“I wish I could live in the Bowery Hotel.” 5 of 5 stars

The Bowery Hotel
335 Bowery, New York City, NY 10003 (East Village)   |
Ranked #67 of 451 hotels in New York City
Phoenix, AZ
“I wish I could live in the Bowery Hotel.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed here for six days, and we loved everything about it. We had a corner room on the ninth floor. My husband is a light sleeper, and never had a problem even with the busy street below. We started every night with drinks in the lobby bar, which puts all other lobby bars to shame with its elegant, yet warm atmosphere. Guests of the hotel are assured a spot in the lobby, while non-guests may be turned away. There is a very popular Italian restaurant attached - we didn't actually eat there, but instead ordered it to our room after walking about 10 miles one day. It was delicious. And having never been to NYC, I was expecting people to be rude, but all of the staff makes sure that your visit is special. I think it is well worth the price.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

371 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

Great hotel in hip and real NYC -- great rooms and great location, a true classic with modern amenities. One of those places to see and be seen without being pretentious at all. As I said, totally real

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

This hotel was recommended to my by the conceirge at the Crosby Street because Crosby was full. Terrible mistake. There is a private party space on the second floor. My room was on the third. Checking in at 11 p.m. on a Wednesday night, the loud music and heavy cigarette smoke were already filling my $525 room. I called the front desk to complain. They said there were no other rooms available and not to worry-- the "private event" on the second floor would be over by 2 a.m. The ipod docking station did not work with my iphone, so I couldn't use my white noise app to try to drown out the pounding. It wouldn't have helped anyway because the whole room was shaking with every beat of the bass. I was all ready to have a frank discussion with the front desk upon checkout when they asked, "How was your stay?" but they didn't even ask. I was so tired and cranky and glad to be leaving, I didn't even bother trying to complain again. Clearly, this hotel is not interested in business travelers and could not have cared less that my stay was miserable. It's an unusual business model for the "hospitality" industry, but it must be working for them--all the rooms had "Privacy Please" signs on them when I left at 8 a.m.

I needed to print some documents before work. No business center here...closest is a FedEx store about 5 blocks north. But don't try to take a cab because there are none---at least not at 8 a.m. The doorman stood cluelessly in the street staring into the empty street when I asked him to get me a taxi. Eventually, I just walked.

I did not give the place one star because, setting aside everything, it is clean and "comfortable." No ick factor---other than the thick and disgusting cigarette smoke which had largely dissipated by morning. Being able to open the window helped with that. I wish they had spent some time and money on sound insulation instead of focusing on making the brass fixtures look old. I am sure I would have appreciated the charm and vintage feel more if I had gotten more than a couple hours' sleep.

Room Tip: Avoid the third floor
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
BoweryHotel, General Manager at The Bowery Hotel, responded to this review, September 21, 2011
Dear Guest,

I hope that you received our email. We were extremely upset to learn of the experience you suffered while staying here. We understand how paramount it is for our guests to have a restful stay, the very least being an uninterrupted night’s sleep. Unfortunately, Fashion Week is the only time of the year when our event space is booked throughout the week and the events go on a little later – this also coincides with a sold out period in the hotel. Usually, our events end before midnight but they may run a bit later on the weekends. We are very conscientious though in regards to the type of events that we book and try our best to book those events that will not be disturbing to our guests. With the design of the building, we are conscious that some event noise may be heard from the 3rd floor, but we always try to give our guests advance notice of this and try our best to move guests if they are being disturbed. As you were one of the last guests to arrive, the room on the 3rd floor was unfortunately the last room available.

There is no explanation as to why our Front Desk didn’t ask about your stay. We pride ourselves on our interaction with our guests and our customer service. The lack of attention you received is not acceptable. Had we known that you needed documents printed for work, we would have offered to print them for you at the Front Desk. As for the iPod dock – thank you for alerting our attention to it. We had it fixed immediately.

The level of service that you experienced does not at all represent the hotel that our frequent guests (many of whom are business travelers) have come to expect or the hotel we strive to be.

I hope that you were satisfied with the offer we made in our email to you. Please feel free to contact us with any questions at all.

Kind regards,

Kirk Wilson
The Bowery Hotel
LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

This hotel is like a vacation to Europe. The lobby and bar are so beautiful!!! They have a huge mansion fire place and the service was off the chart. My room was beautiful with a full wall of windows and a great view!!! The sheets were the softest I have ever felt. It was quiet and I slept like a baby. Room service was fast and 4 star delicious!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

the service was welcoming,the view of cooper square was "real new york, the room was good size. the lobby is GORGEOUS!..like a 1880 london victorian mansion and a redhot scene at night. the in hotel restaurant Gemma is outstandig( sat next to english movie star steve coogan),but what we liked most was the location. just walk in any direction..walking distance from the angelika movie theatre or the sunshine(arthouse )movie theatre..3 blocks from the boutiques of nolita...actually in the east village ..5 blocks from soho..5 blocks from little italy 5 blocks from china town...and the restaurants...a good value for the buzz and location

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

I've now stayed at the Bowery twice. Both times, my experience was fabulous. The place does that rare thing--it combines total comfort with total cool. The rooms are tastefully appointed, the restuarant, Gemma, is excellent, for all meals of the day, the bar is wonderful, the workout area is first-rate--highly functional and stylish at once, and the staff is very friendly and efficient. And then there's the scene there--extremely hip--Mad Men hip, belle epoque hip--you just feel more beautiful and cool when you're there.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

Stayed there for three nights in July. The staff were friendly and helpful. They pointed us to a great nearby restaurant (FIve Points). The room was spotless and nicely decorated. I did not feel that it was small, particularly given that it was NYC. Certainly our usual hotel room in Paris is smaller. (We had a room with a king bed, but not a suite.) The bathroom was decorated with a bit of a Bowery theme - all brass fixtures. The shower is a major downpour.

Our room was facing the back I think, and overlooked a standard garden in the middle of a block. I thought I detected a bit of music/noise one night, but fell back asleep. My partner didn't mention it, so I'm not sure there was an issue. (We are generally particularly sensitive to such.)

For us, the location is perfect, between the East Village and Soho.

The attached restaurant is very popular, but a little dense with trendy 20-somethings. The appetizers were excellent, but our mains were not outstanding.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Bowery Hotel? Share your experiences!