“Quietly around the corner from Times Square” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
25% of our best rates !!
Ranked #181 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Boston
“Quietly around the corner from Times Square”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Perfectly situated around the corner from Times Square the hotel itself is very quiet. The room I had was not located right on the street - it didn't have much of a view of anything, but it was perfectly quiet and if I hadn't walked through crowded Times Square I would have had no idea it was so close to it. The room I was in was on the small side but I was there alone and not in the room except to sleep so I was not bothered by the size. It was very clean, had a comfortable bed and was quiet. That was enough for me.

Other than during checking in and out I didn't really have much contact with the staff as I spent most of my time outside. I didn't have my room serviced but as I was leaving one morning a housekeeper noticed I had the do not disturb sign on but offered to just empty the trash for me which I thought was nice.

If you are wondering what the rooms look like check their website. The room I had looked pretty much as it was pictured. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
Winchester Center, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

My husband and I stumbled upon this hotel many years ago when we were looking for a place to stay in New York City. We go to the city every year on Christmas eve and stay the night. The Hotel Mela was the perfect boutique hotel to stay at. It's right near Times Square and it is literally within walking distance to anything you want to do there. Check in is a breeze, the staff is very friendly and fun and the rooms are great. They are very clean, the bathrooms are spotless and the bed is very VERY comfortable which is not something you often find at a hotel. The thing I like most about the Mela is when you go there no matter what room you're put in you always know what you're going to get.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who is planning on going to the city and staying over and I look forward to going back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Stayed at Mela last weekend, $159 plus taxes through a Travelocity deal--GREAT for NYC!!! Room was basically taken up entirely by the bed, but it was fine--we weren't planning on spending a lot of time inside anyway. Very clean room. Nice staff, especially concierge/valet parking crew. Great location--in the middle of everything, yet quiet because it's on a side street. Free wifi was a plus.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

The cost was quite reasonable, the room was a comfortable size for NYC standards, and the staff was amongst the friendliest we've encountered in our four trips since 2007. The location is outstanding. Breakfast restaurants nearby, theaters nearby. We walked to Macy's and then to Rockefeller Center, all in one day.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Desk Staff very acomodating to my needs as a guest. Stayed here for 5 nights and would definitely stay again---if the price is right! Very accessible location to Times Square and all the Theatres. Yet---far enough way to not have to hear all the noise.

WIFI--was very fast and efficient.

When I was there 1 of the 3 elevators kept going out of service and that tended to cause a bit of back up in the lobby at peak times.

(Sorry about the lateness of this review, but was just looking towards next year's trip and thought I should write of my experiences. I Highly recommend it!

Room Tip: If room size is a matter of importance--upgrade to superior queen room. I had an end of the hallway...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Narragansett, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here before and liked it. Came again to do some holiday shopping - got an unheard of rate of $180! I've NEVER gotten a hotel in NYC that cheap (well, not one I'd stay in). Mela is great - in Times Square, very clean, quiet... Only thing I give it an average rating on was service. Staff seemed barely interested in anything. Asking for a rush on the room for cleaning or an early check in was brushed off. Ask for a taxi, they tell you to go stand on 6th. BUT, at $180 I would stay here everytime!

• Stayed December 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

Great location and wonderful staff.
Reasonably priced for New York.
The room was quiet and clean. It's a small hotel but very nice. In the heart of broadway, surrounded by good restaurants. A most pleasant experience.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Hotel Mela? Share your experiences!