“A bit disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #181 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Gaithersburg, Maryland, United States
“A bit disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I was constantly disappointed with my stay at Hotel Mela. For some reason I wasn't able to check in 30 minutes before my scheduled check in time, yet when I got there later, there were enough rooms for us to be able to switch 2 times. Somehow, when I finally got there Christmas night, I was given a really small room, with what looked like a junior sized bed. That surely wouldn't work for my pregnant fiance, so I went for another room, the size I paid for. We went up to the second room, which looked clean, but stunk of marijuana. Back to the front desk, and we were given another room. This room was clean, with no offensive smells, but the view was of a wall instead of the street, whatever. There is a pay parking lot next to the hotel, which is great, as long as there isn't a line of people waiting to get their cars (its New York, so I guess its to be expected). The location of the hotel is great, and after parking the car we could walk everywhere, this was the best part of the stay. The hotel is surrounded by great restaurants, most of which were closed by the time we were able to check in, but for people able to check in at a decent time and explore, its great. Our stay at Hotel Mela was just 'Ok'. This was our first time staying at a hotel in Times Square, and I honestly dont think we'll do it again.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

We just completed a 2-night Christmastime stay here. A lot to like: proximity to Times Square, MoMA, Bryant Park, landmark shops--all with a stylish decor kicker. If Americans can get over the smallish rooms, this is the one.

• Stayed December 2014
Jefferson, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We stayed at the Hotel Mela for two nights the weekend before Christmas. Although we booked a room with two twin beds (due to online availability), the staff was more than happy to find us a room with a single queen that we desired. The hotel location is excellent and all of the staff couldn't have been more pleasant. The room was clean and furnished nicely. Overall, we were very pleased with every aspect of our stay there, would stay again and recommend it to others. Personally, we really enjoyed the attached Bistro for dinner; very pleasant staff and excellent food.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 15th floor on the back side of the hotel and would very gladly take that room a...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The hotel lobby is pretty and rooms are small but nice and updated. My two issues are 1) the street noise came through the windows of our 2nd floor room quite easily, making it difficult to sleep, since the street noise never stops in the city, and 2) there was no option for a room with two queen beds. So we had to bring a blow up bed for our son to sleep on the floor.

Stayed December 2014
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I got this hotel through hotwire and for what I paid it was fine.
Location is great if you're planning on seeing shows on Broadway and don't want to be bothered taking a cab or public transportation after a show.
My room was small, as in really tiny - there was nowhere to put the suitcase except on the heater. Luckliy I was on my own as I can't imagine sharing that space with another person (looking at other pictures there seem to be larger rooms). Furniture was not in great shape, chipped here and there but not terrible. Bed was small but reasonably comfortable. Toiletries were very good.
Reception staff was also fine, nothing too good or bad about them.
If you're able to get a good rate I'd recommend this place based on location, but otherwise, if you end up getting one of the small rooms, it just feels claustrophobic.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed at the Hotel Mela for 3 days while in NYC. It is centrally located in the heart of the theater district. My room was very small; however, it was also very clean, the furnishing were well maintained and the lenin on the bed were of a nice quality. Since it is winter I will say that there was plenty of heat and I had the ability to adjust to my liking. The bathroom was updated, and very clean. The amenities provided by the Hotel were of a nice quality and when I requested additional they were sent quickly.

The staff of the Hotel was friendly from the front dest to the housekeeping members. Overall, I would recommend this hotel as a Clean, Safe, Well Maintained place. Again the room I was in was very small but since I was traveling solo it was not a problem. I was on the back side of the Hotel so I did not have any late night street noises which is a plus when you are only about 1 block from Times Square.

Room Tip: Request a room in the back to reduce the chances of street noise.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I booked Hotel Mela since we were in town for a show at the Belasco Theatre, literally across the street. The rooms are as compact as you'd expect in NYC, but clean and pretty - beds were lovely, and we slept through the night without really hearing any noise at all. Even past midnight on a Saturday, once you walked in from the busy street it was like stepping into a library. Front desk clerk didn't seem particularly alert; check-in took a while even though we were the only ones in line. A good choice if you need proximity to the theatre district or Times Square without emptying your wallet. They did put an unexplained $60 charge on my credit card even though we'd paid in full, but when I called them they took it right off - maybe just a standard hold?

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Mela? Share your experiences!