“Great service, Great Location, Will stay here again” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn New York/Tribeca

You added Hilton Garden Inn New York/Tribeca to your Saves list
Hilton Garden Inn New York/Tribeca
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   39 Avenue of the Americas, New York City, NY 10013 (TriBeCa)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Parking Package
Ranked #142 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Seattle, Washington
“Great service, Great Location, Will stay here again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2010

Though we checked in pretty late (close to midnight), check in was a breeze as they had everything already set and basically just gave us the key to our room. Every employee that we encountered greeted us and were very friendly. We asked for a few suggestions for dinner and the places that they suggested were all great.
On the first night the TV wouldn't turn on. We called the front desk and within 5, at most, there was someone at our door to fix it. Turns out that WE were the ones that had pressed something wrong. LOL.
The room we had was a bit small, but nothing that made it uncomfortable. Afterall, it's New York and I knew that it would be a little smaller than say, a Las Vegas sized room. The location is fantastic!! Right above the Canal St. station so it was incredibly easy to come and go. Oh, and don't miss the delicious cookies that are set out in the lobby every evening. Very tasty!!
We really enjoyed our stay and we will be staying here on our next trip to New York.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

My sister and I felt lucky in many ways, we had a printed map of the hotel location, there is a fixed taxi rate from JFK and it was after midnight, so not much traffic. With our directions the taxi driver could find this place, although it was not in a straight line and took longer than should have been.

Despite the fact that it was late in the evening or early morning hours, we were immediately assisted with our luggage (and it was also taken to our room). The lobby is small and a friendly girl checked us in. Our room was on the street side, but it was quiet enough to have a good night sleep. The room is not spacious, but can do very well for New York standards. There were two very good queen beds, a working desk with chair, a unit with microwave and refrigerator and a chest of drawers with a LCD TV on top. The bathroom was okay, not spacious but still plenty of room for our own things. Everything was clean and in top condition.

For my Diamond HHonors status I was given vouchers for breakfast and that was good. The employees were friendly, but it could be done more efficient and in a better tempo. Especially the women who work there pay much attention to single businessman (or are constantly flirting). Have not used the restaurant for dinner.

In the basement is a business center with two computers and printers for free use.

The location is great. We could walk to China Town, Ground Zero, Wall Street and the ferry to Staten Island. Going uptown was as easy with the metro entrance next to the hotel.

There were always two people at the front desk, one of them being some kind of concierge. He tried several times to sell us tours. We refused these trips, but he came very handy for arranging airport transfer. It is possible to have a fixed rate, both with a taxi and a limousine. We took the latter and were very pleased we did. It was reasonable priced (80 US), right on time and again we felt very lucky. Our transfer in Lincoln Towncar with a careful driver went very smooth, despite the much snow that was falling that afternoon in February.

I booked direct on the Hilton website, had a good rate and can recommend this hotel for a nice stay in New York.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

I chose this Hotel because of its easy access from the Holland tunnel and proximity to NYU. As a frequent Hilton Garden Inn guest, I found this hotel to be smaller than usual. The lobby/breakfast areas are small so lower your expectations. The room-perhaps because we had an end room was not the typical layout. There was no dresser for storing clothes and the tv was attached randomly on the wall. Every inch of space was filled with furniture which made it appear smaller than it already was. The room was up to standard with its cleanliness. The cost was RIDICULOUS. Quiet. Hotel staff was great. None of that city attitude. Great restaurant on the hotel property-but not run by the hotel. Valet parking expensive for SUV. I would stay again because I know what to expect.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Plymouth, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

I liked this Hilton Garden Inn very much. The staff (especially housekeeping) really helped to make me feel welcome. I stayed for 5 nights to experience NYC. The location is great, as the hotel is located above the Canal St. subway stop. Buying an unlimited 7 day transit (subway & bus) pass is well worth the $27 cost. My room was right on 6th St. on the second floor above the restaurant. I heard no noise from the restaurant & minimal street noise. The little noise/vibration that there was came from the train, but even this was minimal.

Housekeeping was excellent each day. Towels & toiletries were refreshed & the room was always cleaned. The front desk staff was very accommodating and pleasant.

I've heard quite a bit about NYC hotel rooms being tiny. This was just the opposite. My king bed room was about the same size as other Hilton Garden Inn's I've stayed at in the past. Plenty of room for two people. Only complaint is that the bathroom is pretty small (but functional).

There are many good restaurants within a 5 to 10 minute walk. Greenwich Village and SoHo are both within 15-20 minutes away by foot. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to stay in a locale that isn't right in the heart of Manhattan (but is very convenient to public transportation).

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

I stayed here for a week and plan on returning on future trips. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms are big enough for NYC and very clean. The beds are great and are the best hotel beds I have slept in. Location is perfect too, with the subway right around the corner, about a minute away.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Kinnelon NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

I stayed here for a solo "Mommy's getaway" courtesy of my husband's Hilton Honors points. I was pleased to see that the photos and room descriptions completely matched what we saw on the website. The staff was professional, helpful, and pleasant, as you'd expect from a Hilton. I arrived 2 hours early, but was allowed to check in early and my room was far more spacious than other hotels in this price range. Very airy, pleasant, clean, plenty of closet space, and large windows overlooking the neighborhood. Other pluses were free internet access, the in-room coffemaker, the mini fridge, and tons of premium movie channels on the flat screen TV. Downstairs there was all day coffee and tea at no extra charge. Bed and linens plush and cozy- I had a great sleep, and as a solo woman traveler, also felt very safe in this hotel.

Only disappointment was the adjoining restaurant- wait staff seemed not up to HIlton's standards, both at breakfast and at Happy Hour. I know it's Tribeca, so perhaps only the trendy people get smiles and immediate attention. Brunch was substandard to what I've experienced at a free breakfast buffet, so I passed and asked the front desk for a bakery recommendation nearby and was more than pleased at her suggestion. There are tons of great restaurants nearby, so I'd just avoid the in house restaurant on my next stay here.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

If you're on a budget and you can get a great deal here - the rates seem to vary pretty drastically, but I'd imagine that's relative to the rates elsewhere in NYC, too - then snap it up. I've seem some very reasonable prices here, and the location is perfect. Even if you're not interested in downtown Manhattan (and why wouldn't you be?), the A/C/E trains are right outside the door.

If price isn't a major issue, then this place isn't a slam dunk. The bed was quite literally the most uncomfortable hotel bed I've slept on in at least ten years. The bedding was even shoddy. The blackout curtains in my room didn't actually cover the entire (small) window, rendering them useless. And there's no room service, which under most circumstances wouldn't be that big a deal since the place is surrounded by eateries and bars (and delivery options are plentiful), but sometimes you just want a no-brainer evening with room service and a movie (of which there are none on demand either - standard cable).

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Garden Inn New York/Tribeca? Share your experiences!