“Worst stay” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express NYC - Madison Square Garden

You added Holiday Inn Express NYC - Madison Square Garden to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express NYC - Madison Square Garden
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   232 West 29th Street, New York City, NY 10001-5201 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #193 of 459 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
toronto,ontario,canada
“Worst stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I booked a room the day before my arrival into Nyc,I checked in with a lady at the front desk she advised me that since I didn't have my card I would have to pay the full amount and a fifty dollars incidental charge which will be returned to me at my check out..so I agreed I paid the full amount and the incidental fees. While she was checking me in,it seemed like she had an attitude and took her so long to check in. I finally got in my room...as I usually do I contact my bank to get information on exchange rates..they advised me that there was a charge to my card from the hotel for the rate of the room. I just payed cash for the full rate for one night so why didn't they inform me that they already removed the funds from my card...instead i payed twice for one night...I called the front desk and spoke to a gentlemen who apologized for the mistake and advised me to come downstairs to get a refund for the extra charges. I go downstairs and he was busy, so I go to the same woman who checked me in and before I can say anything she tells me that she already knew about the issue and I would get my refund. She provided me with my refund. The next day as I was checking out I requested for the fifty dollars to be returned to me...she responded by asking me how did I want to pay for the night I stayed at the hotel....lol I was so furious it seemed like she had a case of amnesia....I already paid for the hotel so now I'm supposed to pay again? ?? At that point I was livid,there was a long line of people checking in and. I asked to speak to someone else..she got someone else...while I was speaking to the lady she kept looking at me rolling her eyes and getting into the conversation I was having with the lady. Finally my fifty dollars was given back to me but I will never stay there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Maggie H, Manager at Holiday Inn Express NYC - Madison Square Garden, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear makoumba m,

I am certainly very sorry for the issues you encountered at our hotel. My staff is continually praised for the service we deliver to our patrons and I am very dishearted that we did not live up to our reputation during your visit.

Unfortunately, although the hotel is permitted to authorize credit cards that are used to reserve a room, we are not permitted to use the reservation card for payment unless we are able to physically swipe it into our operating system. This was the reason behind our needing to acquire full, advanced cash payment upon your arrival. While this is standard practice for the hotel, we should have certainly taken the time to explain this process to you in greater detail so that you were not left feeling mislead.

Please be assured that I am also researching which staff member dealt with you directly. This staff member's demeanor was certainly unacceptable and will not be tolerated. We work as a team to ensure the happiness of our guests and I am again extremely sorry that we left you with a less than ideal opinion of our hotel.

I would certainly appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back if you would give us the chance. Please reach out to me directly. I would love to have you experience a true stay at our property.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

This was my first time visiting New York so I didn't know what to expect and was a little indecisive on where exactly to stay during my trip. I must say that I made a good choice choosing this hotel. I used my priority points to book my stay and check in was so quick and easy. The front desk associate,Victor, was so polite, professional, and knowlegeable about the city that we felt as if we weren't tourists and answered any questions we had about the hotel. The rooms were clean and housekeeping did an outstanding job on keeping things stocked in the rooms. The location was great! We even walked to Times Square a couple of times and Penn station is only a couple blocks away. If I visit New York again, I'll definitely have this hotel on my list of places to stay. Again, the staff was amazing. Good job!!

• Stayed April 2013
Maggie H, Owner at Holiday Inn Express NYC - Madison Square Garden, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear vcualumni09,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Madison Square Garden. I am very pleased that we helped to make your first visit to NYC very enjoyable. I have already shared your kind words with Victor and the rest of the team. We are very lucky to have a very passionate team who strive to share the city they love with those who visit! Thank you for recognizing our effort!

Please give us first consideration for a return visit. We would love to welcome you back!

Warmest Regards,

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Booked 2 nights this weekend at the Holiday Inn near Penn Station / Madison Square Garden with rewards points. This hotel was really great. Very very clean rooms and common areas, quiet hotel, we didn't hear any disturbances from inside our room, great hot and cold free breakfast, and cute patio tables out front which we would've used more if it was warmer out! There was a subway stop 1 block from the hotel, and it was in a really good west side location. We had 4 girls in our room and there wasn't a lot of room to spare b/c its a NYC hotel, but it worked out great! And, best of all, we had a view of the empire state building from our room!!

