“Wonderful stay, friendly staff. Good value for money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Hugo

You added Hotel Hugo to your Saves list
Hotel Hugo
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   525 Greenwich Street, New York City, NY NY 10013 (Manhattan)   |
Special Rate
15% off Standard Rates
Ranked #154 of 458 Hotels in New York City
“Wonderful stay, friendly staff. Good value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

My fiancé and I stayed at Hotel Hugo for 6 nights. Upon arrival the staff were friendly and we were checked in timesously. No hassles or issues. The hotel lobby is beautiful and quaint with a gorgeous Live wall. We had no issues with the elevators, as some guest reviews highlight; neither did we experience problems with noise. The rooms are small, but not tiny, very much in keeping with New York standards.

The UPS depo is right across the road which made for an unfortunate view, especially since we were told that we'd have a "river view".

The bedding was amazing and we slept comfortably every single night. House keeping is a bit random and seems disorganised but friendly nonetheless.

We loved the location, in hip Soho, and would definitely recommend it.

We will definitely stay here again!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
HotelHugoManagement, Director of Sales at Hotel Hugo, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Dear Guest,

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for taking the time to share some thoughts about your most recent stay. We very much appreciate the thoughtful words, as well as the recommendation. I also wanted to apologize if you were misled in any way regarding the river view. For that we have no excuse. Otherwise, I am very pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay and that you will be considering us for future stays. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Hotel Hugo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Quincy, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Came to NYC for a business meeting this week. Stayed here for two nights and loved it! The hotel is new or newly renovated as of April. The lobby, room and restaurant are fantastic. The staff are SUPER friendly and helpful with no attitude. Made me and my colleagues feel very welcome. Room was comfortable, the food and drinks were fabulous. The new rooftop bar just opened in the last week and we spent time there a few evenings. Every single staff person from the front door to the desk to the roof bar to the restaurant were very accommodating and helpful. Felt very comfortable and inviting. Can't wait to return in October/November. Best overall experience in recent memory!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear David,

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for the glowing recommendation. We couldn't ask for a more wonderful series of compliments. And on behalf of the entire staff, we thank you. We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

The hotel is beautifull.
Front desk service great.
Location, SOHO is just perfect, just 3 blocks front subway.
Losts of noice from the UPS deposit trucks right in front of the hotels door.
The room are not sound proof.
Small room.
Bathroom with no ventilation system.
The restaurant: worst cheeseburger ever!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

HotelHugoManagement, Director of Sales at Hotel Hugo, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Good Afternoon Silvina,

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to share some thoughts about your recent visit to Hotel Hugo. Feedback like yours is how we continue to improve our guest experience. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the design of the hotel and that our staff welcomed you warmly. We take great pride in the beauty of the hotel and in our exceptional guest service and I thank you for your kind comments. However, I also wanted to apologize if we failed to deliver in any of the areas which you mentioned in your review. We are, after all, a boutique hotel in NYC and suffer the same space constraints and occasional city noises as is common among many boutique hotels in NYC. Though we hope that the design of the hotel and comfort of the rooms makes up for any shortage of space. I apologize if these items impacted your stay in a negative way. I also wanted to apologize if you did not enjoy your meal. Our restaurant is quickly becoming a guest favorite, so it saddens me to hear that you did not enjoy your experience there. I very much hope that you expressed your concern to your waiter and that we were able to make that right. As we would never want any guest of our restaurant leaving unsatisfied or displeased with their meal. If there is anything we can do for you in the future to make your stay more enjoyable, please do not hesitate to ask.

G. Kurth
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

This past June I spent 10 nights at the Hotel Hugo. It was a total disaster. To start, the hotel is located right in front of the main UPS facility for downtown Manhattan which is not only unsightly but also means that there are UPS trucks constantly coming and going throughout the day and night. This is extremely annoying. You would that the hotel has waterfront views. Again, this would be true but for the fact that between you and the hotel is the aforementioned massive UPS facility. Also, the restaurant which is extremely cheesy has outdoor seating. Ordinarily a good thing but not when one is basically sitting in a UPS parking lot.

