“Liked It - Good Location - Nice Room - Nice Staff” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Mela
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   120 West 44th St, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #159 of 449 hotels in New York City
Woodstock, Connecticut
“Liked It - Good Location - Nice Room - Nice Staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I think this is rated as a 4 star hotel. I would say more like a 3.5 as there is nothing particularly special about it. However, I would stay here anytime it is priced right (not often). It is clean, well maintained, and the staff was perfectly friendly, helpful and nice. There really is not a lobby, the rooms are New York small (which is ok) and the TV was tiny. My view was of a brick wall.

The location is good (as least for me).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

2,336 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This is a very good hotel, small, right off Times Square. The rooms are not large, but well -appointed. Although close to Times Square, noise is not a problem. Very good location with easy access to rest of Manhatten.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at the Hotel Mela. I stayed in an Executive room, which was very large, especially for New York where I find the rooms to be quite small.

The room had a large king bed, lots of storage, great furnishing, a large desk and chair. Flat screen TV, mini bar, superior tea/coffee making facilities, iron/ironing board, dressing gown, electronic safe to name but some of the useful features.

The bathroom had a shower (no bath), was very clean and had complimentary toiletries.

The check-in was smooth, the staff very friendly and helpful, they organised my taxi to the airport and allowed me to give them something to leave behind the desk for a friend to collect. This was all during Hurricane Sandy, so the extra effort made by staff to accommodate us was most welcome.

I would highly recommend staying here, and will be back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
manchester uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We arrived in New York just a few hours ahead of hurricane Sandy , on Sunday 28/10/2012. On arriving @ the hotel we greeted professionaly /politely . There were 5 of us to check in & the ptocess was dealt with efficiently , with no delays to the process . There was a porter available to take luggage to our individual rooms . We had researched the hotel prior to booking it , therefore were fully aware of comments re room size's etc. True, the rooms are not big , however, they are as described & given the actual time spent in them suited us . They were warm & comfortable ( beds/pillow's very comfortable ) Our rooms were very clean as were the bathrooms , clean towels/ bathmat replaced daily , each room also had bath robes for guests .....not always provided in 4* hotels. Beds made/ changed etc .....full room service !!! All rooms had tea / coffee making facilities. Window privacy achieved by drawing the 'blackout curtains ' Unfortunately, although the city had done as much as possible to prepare for "Sandy " no one knew just what the effects would be on New York city. The hotel did produce / deliver individual letters to each of our rooms ( and every one else's I'm sure ) which were both informative & supportive , which actually gave us a level of confidence re the hotel & plans to deal with issues that may arise from the storm . Anytime , we needed to speak to the reception staff they were courteous/helpful/ . The hotel is extremely well placed in mid manhattan, with most sights all within walking distance just perfect for us ! Sandy .....certainly impacted on our short holiday , but the quality/value/locatioin. of Hotel Mela was a bonus. All 5 of us would recommend the hotel & would stay again , if we have future trips.

Almost forgot to comment on the mini bar & it's digitalised purchasing system , this is not unusual now in hotels , we actually thought it quite good that when checking in the reception staff explained the system to us . We are all cautious re hotel mini bars & their costs .....so the ones in our rooms held no surprises !!

Room Tip: Really cannot comment on rooms other than ours which were all on the 4th floor. Non of us had 'v...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Good location midtown hotel. Less than a block to times square, yet I heard little noise despite having a room facing the street.

I stayed here as a last minute booking following being stranded in NYC following hurricane Sandy, but the hotel staff were a little unsympathetic, and unable to accommodate my request for a room with a bathtub, which I was desperate for after not having showered for 3 days.

Rooms are on the small side but that's to be expected for the location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I am thoroughly disappointed and let down. Having had to book into the hotel last week following the devastation caused by hurricane sandy, I booked a week a)knowing that hotels were getting booked up sat and b) because there was no word on when power would be restored, other than the initial view that it could take up to a week. I booked through Agoda - well there was my first mistake. The cancellation policy stated that any shortening of my booking after check in would result in charges - which I assumed, worst case, one night stay. Upon learning after 3 nights that both power and water were restored at my home, I called Agoda to find out what cancellation fee would be imposed for early check out. Astoundingly i was told the hotel insisted on the full seven nights stay DESPITE the fact the hotel was fully booked and people were still desperate for hotels, since then I have had to contend with Agoda staff clearly disinterested, and a hotel that couldn't even be bothered to respond to my emails. At a time when people in distress should be helped, this hotel took advantage and they should feel embarrassed. That is not business.

As for the hotel? When I went back at 2.45pm to check whether my room was ready, the guy
At the front desk told me apologetically that it wasn't quite ready as it was one of the larger rooms. What a joke. When I returned, and was handed my room key it was abundantly clear that the front desk was trying a new style of sarcasm. The room was the smallest on the floor - as was helpfully mapped out by the fire safety notice. Note of caution for those who DO have the misfortune to stay at this hotel? Avoid room 908 - and I suspect any other 08 room. Tiny, suffocating and the starch fumes overwhelming. I was overjoyed to have finally found a room somewhere, having spent 3 days with no power and water, and it's cost me over $2000. Shame on Hotel Mela.

Room Tip: Don't choose any '08' room. SMALL.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Orlando, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

This Times Square area hotel was great. The location was fabulous. We were able to walk all over and had only a short walk to Grand Central Station for further trips. The room was cute and smelled great (a big fear of mine). The staff was pleasant and helpful with storing our luggage on both check-in and check-out. The mini-bar is of course way over priced and is not accessible as a refrigerator. We only had a view of a brick wall but who spends time in the room anyway. I would definitely stay at the Hotel Mela again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Mela? Share your experiences!