“Hotel and Staff were outstanding !!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express NYC Madison Square Garden

You added Holiday Inn Express NYC Madison Square Garden to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express NYC Madison Square Garden
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   232 West 29th Street, New York City, NY 10001 (Chelsea)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #207 of 463 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Norfolk, Virginia
“Hotel and Staff were outstanding !!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights. Hotel was close to everything.Located in a clean safe feeling area. Our room was nice and clean with a nice comfortable bed and pillows. My wife who always complains about hotel beds, loved the bed here so much that she did not want to get up in the mornings. The hotel has a new feeling to it. The front desk was very helpful and attentive, especially Mathew who greeted us with a warm smile and personally attended to all of our needs. He really went out of his way to make us feel welcome. Something that I will always remember. We arrived early in the morning and he gladly let us leave our bags there until check in and upon checking out, they kept our bags until later that afternoon when we were ready to leave NYC. which really helped us a lot. I'm a sports fan and I have to admit the flat screen T v in our room really made the players come to life. The television was the sharpest I've seen. The breakfast was good and plentiful.... we had no problems with seating. Cant say enough about this hotel. Just an outstanding experience. Plan to return to NYC very soon and will not stay anywhere else but here. Highly recommend. Again thanks Mathew.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MJDempsey, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express NYC Madison Square Garden, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear andre903,
Thank you for your stay and kind review! They say a person who loves their job, never works a day in their life. I couldn't agree more. The staff and I are dedicated to helping our guests in any way.
Please come back so that we can take excellent care of you again.
Matthew Dempsey/Front Office Manger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Polish first
canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed at this Holiday Inn Express July 16-20. I used reward points for one night and paid for 3 nights. My price did go down a week before so I rebooked at the lower rate. We arrived at the hotel early, around 11am. Our room wasn't ready so staff checked our luggage for us in a room behind the counter, so it felt reasonably safe.

We parked at the Little Man Parking which was just a few buildings away. The cost was $30 per night and you have to get the hotel to validate your ticket. At night we noticed the parking lot was always gated up. Like most NYC parking lots, cars are put on lifts...so give yourself extra time when it comes time to leave.

I stayed in this room with my husband and two teenagers. It was tight but comfortable. The room is the size of a small cruise ship room. We each had a carry-on size luggage and found a space for each. I don't know how anyone with big suitcases would manage. There is a little closet and a small safe in it. There wasn't any room in the bathroom for a toiletries bag but we did have room to put some bottles out on the counter.

The room is decorated very nice, granite touches, and modern. Nothing to complain about here. There was a heatwave while we were there and the a/c worked good.

We had a corner room on the 11th floor. I didn't hear too much noise from the room next door but could hear conversations clearly when I was in the hallway. I hope we weren't too loud.

There was a coffee maker tucked underneath the bedside table. I didn't notice this until a few days in. I don't think I would have used it though as there was always cold and hot water available downstairs in the breakfast area.

There are two elevators. They fill up fast, so it felt like an advantage to have a high floor. A few times people couldn't get on the elevator as we made stops on the way down to the lobby.

Weekday staff was very engaging and helpful. I noticed as people checked out, they were asked to write a review on TA. Weekend staff looked disinterested. Nothing bad, just completely different than the weekday staff.

Breakfast was crazy! There are lots of tables inside and outside but it was so hot, most people stayed in. The staff did a great job replenishing the food....eggs,sausages,biscuits, gravy, milk, juices, water, tea, coffee, bananas, apples, muffins, bagels, bread, cinnamon buns, cereal, pancakes, oatmeal, etc....There was lots of variety and the food was satisfactory (in contrast to the previous Holiday Inn Express we stayed in where the eggs were inedible). It's always great to have breakfast taken care of with a family of 4.

There is a business center in the basement with a printer which I used to print out google maps and directions.

My only problem with our stay was the lack of bath, hand and face towels in our room. The first two days we had 3 towels, then one day we got 4, then 2....I'm not sure why they don't put 4 bath and 4 face towels in the room each day. Granted I never got around to complaining about this (we just used the hand towels) but it should have been automatic. Beyond that, the room was clean and other supplies replenished.

The location is about a comfortable 20 minute walk to Times Square, 30 minute walk to Central Park, and 25 minute walk to Chelsea market via the Highline. It's between 7th and 8th avenue which has plenty of subway stations. One train will take you to the Museum of Natural History, Brooklyn, Greenwich, Times Square, Uniqlo at 5th avenue. Most stations are in between 3-10 minutes away. The M4 bus which goes down Madison ave takes you all the way to the Met museum.

The area around the hotel is a bit bland. There's parking lots and not much too exciting. About 5-10 minutes away on 7th ave are quite a few shops...uniqlo, fossil, macy's, etc. Not much exciting when it came to restaurants though and they seem to close early.

All in all...good location close to subway stations & shopping. Good clean, renovated, modern hotel. If you like walking a lot (30 minutes in all directions) this is a great location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear alpenmicho,
Thank you for your review and recent stay! You have passed along great information to your fellow travelers. We have newly renovated rooms with all the amenities, I'm glad you found the coffee pot. Our staff likes to make sure our guests are having a good time and to see if they need anything during your stay.
I hope you will stay with us the next time you are in NYC.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

A fairly average hotel in a good location. Rooms and beds were comfortable and breakfast was good. Room cleaning was not good, found previous occupants shoes etc stuffed down the side of the bed and carpets in the hallway need replacing of vacuuming. Wifi is intermittent so frustrating if you need to do any work.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Les D,
Thank you for your review! My apologies for the find in the room. Housekeeping is working harder than ever to prevent such a thing in the future. We have also just upgraded our WIFi and it is FAST!!! I hope you will with stay with us again and see our improvements.
Please let me know if there is anything I can do for your future stay.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

It's located just south of Penn station. You're walking distance to the Times Square and Empire State Building and other attractions. The staff are wonderful. They served good breakfast although the lobby could get crowded easily but there is more seating on the outside. Overall wonderful experience , highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Iam_Sam90,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a review! I'm so glad you had a wonderful experience. It is our goal for all of our guests. Our locations lets our guests easily enjoy all the NYC has to offer.
We look forward to your next stay.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stayed here for a night to catch up with a friend. Check in was very smooth and got a corner room. As expected they were New York size but great to use as a base to explore. Free breakfast and friendly staff. When my room key didn't work (twice) the manager Matthew accompanied me up to my room to ensure it finally worked. Would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013
Oak Hill, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Have stayed here a few times and will always go back when going to NYC. Hotel still feels new, rooms in great shape, very clean. Staff always friendly, thanks Indira, Arnold & Fahad!

Location can't be beat--close to Penn Station, Macy's, our favorite Greek restaurant, Uncle Nick's.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bob J,
Thank you for your FIVE STAR REVIEW! We love having you stay with us. The staff is always glad to help out with directions, reservations and subway help. Our location makes it easy to get everywhere.
We look forward to your next trip.
Mahomet, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Having never been to New York, this experience was quite memorable. We were greeted at the Holiday Inn Express by Indira, the front desk clerk who was extremely helpful. She got us checked in quickly and was friendly and helpful. She gave us directions on multiple occasions and really helped to make our stay at the Holiday Inn Express a good one. The rooms were small and there was no pool but when you come to New York you are not likely to be staying in your room other than to sleep.
Appreciated the breakfast included in the room rate. All of the taxes added to the room will SHOCK YOU!

Room Tip: The ice machine is on the main floor!