“Need better managers/customer service” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Mela
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   120 West 44th St, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #159 of 449 hotels in New York City
Houston, TX
“Need better managers/customer service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Great location, high price for value, no hot water for 2+ days, Luke warm water. Was told it isn't what I expect from home, was told that its warm bc other people are taking a shower, light bulb requested to be changed, had to ask twice, was told refrigerator was comped, no fridge, complained again, got a fridge, was told to use mini bar and notes in system, food removed from mini bar next day. When you get to the right people they take accountability , comped breakfast for two for a week and a night but problems persist as well as poor statements like other people taking a shower which is why it's warm. Could have stayed My go to chain of Marriott for a better experience. Did enjoy location and breakfast next door and free wifi..make sure you know who you are speaking with in management and make sure you know what you are paying for at 340 a night ....

• Stayed September 2013
nickhotelmela, General Manager at Hotel Mela, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Hello Mr. Morrow

Thank you so much for taking the time and writing a review in regards to your recent stay at Hotel Mela.
I would also like to sincerely apologize about the several mishaps during your stay.

We pride ourselves on unique personal service and high quality guest rooms; unfortunately we did not deliver that experience to you on your visit.
I’m also very sorry to hear we did not fulfill requests for simple amenities such as a delivering a refrigerator to your room. Additionally we did experience a very isolated issue with our hot water temperature in the past week which has been resolved 100%. Please know this is not indicate of our standards and we are following up immediately with our staff members.

Although we cannot change the experience you had recently with us; we would like to invite you back at a deeply discounted rate and upgraded room whenever you decide to visit New York City again.

Feel free to contact myself directly or anyone of my colleagues and they will be more then happy to assist you.

Warmest Regards,

Nick Ivezaj
Hotel Mela
direct: nicki@hotelmela.com

2,335 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Great room, friendly staff - the bell staff are super helpful. Stayed 2 nights and did the whole tourist thing. Very close to times square. Also love Saju - the calamari is awesome - good helping. Had a fab time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

Great room, friendly staff, very reasonably priced, excellent location! We looked at Stay which was sold out, compared "like" hotels and found Mela. I would definitely book here again. Right off times square, meaning close enough but also far enough away that you could stop in a few stores and restaurants before jumping into the chaos of times square.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights recently on business. Was underwhelmed by the facilities. The 'lobby' is very small, there's no restaurant (they use the restaurant next door), the elevators are tiny and the gym was an airless windowless room.

If you arrive arrive early they will not let you check in before 2, not so useful for a business traveler arriving from overseas and in need of changing facilities before going to a client meeting. We asked for somewhere to change and were directed to the gym - where to my horror the only changing facility was a unisex bathroom, with no shower.

The rates are competitive, but the rooms are typical sized for NYC. Very clean and compact, with in room Wifi.

Room Tip: There's no room with a view, you pay a lot more for that in NYC. But the location is great - rig...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Huntington, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Rooms were on the small side, but up to date, clean and the bathroom was functional modern. The hotel name means Apple in Italian, and of course the reception area had NYC red apples for guests! Nice to meet international travelers, and NYers all around! But truly, location, location, location! And they have a wonderful restaurant right next door, Bistro....with LOTS of seating! They even stamped my parking ticket for the Hippodome/Edison parking on the next block!

Room Tip: NO Kids, the way it should be!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I have now stayed at the Hotel Mela 3 different times in the past 2 years. When I made my second reservation at this terrific hotel, I read a review on this site that suggested that the service was poor, the towels too few and wet and that there were bed bugs. But we made our reservation and we were happy we did so. The third reservation was made about 6 mos. later and when I arrived at the hotel, having read the same hotel review again, I asked about bed bug covers on the beds. I was told that there are indeed bed bug covers on the beds. This made me feel more secure about that issue. The service is perfect. When I asked for additional towels, they were delivered to my room within 15minutes, and when I was unable to open the fridge in the room and felt like an idiot telling the housekeeping staff that I was not able to open the fridge, I was assured that these things do happen. Within 10minutes they sent the engineering staff up and fixed the fridge. No problem. In our three trips to the hotel, we have not had one issue come up that was not satisfactorily dealt with. We will return to the hotel again with my daughters and grand-daughter when we come to NYC in April /14 and again with my husband in the fall of this year.
Without doubt, this hotel offers the best bang for my buck that I have found in New York.
A delightful hotel! Wendy B.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Sunderland, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights. Room was absolutely fine - yes, it was small but how much time do you spend in it ? Nice comfy bed, good clean bathroom, free safe for valuables and somewhere to hang everything up - empty cases on top of the cupboard worked for us !

Had done our homework before arriving regarding our "to see and do" list so we didn't really bother the hotel staff, but they were always very polite and friendly.

Location was absolutely superb - being right in the middle of everything meant all the main attractions could be reached on foot, and for anything else the subway was just around the corner.

Loved our first trip to NY, and would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Mela? Share your experiences!