“Spacious Family Rooms” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The London NYC

Save Saved
You added The London NYC to your Saves list
The London NYC
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   151 West 54th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #60 of 454 Hotels in New York City
Neenah, Wisconsin
“Spacious Family Rooms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

This hotel was great for traveling with kids. Rooms were very spacious for a New York City Hotel. The location was also perfect, close to Central Park and many great restaurants. Would highly recommend for families.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights while moving my daughter back to college in NYC. I really don't understand all of the negative reviews of this hotel. I travel to NYC 4-5 times a year and have stayed in numerous hotels in various price categories (Mandarin Oriental, Trump Soho, The Blakely, The WestHouse, Park Lane, The NY Palace, The W) as well as several VRBOs. In my opinion, the London is the best so far, for numerous reasons.

The rooms are extraordinarily spacious (we were in a London Suite on the 22nd floor with french doors that separated the bedroom from the living room) and nicely decorated. The bathroom is huge with an enormous shower, with shower heads at either end! Easily the size of 2-3 normal showers. Bathroom is clean and sleek - fitted out with WaterWorks fixtures. The bed is super comfortable and the curtains work well at blocking out the city light.

The exercise room (really multiple large spaces) is phenomenal with virtually every type of state of the art exercise equipment you could imagine. It is very clean and there are many treadmills, bikes, ellipticals, etc. Never had a problem getting access to my favorite machines.

This area of Manhattan is very convenient for traveling uptown or downtown and there is easy access to subways that serve both the East and West sides. It's not my favorite part of town for restaurants, etc. and the number of tourists on the street in this area have a tendency to clog up the street and make getting around like running an obstacle course. But I overlooked this, as it is super easy to hop a subway or grab a taxi to other, more interesting areas of town for dining/shopping etc.

I do have two small complaints, which if corrected, would make this hotel ideal. Firstly, there are no coffee/tea making facilities in the room, nor is there complimentary coffee in the lobby. Room service coffee is $10/cup ($15 for a large cup), which is utterly ridiculous. I walked to Starbucks every morning (there are two nearby - one a block north on 55th and 7th, and another a block south on 53rd). This is fine when the weather is good, but would be a real pain if there was a torrential downpour, snowstorm or bitterly cold weather. This is super easy fix and something that I would encourage management to look into.

Room service is extraordinarily expensive, even by NYC standards (and more expensive than either the Mandarin Oriental or the Trump Soho). I've already mentioned the overpriced room-service coffee, but other prices that shocked me were $20 for a granola/yogurt parfait, $15 bagel, etc. As I mentioned, I walked to Starbucks every morning and purchased a Grande Carmel Macchiato, a Grande Vanilla Latte, a granola/yogurt parfait and a piece of lemon poundcake for less than $20. Not sure why the London's room service prices are so high.

We did not eat at either of the on site restaurants, so I can't comment on those.

I have already booked another 3 night stay for parents weekend in October!

Room Tip: ask for a room on a higher floor to minimize street noise
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Bursa, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

Perfect location near to Central park and fifth avenue. Additionally, Michelin star restaurant Gordon Ramsey in the hotel is must if you have some budget for really nice dinner. All the facilities are really good and I was very happy with Gym facility. Finally, The room I stayed is very comfortable and quite big. I definitelly recommend if you are looking higher standard accommodation.

Room Tip: Park view suite
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Boulder, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

Second time reviewing. I stay there for the Amex perks and room size, but the wifi was unusable the whole stay. I had to opt to burn my cellular data. Also the breakfast a little bit of a fiasco. Crowded and not worth using the Amex coupons. Opted to go out in the morning.

Loved the room size. I will probably be back still.

Room Tip: Higher floors better.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Wilkes-Barre Twp. Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

We just returned from a great weekend in NYC, and had the pleasure of staying at The London. It is perfectly located, as everything is within walking distance. The rooms are very modern, spacious, clean, and comfortable. I really could not believe the size of our suite. The staff were friendly, helpful, and courteous, though the Concierge was rather busy, and you had to wait a few minutes for his help.

I would recommend staying at this hotel; however, if you suffer from allergies, you may want to book another place. It is pet-friendly, and they have feather bedding. It is no problem to get foam pillows, which are just as comfortable, but you will have to remember to request a room that pets had not stayed in if you have severe allergies.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

We stayed at The London for 3 nights at the end of a month long trip that had us staying in all sorts, sizes and styles of hotels. The London was bumped to the bottom of our list, I'm afraid. Perhaps we had been a little bit spoiled by previous hotels but we were totally underwhelmed on our arrival. On a plus point, the staff were pleasant and helpful and one guy, Jimmy, efficiently handled the changing of our booking from a two bedroom suite - which we discovered was one bedroom and one small suite connected by a dark hallway - to two individual suites which gave us more floor space and ironically was cheaper! However, the decor is bland and tired. The bathrooms are pretty poor with nylon shower curtains, grubby tiling etc. For all the time we actually spent in our rooms, it was bearable but there really was no luxury and at around $1000 a night for the rooms, I think we were expecting just a little bit more - especially when we looked again at those very clever photos on the website!!

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014 via mobile

We were back in NYC for second time in a couple of weeks after having stayed at the Sofitel previously.
The London is a very trendy hotel, paparazzi out the front and lots of stars. The lobby is nice and the rooms are very large (suites) and comfortable. We didn't have a view as we were nobodies, with the higher floors reserved for regulars I guess.
Service was excellent at concierge and front desk and the room was serviced beautifully.
As per other guests breakfast is a debacle, we waited in the poorly organised queue and went elsewhere.
The location is good but not as good as the Sofitel. I would go back there.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The London NYC? Share your experiences!