“The worst night's sleep” 2 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   335 Bowery, New York City, NY 10003 (East Village)   |
Ranked #49 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London
“The worst night's sleep”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

I will never go back to The Bowery Hotel,. They ruined what should have been a lovely weekend break for my 40th. We only had 3 nights there. All was going well. Nice decor etc (but nothing too special).
One our second night I was woken by the night manager phoning the room at 3am. 3AM!
He said the security guy had noticed the room door was open.. Why didn't he just close the door, I asked. He didn't want to disturb me. But it's OK for the manager to wake me up?
So I got out of bed to close the door. It was already closed. By now I was wide awake, it being 8am in the UK.
So I went down in my dressing gown to talk to the night manager, because I'd have thought it was an absolutely last resort to wake a sleeping guest. and anyway, my door had been closed.
He was pretty unapologetic, and insisted that my door had indeed been open. Then ensued a lot of back and forth with the manager and the guy on the front door, who clearly thought I was lying. It was my word against the security guard. At one point when I was explaining how precious a good night;'s sleep is to me, given that I only have a break away from the kids once a year, he actually rolled his eyes! That did it for me, I left in disgust. No resolution, no offer of free bottle of wine...nothing.

I noticed when I got back that the door, although locked, did in fact look ajar. There was a fault. Straight back to the manager, still no genuine apology. I never did get back to sleep.
Only the next afternoon, after complaining to 2 more managers, did someone offer me a free bottle of wine and $100 off the room rate for that night. I felt I'd really had to dig my heels in because the hotel clearly did not value a good night's sleep. It wasn't about the money, it was about someone sympathising, and seeing that I had been in the right.

Look, it's probably OK if nothing goes wrong. But if it does, you may not get satisfaction.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Night manager's attitude
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2008

We had a fantastic 5 nights at the Bowery. A beautiful hotel in a very cool location, excellent for all the independent boho shops and boutiques in nolita and the surrounding area.
What really sets the hotel apart are the staff who were all incredibly helpful.
We stayed in a King Deluxe room which had a fantastic bath & massive floor to ceiling windows.
Do visit the ground zero museum, which is a tiny museum you will find on the web, very much a highlight of our stay.

• Liked — The sheets & pillows!
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2008

Two of us stayed at the hotel for nearly a week. From check in to departure, it was a great experience. The hotel is extremely well run and manages to obtain a boutique feeling despite its size of 140 rooms. Unlike other boutique hotels I have stayed in in NY all of the staff - and I mean all - were extremely helpful and friendly. In particular the girls on the front desk were wonderful. Their restaurant recommendations were always spot - on, and nothing we asked for was too much trouble.
The rooms are of a very high standard- with views which is unusual for New York. The bed was very comfortable and the bedding and pillows first class. The bathroom was well thought through with high quality toiletries and a great shower.
Off the lobby is the attractive lounge area where you can while away time next to the fire or sit out on the terrace. The hotel restaurant is first class too.
This hotel will be my first choice next time in NY.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — It was a bit pricey
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2008

Great stay - even with young children. They made up a fabulous bed in our suite for the kids which they loved. The roomy lobby bar meant adults could enjoy a drink while the children played in the garden area. We all loved the ambience, the courteous and consistently attentive staff and brilliant location. We enjoyed star-spotting too...and felt special too.
We stayed after a nightmare few days at the Hotel Gansevoort and this stood head and shoulders above that poor experience.

• Liked — great service and location
  • Disliked — small bathroom
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Luxembourg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2008

We stayed for 4 nights at the Bowery and found it to be an exceptional hotel in every regard.
From the moment we were greeted by the uber-cool door staff, and the exceptionally friendly and helpful receptionist, it was clear that our hotel choice was not one to regret.
The staff provided great advice on hot-spots to visit, bars and restaurants to try out authentic NY delights, and the best shopping areas.
The room , a king deluxe, was of good size and included tub and shower in a funky decor. What shocked me beyond my expectations was that it was so very very quiet. Noise was locked out, and I'd been told not too expect such a luxury in this mega-city.

I'd had asked in advance for a balcony/terrace room (apparently the Bowery is recognized as having some of the best in NYC), and I was not in the slightest disappointed. It was massive!! Big enough for a small party.

The bar/lounge is excellent, and popular among non-residents - though there were always reserved spaces for hotel guests.

We had a great holiday, and this hotel played a significant part in achieving that. It ain't cheap, but then again, it really shouldn't be.

• Liked — staff, location , style, decor, staff & staff
  • Disliked — the receptionist told me she was responsible for the rain :)
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cambridge, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2008

Want a hotel that will remind you of your first apartment in NYC? Everything in the rooms -- from the white paint on the walls to the furniture that could have come from your grandmother's house -- will remind you of the days of your youth.

But now that you're a grown up, you can avoid the discomforts that came with that first apartment. Yes, the rooms are still small, but you'll have:
1. Privacy and quiet (we never heard anyone else, or much street noise, for that matter),
2. Excellent plumbing (bathroom was tiny, but with a marvelous glassed-in shower),
3. Terrific advice from the front desk on restaurants (we ended up at Mercat, which we loved),
4. A beautiful and comfortable lounge downstairs when you're in the mood for a drink and
5. Room service (delicious and promptly delivered).

What could be better? The decor in the restaurant was odd: trying to be retro, but ending up looking Disney-esque. This didn't take away from the great food, though.

I'll be back.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2008

Located on the noisy Bowery avenue, it is a beautiful building, very well appointed, with a small cosy reception desk and bar. The staff is extremely helpful, nice and unpretentious. The service is perfect and we fell like being home. The corner rooms offer beautiful views and light. The two rooms we had were very well appointed, nice small bathrooms (but no bath). Excellent wifi connection (free!) and comfortable beds. The only drawback is the noise. Bowery is extremely noisy and it is not easy to sleep unless you are totally deaf.
The breakfast is excellent and different. Service is friendly.
There is a nice garden behind,
We have tried over 20 hotels in NY and it is our best experience so far.

• Liked — The staff and the atmosphere
  • Disliked — the street noise
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Bowery Hotel? Share your experiences!