“value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Grant Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
The Grant Hotel
306 W 94th St, New York City, NY 10025 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #358 of 446 hotels in New York City
chiba
“value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2008

good location. value price.
fan in the bath room was broken and made a big noise.
wireless internet need $6, and PC in the lobby was busy

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

245 people have reviewed this hotel

england
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2007

Where do i start with my endless list of faults with the Grant Hotel.
After finally arriving at the Grant Hotel, or should I say, the Alexandar as it is named above the door, our nightmare begun!

First thoughts were, small, quiet and strange smell.

We made our way to the tiny lift which looked ready to collapse to get to our 2nd floor appartment. Our room, well our box, was awful! the bed was rock hard and linnen was itchy. As we opened the blinds, we were face to face with a brick wall.

On further inspection we found bare wires from plug sockets and light fittings. the bathroom was in the room next door to us and was shared with the rest of the people on our floor whom seemed to be permanent residents at the dive. There were more bare wires to be found next to the mirror, above the sink.

We were disturbed each night with the noisy heating system, We were told it would only last a few minutes, however 20 minutes later it was still going.

When we originally booked our holiday we planned to stay 3nights, however we later extended it to 4, On returning to the hotel on the 4th night, we were surprised to find our room had been completely emptied. Our stuff had all been thrown into black bags and put into a cupboard downstairs. Cleaners had not been informed we were staying an extra night so had removed our belongings.

Thankfully the wonderful city 'New York' made up for the appalling conditions we slept in.

We will definately be returning to New York, however we will not be visiting The Grant Hotel, and advise anyone, even those with a low budget to stay well clear!!!

Stayed February 2006
Portsmouth UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2006

We have just returned from our 5th visit to NYC on 1st December, having stayed at the Grant for the first time as the hotel we normally stay in was full. Our otherwise enjoyable visit was marred by our terrible experience in this hotel.

Upon arrival we were informed that the hotel would require photocopies of our photo ID and credit card details (the former we were aware of but the latter we were not told about in the confirmation email we had received in advance). We were reluctant to provide these as they were stored (along with everyone else's details) in a plastic box on the front desk where, potentially, anyone could just lean across and take them. The receptionist stated that he had no secure location (safe, office, drawer) in which to store the paperwork and we were told to leave if we didn't like it! The 'security manager' then appeared and involved himself in the argument which culminated in him telling us that he didn't like us and we should go and sleep on the streets. We asked to see the manager and were told that he wasn't in and no-one knew when he was due back on duty. Given that it was Thanksgiving Day, we had little choice but to stay at the hotel as we had nowhere else to go.

The room itself was too warm with no way of controlling the heat, the air-con was too noisy to have on for too long and there were exposed wires all over the place, including the hallways and bathrooms. Both my friend and I developed curious rashes after a few days of staying at the hotel..I would not like to hazard a guess as to the cause!

The final horror was when we had two brand new pairs of childrens' trainers (still in their boxes) stolen from our locked hotel room the day before we left and the response from the receptionist was 'call 911.' Again we asked for the manager; again we were told that he wasn't in and no-one knew when he would be back on duty.

I love NYC and am determined that this experience will not put me off but, rest assured, that any future stays will certainly not involve the Grant Hotel.

• Liked — the location - this was the reason we picked it in the first place
  • Disliked — the level of customer service was non-existent
  • Tips/Secrets — don't stay there!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2006

This hotel does not have a sign outside the building stating that it is indeed a hotel. It is however a very well priced , very clean "hotel". I believe rooms on some of the floors are rented long term as many of the people in the lift spoke Spanish only. Everything was clean and the staff were very helpful. Nice neighbourhood also.

• Stayed November 2006
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2006

I was afraid to stay here because of the mixed reviews, but the throwaway price ($190 with tax for 3 nights) convinced me to give it a try. My fear was misplaced. The Grant (also known as The Devon) is one of the best travel bargains I have ever gotten. The room was clean and reasonably appointed (about the quality of an older "motel"). I hate hotel room odors of any sort, and my room ranked way better than average, with only a very slight 'small room' smell that blew off as soon as I cracked the window. The shared bath was modern (more than the room), fully tiled, and well cleaned at least twice daily (again with no smell). The guests seem to consist of mostly young bargain travellers. Book on the Woogo website for the best price. Also search for a coupon (I found one pretty easily). Though the booking process was not flawless, it was resolved by staff pleasantly and efficiently.

• Liked — Value
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2006

This hotel certainly offers value for money, and is in a good location only 1.5 blocks from the subway. There are also some nice restaurants a short walk up broadway (especially recommended is Regional, just a short walk up broadway for a lovely Italian)

The bathrooms were also cleaned regularly and rarely had to wait at all.

Unfourtunately this was all let down by the bed bugs. Having read through the reviews on this site it seems several people have experienced this as well and quite a few havent so seems to me this is not a hotel wide issue. We were in room 319 initially and when I complained to the reception they were more than happy to move us and didn't seem phased at all, so it seemed to me something they were rather used to. We were moved to room 510, and I think the bugs were in there too as i ended up with an arm and upper body covered in bites which become quite inflamed and required me to visit a doctor after leaving New York for treatment.

My advice overall would be to avoid this hotel just incase, and if you are offered room 319 or 510 make sure you change straight away - the staff didn't seem like they were going to do anything about getting rid of them in our first room!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bed Bugs!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night and it was great. I booked it through expedia so it was a lot cheaper than calling the hotel directly or using hotels.com. ($50 cheaper!). The only downfall is the shared bathrooms. I never had to wait and they were fairly clean, but I would have preferred my own bathroom if I could've afforded it. It was really close to the subway, restaurants, and riverside park. It was also very quiet! You would never think you were in NYC once you actually got inside the hotel. It's perfect if you're busy all day in the city and just want a quiet, warm place to sleep at night. They also had a tv with cable, but we only used it to check the weather.

• Liked — the price and location
  • Disliked — shared bathrooms
  • Tips/Secrets — make sure to check the price on expedia or other websites first
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Grant Hotel? Share your experiences!