this is not the place. This is a quiet lounge where you can hold a conversation. There is small bar area at back with handful of bar stools and also outdoor patio. Guests can eat from room service menu which we did one evening. We had issue with our dinner but lovely manager went above and beyond rectifying (thank you, quite unexpected). We did not eat in restaurant but it appeared busy at dinner which is good sign – think we just had bad luck.

We hated to leave and will return.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

There is a lot to like about The Bowery. It is fantastically located just out of Soho, close to subways stops and amazing retail including Paula Rubenstein and John Derian. The rooms are gorgeous, with floor to ceiling windows that afford stunning views of NYC. The mini bars are something to see, and the bathrooms stylish and with beautiful CO Bigelow toiletries. The evening delivery of cookies is an adorable addition. However, the staff seem disengaged and I suspect that if you're not famous, you're just not cool enough to warrant their interest. This is a shame, and with so many choices in New York, I won't be back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Let me preface this by stating that this is coming from a manager of another major hotel. I came to the Bowery to celebrate a 5 year anniversary. I contacted the front desk, and spoke with Ashley, who honored a very major request. Not only did Ashley stay in touch with me over the course of a week, she made sure that my special romantic surprise was executed perfectly(the front desk de-pedaled a dozen roses for me!) not only did they do this, but I had a personalized note from the GM and a bottle of wine waiting for us when we arrived. They went far above and beyond the call of duty and that makes them the best hotel Experience that I have had as a guest bar none. Not only has this left a lasting impression and a great story, but I am already going to arrange a weeks stay in the summer due to what I experienced at the Bowery.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Stockholm
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Most is good in this hotel, I really like it. Owners has managed to create that nice old classy feeling in a building that is 6-7 years old. Chapeau !
As so very often, the ambitions ( of the owners ) are not cascaded down to the local Management and staff. Especially not in the front desk. When paying + USD 600/ room night, I do expect more than a nosy and blasé front office team. And I am surprised to be charged a room service fee when having breakfast in the lobby lounge.
Don't le my small remarks stop you from going there, it's a nice hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Bowery Hotel? Share your experiences!