“Nice Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #180 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
“Nice Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

We found this hotel on the Travel Zoo website.It was close to Times Square and the room was spacious for the area. We got a great rate and breakfast was included. The only downside was the view from the window. We overlooked another building and the window was only covered with a sheer curtain. There was no shade or heavy curtain to pull at night.

Room Tip: ask for a room that does not overlook another building
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

I came across the Hotel Mela through a Travelzoo promotion. The promotion included bed & breakfast,drink vouchers , complimentary wifi and an upgrade. I needed accommodation for 5 nights but unfortunately 2 of the nightsa were only available at a much higher rate. I did contact the hotel to see if I could get a better rate for the 2 nights in the middle of the stay but by the time they replied I had booked elsewhere on a buy 3 get the 4th free offer so ended up only spending one night at the Mela.
A few days before I arrived I purchased a concert ticket which needed to be delivered to the hotel prior to my arrival. I called the hotel and spoke to Melinda and told her the package would be arriving and to please organise that it was signed for and kept for my arrival. The process went smoothly, and on arrival I was given the envelope that had been delivered without any issue. Melinda was very helpful with this.
Check in was extremely quick and friendly and within minutes I was up in my room. I had booked a King Deluxe and the room I was given had a queen bed. I did not question this as the room also had a separate lounge/sitting area and was extremely spacious. As this may have been an upgrade I did not want to raise the issue of the bed – and after my 20 hour + flight from Australia the queen bed was quite adequate.
The room was nicely furnished with TV’s in both the bedroom and lounge area. The whole room was very well lit and very well cleaned. The bathroom was quite small but not uncomfortably so. My room overlooked a theatre with Broadway in view so that was an added benefit. Noise was not too bad either. Overall I was really impressed and the location of the Mela couldn’t be better……just a few steps from Broadway and right in the heart of theatreland.
I went to the bistro next door in the morning to use the breakfast voucher and that’s where the experience fell short somewhat. I found the staff there very cold and also had an issue where I asked if any pastries were included in the breakfast, was told what pastries they had and then when finished was presented with a bill for them. I queried this and eventually they waived the charge. This was not a hotel issue however.
I requested a late check out which was agreed to immediately with a smile. Just prior to leaving I decided to use the drink vouchers that were included in the promotion which were valid in a noisy pub next to the hotel.
All in all an excellent experience with very friendly and efficient staff. The large room was definitely a bonus for New York. What was also very good to see was after I completed an online survey about my stay, I received a very apologetic email. At the right price I would stay there again and would also recommend the hotel to others.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
Mt. Pleasant, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

April was my 4th stay at the Hotel Mela in 3 years. It is consistently wonderful. We love this place. You can't beat the location if you are going to the theater, to Birdland for jazz, or dining in Hells Kitchen or Restaurant Row area. It's very close to Times Square and Broadway, but so much less hectic.

44th street is quiet, which means that sleeping is great. The rooms are very clean, the TV gets a large number of stations, and the beds/pillows are so comfortable that you don't want to get up in the morning. What more can you ask for-----and we booked a package that included complimentary breakfast next door at a lovely french bistro. It also came with a complimentary drink at a lounge next door (Long Room), but they limit your free drink to only a few suggestions. We went once, but not again. The breakfast, however, deserves some accolades.It's not just your standard continental breakfast. No, no. You can choose from a full breakfast with made-to-order eggs/bacon/hash browns, to greek yogurt with homemade granola or pancakes. Juice and coffee are included. The breakfast alone is worth probably $15 each day. It's a lovely place to enjoy lunch or have an afternoon snack, as well. We've never tried dinner. I imagine that would be good, too.

The staff are so friendly that you feel right at home. Everybody is accommodating and helpful, always smiling. Boutique hotels are the best, and this is certainly one of the best we've found in NY. You can't beat the value and the attention by the staff.

I had an upgraded room with a king bed, so by NY standards, it was pretty large. Upgrading is a good idea since the basic room is tiny. The bathrooms are small, but functional.

There's no question we will be back when we make our next trip to NY. We have recommended Hotel Mela to several friends and all of them are now repeat guests. We've stayed across the street at a high end boutique hotel for twice the nightly rate. To us, the Hotel Mela offered better value. We can't imagine staying anywhere else. For what we need and do, it is just perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgraded room since it's larger.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Overall, had a great experience at hotel. Room was nice sized for NY standards and was very clean and updated. Location is perfect - 1/2 block from Times Square. Many subway lines close by as well as Bryant Park and Hells Kitchen area.
Only cons is that room we had faced a wall and had no view whatsoever and wifi did not work well in the room, even after employee came up to check/fix.
I would like to commend Jonathon who checked us in. We originally thought we would have to wait a few hours to check in but he was able to find us a room to check in immediately. He was very friendly and helpful.

Miami Lakes, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

If you're visiting New York to see theatre, Hotel Mela is the place to stay. The location is absolutely perfect, and even though it's just steps from Times Square, the rooms are very quiet, We will definitely return to the Hotel Mela on our next theater vacation.
Convenient location close to time square. Super courteous staff. Room was huge Loved it ,We stayed on the 2nd floor two double queen Bed.
Thanks to Nick and Pamela with my reservation and Arturo front desk agent.
Hope to see you soon guys.....

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Stayed at Hotel Mela for 10 nights in March and I would definitley stay there again. Great location, two minutes from Times Square, 5/10 minute walk to Grand Central Station so really easy to explore more of New York. Rooms were kept lovely and clean and the staff were really helpful. Yes the rooms are on the small side but it's New York...

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

If you're visiting New York to see theatre, Hotel Mela is the place to stay. The location is absolutely perfect, and even though it's just steps from Times Square, the rooms are very quiet. The staff is friendly and helpful and the service has consistently been top notch. We will definitely return to the Hotel Mela on our next theatre vacation.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Mela? Share your experiences!