“Popular and rightfull so” 5 of 5 stars
Review of S'MAC

S'MAC
345 East 12th Street, New York City, NY 10003 (East Village)
(212) 358-7912
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night
Neighborhood: East Village
Montreal, Canada
“Popular and rightfull so”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

One of the first things you think of when it comes to the bistro culinary experiences in NYC would probably be either bagels or mac'n'cheese. S'MAC is somewhat of an on-the-go place where people don't necessarily pick-up and eat right away nor stay for a 2-hour meal. It's very well priced and provides generous portions of mac'n'cheese. The place does tend to get crowded during the lunch and supper time apparently, but we had no issue whatsoever when it came to finding a spot after 7pm. Then again, what place does not get crowded around supper time in Manhattan?
Overall, a pretty pleasant fast food experience, I would certainly come back and grab a bite there again.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Newton, Massachusetts
“Delicious but crowded”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

I went with my wife and kids on our last visit to NYC. My daughter had been wanting to go for a while. Luckily eating on the kid's schedule had us there at 5:30pm and we still had to 'vulture' for a table. Unfortunately by 6:00pm the place was so crowded one could not move. Several patron seemed to have printed GroupOns, so I guess the traffic was atypical.
The place itself is pretty run down and has a "B" grade from NYC. However, the Mac was delicious. The kids had 4 cheese and my wife had veggie, which were all worth it because we had a seat! The last 30 minutes were spent fending off GroupOners.
The busy Take-Out option 2 doors down might have been better (the GroupOn had to Eat In).

New York City, New York
“Get the Buffalo Chicken!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

My roommates and I purchased the Groupon deal for 1 major munch size Mac N Cheese (Sarita's recommendation only- not the build your own...) and 1 beer/wine each.

Atmosphere: I really hope you are a quick little ninja because that will help you secure a seat (especially if there are 4+ of you!). As previously mentioned by other Yelpers, the seating is limited, it is extremely cramped. If that is not your thing and you are slightly claustrophobic, I do not recommend this restaurant. If you are okay with getting to know your neighbor a little more and enjoy the cozy, intimate atmosphere, then by all means this is for YOU keep reading!!

Service: I didn't receive any rude attitude towards me nor did I feel unwanted by the cashier. She was pleasant, smiled, was extremely friendly. So... maybe it's a different girl, or maybe she was having a good day. I was pretty happy with the service.

Food: DELICIOUS!!! I was able to try Mediterranean (4/5, unique flavor), Cajun (3/5, not really my thing), Napoletana (2/5, snooze fest. Just tasted like a light pizza in a tomato cream sauce), and my order of Buffalo Chicken (5/5 baby YUM!). The reason for the 1 star deduction was the skimping of chicken. There were very few pieces of chicken in the dish- I'm sure I could count the number on 1 hand. Luckily, the flavor was incredible and the mac and cheese was so delicious it really didn't need to have a huge helping of chicken. I just like a little balance in textures, that's all. Bubbly, crispy on top fresh from the oven. They don't wait for everyone's meals to finish before giving you yours so it's piping hot. Unless you're the polite kind that waits for the rest of your party's food to arrive before you devour - I am not.

Overall: 4/5! Great food, in a hole in wall small ish place. Great comfort food for the colder temperatures.
Tip: Take out is about two doors down (so don't waste your time in the crowded line for no reason, like the people in front of us did!).

Bay Shore, New York, United States
“Food is delicious, service...well...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I had found this place through Groupon and decided to try it out. The menu has a lot of options including the classic All-American and the Cajun which my wife and I tried. We both really loved our dishes. Portions were good, the cheese was creamy, and noodles cooked perfectly.

The only downside to this place is it's size. It clearly was not big enough to handle the amount of customers it draws. They had to turn people away at one point. We waited about 20 mins just to order (During which my wife had to snipe out a table for us). Then they told us it would be 40 mins before we could get our food. We had already bought the Groupon, so we decided to wait. It was actually about 75 mins before we received our food.

The food was worth the wait, but if you come in hungry looking for quick food, you will be disappointed in the wait.

Overall, give it a go, but try to go at an off-time.

Winnipeg, Canada
“yum yum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

Excellent mac and cheese! Very good if you have allergies or you're vegan/vegetarian they have lot's of options for you!

• Visited August 2013