Want a hotel that will remind you of your first apartment in NYC? Everything in the rooms -- from the white paint on the walls to the furniture that could have come from your grandmother's house -- will remind you of the days of your youth.
But now that you're a grown up, you can avoid the discomforts that came with that first apartment. Yes, the rooms are still small, but you'll have:
1. Privacy and quiet (we never heard anyone else, or much street noise, for that matter),
2. Excellent plumbing (bathroom was tiny, but with a marvelous glassed-in shower),
3. Terrific advice from the front desk on restaurants (we ended up at Mercat, which we loved),
4. A beautiful and comfortable lounge downstairs when you're in the mood for a drink and
5. Room service (delicious and promptly delivered).
What could be better? The decor in the restaurant was odd: trying to be retro, but ending up looking Disney-esque. This didn't take away from the great food, though.
I'll be back.