Equally, if not more, annoying than the constant flow of UPS trucks was the excruciating loud clanging noise between the walls every time someone on the floor decided to run the water which is often. At first, I was convinced there was construction being done somewhere on the floor. The noise is akin to a jackhammer. i really thought that major renovations were underway and could not understand why the hotel would permit this to occur at such late hours. Only later did I realize that the clamor was not construction but the water pipes banging together and creating a blood-curdling racket. This is totally unacceptable for a hotel that charges this kinds of prices and desires to hold itself out as providing world class luxury. Also there was no consistency from day to day in terms of the number of shampoos, towels, conditioners provided, with such items totally lacking on some days. The elevators were also painfully slow. Often i found myself waiting up to 10-15 minutes for one of the two small elevators to arrive at my floor.

As for the service at this hotel. On a scale of 0 to 10 I give the service a -20. just the worst. No different than the guests, the staff seemed generally unhappy to be working at this hotel and appeared to derive no satisfaction whatsoever from employment at this very strange and rather depressing and overpriced hotel. But it gets worst. At one point i left the hotel. An hour into my journey having realized that I had left the safe unlocked, i called the front desk and spoke to a woman named Natasha. I told her that the safe was unlocked and contained money and jewelry and that I did not want the room to be cleaned with a sign to such effect placed on the door to my hotel room. I came back three days later only to discover that no such sign had been put on my door and that my room had been cleaned contrary to my specific request that it not be and money was missing from the safe. I notified the front desk. Rachel the manager called me back and was inexplicably rude and angry and mean and informed me that it was my fault and that i should not have left the safe unlocked. She continued to yell at me for several minutes and expressed no remorse at the fact that one of the hotel employees had stolen money from my room. I eventually filed a police report though, admittedly, I would not have taken such a drastic measure had the hotel shown even the slightest concern with respect to this theft. i was left with the distinct impression that this was not the first time something like this had happened.

in short, run away!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I love Hotel Hugo. Even though it opened only a few months ago, the hotel and its staff make sure that the guests have a flawless stay. It is located in a perfect location -- it is close to everything (TriBeCa, SoHo, Chelsea...!) I definitely recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Melody,

Thank you so much for the kind words and for the very gracious recommendation. We are so thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for choosing Hotel Hugo. We hope to see you again very soon.

Best,
G. Kurth
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

We stayed here in June 2014 for four nights on holiday.
Good points:
- modern room, well equipped and decorated
- comfortable bed (soft)
- very friendly staff who went out of their way to do everything they could to make our stay pleasant

Location:
- Great location
- short walk to subway, shopping and Greenwich Village

Bad points:
- Rooms are a bit on the small side but that's New York (I've stayed in smaller rooms for around the same price before).
- Rooftop bar was not operational when we visited

There could be better information on the website on options for getting to the Hotel. We arrived from Newark which takes several trains but we learned later there is a hotel shuttle that will drop you off at the Hotel. The trains were not a problem for us but might be for others.

Re: the rooftop bar, we went up there and were able to check out the great views and no-one bothered us unlike one of the other reviews. Maybe we just got lucky but we did it several times. Hopefully the bar will be open soon.

TIP: Check out Bar 508 which is 20m across the street - they have their own beer on tap and nice food. Oherwise walk about 10 blocks up Greenwich to the Spotted Pig which has a great vibe.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back - no view but quiet
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for sharing some thoughts about your most recent visit to Hotel Hugo. I very much appreciate the wonderful feedback as well as the recommendation. I also wanted to thank you for the excellent suggestion regarding travel to the hotel. I will certainly investigate this further. Once again, thank you for choosing Hotel Hugo. We hope to see you again very soon.

George Kurth
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Hotel Hugo has many features...a modern stylish decor with handsome wood floors in the rooms, comfortable bedding and we had a view of the river if on upper floor in front. Staff was more than accommodating. They were so endearing to our daughter and made her feel so special on her 18 the birthday. We had a delectable breakfast twice. The roof top bar provides a stunning view of the Hudson.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms if you want a view of the Hudson, then request it.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to spend such a memorable occasion with us here at Hotel Hugo. Please wish your daughter a very special Happy Birthday on behalf of all of us here at Hotel Hugo. We hope you will consider us for future occasions.

George Kurth

Been to Hotel Hugo? Share your experiences!