“Great Service, Beautiful Suite” 5 of 5 stars

The Bowery Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   335 Bowery, New York City, NY 10003 (East Village)   |
Ranked #66 of 464 Hotels in New York City
San Francisco
“Great Service, Beautiful Suite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

We stayed here for a long weekend (three nights) two weeks ago in a "Bowery Suite." Although I've never stayed at this hotel before, I went there when it was brand new and I was staying in Midtown and a friend was staying at The Bowery. I remember hanging out the beautiful lobby, and I checked out my friend's room, which although lovely, was tiny.

So when we decided to stay here, I went with a suite. Usually a suite at hotel means a separate bedroom and living room. Our suite was one big room, with a small table and two chairs in front of the huge window, another seating area with armchairs and a sofa, and finally the bed, with a very cute Teddy Bear on it. The room was very spacious and had the feel of a renovated industrial loft.

The weather was pretty warm while we were there, so we had the windows open most of the time, and the street noise was pretty intense (and I say this as someone who lives in a very noisy neighborhood in SF). But NYC noise takes it to a whole different level. What is it with NYers and their car horns? Anyway, I bring all this up just to point out that once you close the windows, the noise pretty much disappears. The window also has black-out shades, and since the bed was awesomely comfortable this all made for a good night's sleep.

We ordered room service several times, and the service was always prompt and professional, and the food was very good. Every hotel employee we encountered was friendly and helpful. When we called for things like a bucket of ice, help with the TV (the sound wasn't working and the cable box needed to be reset) we were always told, "We'll send someone up right away!" And they did!

Staying in this neighborhood turned out to be a good choice for us, and we were within walking distance to several places where we had plans. It's ridiculously easy to get a cab anywhere near the hotel when you need one. The doormen seem to take their titles very literally, and were constantly standing at the front doors opening them, but they didn't ever seem to be out on the sidewalk when we needed a cab, but like I said it was no problem getting one. I think our longest wait was about 30 seconds.

All-in-all this was a great stay and a beautiful hotel, and we got great service. I'd definitely stay there again, and would probably try to get a suite with a patio if it was warm weather. We had a lot of plans in our short time there, so didn't have any time to hang around the common areas of the hotel to enjoy them, but just passing through on our way to our room, I couldn't help notice that all the guests/visitors look like movie stars, so good people watching!

And last but not least, I miss the huge bathtub. After walking around the city all day, it was a great way to unwind.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

Stayed at The Bowery for business for a nine nights....I loved my room on the 9th floor overlooking a park like area below. I requested a quiet room. I stayed at The Mercer last year and I didn't get one wink of sleep from all the noise. The bed was super comfy and I slept like a baby. The food from Gemma was good and consistent. My only disappointment was not reserving a room with a tub. My parents stayed one night in a corner room and they were very pleased with both the room (had a large tub) and the service. I indulged in two in-room massages by Aisha who was amazing.
I come to NYC twice a year for fashion week and I have stayed at many boutique hotels. This is by far my hotel of choice. The whole staff was friendly, the concierge (Jamie) was most helpful with suggestions and making all my reservations etc. It is in a great location yet removed from the Soho/Noho crowds.
The rooms are standard size for NY, no frills but a bit dusty. The lobby was cool, hip and packed with various celebs.

I highly recommend the Bowery and will return in February for a rinse & repeat.

Room Tip: I would suggest a quiet room and on higher levels...A corner room is great too.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Phoenix, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed here for six days, and we loved everything about it. We had a corner room on the ninth floor. My husband is a light sleeper, and never had a problem even with the busy street below. We started every night with drinks in the lobby bar, which puts all other lobby bars to shame with its elegant, yet warm atmosphere. Guests of the hotel are assured a spot in the lobby, while non-guests may be turned away. There is a very popular Italian restaurant attached - we didn't actually eat there, but instead ordered it to our room after walking about 10 miles one day. It was delicious. And having never been to NYC, I was expecting people to be rude, but all of the staff makes sure that your visit is special. I think it is well worth the price.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

