“Great skyline view + rich details + happening location” 5 of 5 stars

The Bowery Hotel
335 Bowery, New York City, NY 10003 (East Village)   |
Ranked #68 of 451 hotels in New York City
Los Angeles
“Great skyline view + rich details + happening location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

My teenage daughter and I stayed at the Bowery for 3 nights.

I had requested - about 3 weeks in advance - a corner king with a bathtub. On our first night, we stayed in room 302, a king room with a terrace overlooking the park and on the remaining nights we stayed in room 1011, a corner king with a bathtub and a skyline view. The terrace room was very quiet; from the corner room, you could hear sounds from the street.

I chose this hotel after seeing it on the Mr. and Mrs. Smith website. I have stayed at a number of their hotel recommendations (URBN/Shanghai, Keppler/Paris, Opposite House/Beijing) and have liked every one. The monogrammed bed linens and all marble bathrooms also appealed to me.

I loved this hotel and here is why:

View
The room had two floor-to-ceiling industrial windows looking north right up to the Empire State building. The bathroom also had a large window so you could enjoy the skyline view while soaking in the oversized marble-surrounded tub. It was fabulous.

Details
Everywhere you look in the room, there are lovely details; brass bathroom fixtures, stained glass panel dividing the hall and the room, gold swirled wallpaper in the wardrobe, folding bedside lamps...it went on forever and I enjoyed looking at every inch of the room.

Location
This was my second visit to NYC and I wasn't sure what I would find in the Bowery. We arrived at 10PM on a Saturday evening and were reassured by the front desk that it was perfectly safe to walk the 8 blocks to dinner. There were a lot of people on the streets, mostly young. There are NYU buildings and the Cooper Union close to the hotel so there are students in the area.

From the hotel, we walked to the following restaurants and bakeries:
Momofuku Noodle Bar

Subway and Taxi
About a 5 minute walk to the subway
About 20-25 minutes by taxi to the Metropolitan Museum of Art

Room Service
I ordered a $4 espresso with heated half & half each morning. It arrived at the very beginning of the time frame requested. Very prompt.

Gemma's
We ate a pizza in the afternoon. I can not recommend the food.

Cleanliness
The room was immaculate.

Water pressure
The volume and pressure of the water was incredible. I live in the land of water saving shower heads and the amount of water in the Bowery showers is not to be believed!

Improvements Needed
The elevators and elevator hallway off the lobby seemed tired and they did not smell good. On one day our room still hadn't been cleaned at 2PM!

Room Tip: North facing. Higher floor. Corner room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

370 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Conn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

First the location is great, Subways close by, Many places to eat, Both High end & Low end.
As others have said the Bedding is 1st rate, But not the bed, It is a platform bed no box spring
not enough comfort for me.
The staff was fine, And yes the lounge area did seem like a club, I got the feeling I wasn't a member.
Bathroom very clean well layed out, A//C great, Windows the open what a treat.
Cost a little high.....Welcome to the big city!

P.S. Bathrooms have rain showers ,No hand helded showers. Hard not to wash your hair

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
beijing
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed in the Bowery hotel over the past weekend and were overwhelmed by the warm hospitality and cofort provided by the team at the hotel. The staff at the desk could not have been more professional and welcoming.... the room very quaint and perfect for the quiet weekend that we desired... the room service arrived almost before we hung up the phone... our questions anticipated prior to request..... Just so refreshing as compared to the "industrial" feel of the large chains or discount properties. Mario in the lounge area creates a "club" like feel where your membership does indeed have privilege! the chance to meet and interact with others or recluse by the fire is wonderful at any time of the year.... the private terrace under glass is also very welcoming... GEMMA next door serves a great breakfast ... the hotel just has it all and is priced very reasonably. i look forward with great anticipation to my next visit to this urban oasis....

Room Tip: for extended stays request larger room size. it will be provided if possible.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed here last year with my son for 2 nights and we both really enjoyed it.
The location is great , very close to Broadway but just far enough away to escape the madness.
I really loved the decor both in the bar and reception area and also in the rooms.
The only problem that I have with this hotel is that I can't get a room for my next visit.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I had the pleasure of spending 3 nights at the Bowery in June of 2012 and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. My room was a standard queen and felt perfect in size. More than enough room for two people. The bath was outstanding. The bedding wonderful. The hotel has a classic, old-world Bohemian style. If you like sleek and modern this isn't your place. However, if you love antiques and a cozy vibe you will be more than pleased with the Bowery. Staff was excellent! The neighborhood it is located in feels safe and is within close walking distance to some of NYC's coolest neighborhoods like the East Village and Soho. It isn't cheap to stay here, but I think the value was outstanding given the fact you are in one of the world's most expensive cities. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

The Bowery is our favorite place to stay in NY. We have stayed here twice - the first time was for one night while we were moving out of NYC. We instantly fell in love with it and couldn't wait to return to the city to stay here (not to mention that it was much more luxurious and comfortable than our tiny Manhattan apt!). We used to live just a few blocks north on 3rd ave and this was the area where we spent our weekends. It is the perfect location for downtown shopping and east village nightlife. Being near a Whole Foods helps as well. Nota Bene: if you are a first time NY visitor and looking for the disneyfied NY (Times Square, Broadway shows, upper 5th ave), then this might not be the location for you. But if you avoid midtown like the plague, I highly recommend this hotel. We will be staying here again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Plattsburgh, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

When our family first discovered The Bowery, it was a gleaming new hotel in a gentrified neighborhood. Now, some of the patina has worn off, but the hotel has stood the test of time and is still a good place to stay. Staff is efficient, friendly, but not too much, and helpful in an of hand New York kind of way. Our room was quiet and kept clean, we even had turn-down service each night, which many hotels in NYC have abandoned.

Room Tip: High floor away from the elevator. Corner king rooms are best, but are taken quickly. Windows actual...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Bowery Hotel? Share your experiences!