Room Tip: We were in 1006 and had a view of the Empire State Building.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Maggie H, Manager at Holiday Inn Express NYC - Madison Square Garden, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear jlp306,

Thank you very much for the 5 star review! We are very pleased that you enjoyed your "girls weekend" at our hotel. We would certainly appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back!

West Chester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Only 7 floors above Midtown, I was impressed by how quiet it was in my room. In fact, I was impressed by everything at this hotel.

I arrived from the train about 9:30 AM and went here first to store my bags. Front desk was kind enough to try to find a room for me, but it was way too early. Elevator is fast, everything is very clean. For Manhattan the rooms are pretty large, but not quite as large as you'd find in a rural area. This was my first time at the hotel, and I plan to use it again often. It is in a very convenient location for me.

Room Tip: Rooms are well sound-proofed, but it is Midtown Manhattan. Put fan on constant running to completel...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Maggie H, Manager at Holiday Inn Express NYC - Madison Square Garden, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear PAMan804,

Thank you very much for taking the view to review your stay! I am very happy to hear that you were impressed with all aspects of your visit and that you plan to come stay with us again!

We look forward to welcoming you back on a future trip to New York City!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I guess with the name Holiday Inn Express, you shouldn't expect a place where you can spread out and relax. The rooms are pretty small but you shouldn't waste your time in New York sitting in a hotel room.

This is a very clean hotel on a relatively quiet street near Madison Square Garden. By quiet, I mean that it's not on a main avenue. There are a lot of offices and small shops that were closed on the weekend. A quick walk down the block to either 7th or 8th will yield numerous shops and there are plenty of cabs if you can hail one. There's complimentary breakfast downstairs until 10, i think. They offer prefab eggs with a layer of cheese within, pancakes, cereals, etc.

This is a pretty convenient location if you need to go to Penn Station/ Madison Square Garden. The Empire State building is within walking distance as is Time Square, provided you are not a sedentary individual.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Maggie H, Manager at Holiday Inn Express NYC - Madison Square Garden, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Kelly301,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Madison Square Garden. We are pleased to hear that you found our hotel ideally located and ideal for those hoping to visit the Empire State Building or Times Square.

We are pleased to hear that you and your family enjoyed yourselves and would certainly appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back on a return visit!

Best,

Mundelein, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Business trip, have NEVER had a room so small. Bathrooms with no counter for morning rituals, right out of a Red Roof Inn or Travel Lodge. No closet, rather a 2' cupboard. It's midnight and the hallway sounds as if there's a convention going on. Extremely dated. Oh, free breakfast, big deal...at $350+ a nite they should be serving it in my tiny room. They've had to move me, ironically each room has had tissue boxes with, maybe, 6 tissues. When I asked for more, the attendant opened a storage closet with a multitude of opened, partially used boxes. WHAT IS THIS? No, a new box PLEASE.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Carey L,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am very sorry to hear that you did not find our hotel exceeded your expenctations. I will certainly share your feedback with my team to see what enhancements we can make to improve the experience we deliver to our guests.

Warrington, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

This hotel was very nice, very close to many attractions and very near Penn Station. The lobby was clean and the staff was welcoming and helpful. Separate parking is across the street and the hotel contracts with the company so the fee was very reasonable compared to other lots in the city. Our room had a whirlpool and king bed and was very comfortable and clean; a little pricey but it's New York so the cost was expected. My husband enjoyed the complimenatry hot breakfast and appreciated the variety and freshness of the food. I had to leave before 6 in the morning so I unfortunately missed it, but the aroma was inviting as I was leaving the lobby! I would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Loved the room with the whirlpool on the second floor!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear RoseB333,

Thank you so much for submitting a review of your recent stay at our hotel. We are very pleased to hear that you found the hotel ideally located near several of the city's best attractions. We are also pleased to hear that your husband enjoyed our complimentary WiFi and complimentary breakfast. (We are certainly sorry you did not get to partake in breakfast due to your early rise! We hope you can take advantage of breakfast on a return visit!)

Warmest Regards,

Assistant General Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Express NYC - Madison Square Garden? Share your experiences!