Great hotel in hip and real NYC -- great rooms and great location, a true classic with modern amenities. One of those places to see and be seen without being pretentious at all. As I said, totally real

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

This hotel was recommended to my by the conceirge at the Crosby Street because Crosby was full. Terrible mistake. There is a private party space on the second floor. My room was on the third. Checking in at 11 p.m. on a Wednesday night, the loud music and heavy cigarette smoke were already filling my $525 room. I called the front desk to complain. They said there were no other rooms available and not to worry-- the "private event" on the second floor would be over by 2 a.m. The ipod docking station did not work with my iphone, so I couldn't use my white noise app to try to drown out the pounding. It wouldn't have helped anyway because the whole room was shaking with every beat of the bass. I was all ready to have a frank discussion with the front desk upon checkout when they asked, "How was your stay?" but they didn't even ask. I was so tired and cranky and glad to be leaving, I didn't even bother trying to complain again. Clearly, this hotel is not interested in business travelers and could not have cared less that my stay was miserable. It's an unusual business model for the "hospitality" industry, but it must be working for them--all the rooms had "Privacy Please" signs on them when I left at 8 a.m.

I needed to print some documents before work. No business center here...closest is a FedEx store about 5 blocks north. But don't try to take a cab because there are none---at least not at 8 a.m. The doorman stood cluelessly in the street staring into the empty street when I asked him to get me a taxi. Eventually, I just walked.

I did not give the place one star because, setting aside everything, it is clean and "comfortable." No ick factor---other than the thick and disgusting cigarette smoke which had largely dissipated by morning. Being able to open the window helped with that. I wish they had spent some time and money on sound insulation instead of focusing on making the brass fixtures look old. I am sure I would have appreciated the charm and vintage feel more if I had gotten more than a couple hours' sleep.

Room Tip: Avoid the third floor
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
BoweryHotel, General Manager at The Bowery Hotel, responded to this review, September 21, 2011
Dear Guest,

I hope that you received our email. We were extremely upset to learn of the experience you suffered while staying here. We understand how paramount it is for our guests to have a restful stay, the very least being an uninterrupted night’s sleep. Unfortunately, Fashion Week is the only time of the year when our event space is booked throughout the week and the events go on a little later – this also coincides with a sold out period in the hotel. Usually, our events end before midnight but they may run a bit later on the weekends. We are very conscientious though in regards to the type of events that we book and try our best to book those events that will not be disturbing to our guests. With the design of the building, we are conscious that some event noise may be heard from the 3rd floor, but we always try to give our guests advance notice of this and try our best to move guests if they are being disturbed. As you were one of the last guests to arrive, the room on the 3rd floor was unfortunately the last room available.

There is no explanation as to why our Front Desk didn’t ask about your stay. We pride ourselves on our interaction with our guests and our customer service. The lack of attention you received is not acceptable. Had we known that you needed documents printed for work, we would have offered to print them for you at the Front Desk. As for the iPod dock – thank you for alerting our attention to it. We had it fixed immediately.

The level of service that you experienced does not at all represent the hotel that our frequent guests (many of whom are business travelers) have come to expect or the hotel we strive to be.

I hope that you were satisfied with the offer we made in our email to you. Please feel free to contact us with any questions at all.

Kind regards,

Kirk Wilson
The Bowery Hotel
LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

This hotel is like a vacation to Europe. The lobby and bar are so beautiful!!! They have a huge mansion fire place and the service was off the chart. My room was beautiful with a full wall of windows and a great view!!! The sheets were the softest I have ever felt. It was quiet and I slept like a baby. Room service was fast and 4 star delicious!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

the service was welcoming,the view of cooper square was "real new york, the room was good size. the lobby is GORGEOUS!..like a 1880 london victorian mansion and a redhot scene at night. the in hotel restaurant Gemma is outstandig( sat next to english movie star steve coogan),but what we liked most was the location. just walk in any direction..walking distance from the angelika movie theatre or the sunshine(arthouse )movie theatre..3 blocks from the boutiques of nolita...actually in the east village ..5 blocks from soho..5 blocks from little italy 5 blocks from china town...and the restaurants...a good value for the buzz and location

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple