“Excellent location. Smallish rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Rate
FREE UPGRADE!!!
Ranked #181 of 463 Hotels in New York City
“Excellent location. Smallish rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights. Couldn't believe the location. Absolutely fine for a busy 3 days seeing things.

Whilst Empire State Building is worth a visit. Don't waste your money on the extra 'Skyride' over New York attraction. Very poor. Boat trip round southern half to see statue liberty very good. Riding bikes round Central Park the highlight. Hundreds of people nearby to flog you a bike ride or horse carriage ride (don't see near as much)

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights, would definitely stay again. Check in was easy, we booked a superior queen but were upgraded to a deluxe room with king bed. The room and bathroom were great, plenty of space and very clean. The most important part was the room was very quiet and we couldn't have asked for a more comfortable bed. Not a problem for us, but if you want to use the fridge you can't because if you move any of the mini bar items it automatically charges to your account. Our stay also included breakfast at the Bistro next door which had good food and was a lovely quiet place to start the day. The hotel is right off Times Square, and a short walk to other attractions around Times Square (Grand central, Rockerfeller etc). Will be here again for our next stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Yarmouth Port, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

friendly staff, great location (just off 6th near Bryant Park), nice French restaurant below - clean rooms, could be a little larger but thats NYC for you- would recommend and stay there again next time I'm in the city

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights over New Year's. Location is convenient to Times Square. The staff was nice, especially at a very busy time. Toiletries are above average.

But there were several things that weren't quite right. When I add them all up, it leads me to the conclusion I'll look elsewhere for my next stay.

As mentioned in other reviews the room is small, but that's not unexpected in New York. However the room only had a double bed. For 4 stars, I'd expect a queen bed. The website clearly says double or queen bed, so there's nothing misleading, but next time I'll look for a hotel with a queen bed.

The minibar is the kind where you can't store any of your own things and if you take anything out it's automatically charged to your room. With such a small room, it would be better to have a fridge where you could store you own things. We bought some drinks and had to leave them on top of the minibar, which used up the limited free space.

Ice has to be delivered to your room. I offered to get the ice myself but was told the staff had to do it since the machine is in the basement. It took an hour and 2 follow up calls after the initial request.

I picked up a snack item off the top of the minibar. When I put it back a pile of dust flew up. While the rest of the room was clean, it doesn't appear the cleaning staff focuses on the minibar.

The door to the wardrobe couldn't open beyond 90 degrees because it hit up against the wall. If was dark inside the wardrobe even with all the room lights on, and it was a bit challenging to get things in and out.

The bathroom sink didn't drain well. Was a minor annoyance, but when combined with everything else it left me with the conclusion that I'll look elsewhere for my next stay.

The staff were very nice and seemed to try hard, but there are better hotel options.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed 7 nights at Mela Hotel and spent NYE 2012 in NYC...and I just have great things to say about the hotel.
The location is amazing, its just meters away from Times Square, Broadway and a subway station...you can't ask for a better spot to stay. The room was very comfortable, quiet and clean, it has every amenity you might need (WiFi, hair dryer, iron, etc) and the best thing is that the price isn't as high as you would imagine it to be. The room is not that small, I stayed in an average room with my boyfriend and had plenty of space in the room for both our suitcases and shoppping bags (big bags).

The staff is really helpful and nice, they helped us with everything we needed and recommended us excellent tours, routes, restaurants and broadway shows.

When I return to NYC I will definitely stay at Mela Hotel...loveeeeeed it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Mela in Sept'12 when I went to New York with a women's tour group. I was impressed by the hotel staff, very helpful and friendly. This was my first trip to New York and was surprised by the patience and courtesy of the staff. Maybe I had a preconceived notion about New Yorkers. I had a room to myself. It was very clean and quiet. I don't know how much the room cost since it was part of a tour package. Didn't have the best view but I was able to see a little of the lights from Times Square. The hotel is in a great location right by Times Square. We had a huge breakfast every morning that was paid for with our trip at the restaurant next to it. I would recommend Hotel Mela.

Room Tip: Try to find a room with a good view of Times Square.