“perfect location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #161 of 451 hotels in New York City
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
“perfect location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

We stayed in early December. We found the hotel to be very satisfactory and a perfect location. The adjoining resturant was excellent. The rooms were large enough and the bathroom very nice. My only complaint is that on registration they tried to give me a smaller room than I had reserved. I told them that I had reserved in August because we definitely wanted a king-sized bed and eventually we were given the room we reserved.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

2,359 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012 via mobile

Spent 2/19-2/22 here and it was the best overall value I ever exp. for NYC. As usual for NYC small rooms but u only sleep there. Highly reccom.

• Stayed February 2012
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

I stayed here twice during the week I was in the NY area, and loved it both times. The staff is very accommodating and nice, the property is clean and modern, and the beds are very comfortable. The location is incredible, one block away from Times Square. I loved being able to walk there, and to have everything that I needed within a short walk. The hotel also offers H20 Plus amenities, which are my favorite.

I parked in the garage next door, which was around $45 for overnight parking. I'm not sure if there are other options, as this is steep, but I guess that's typical for the area. Don't hesitate to stay at the Mela. It's awesome.

Room Tip: Since I stayed twice, I had two different rooms. One had a shower only, and the other had a bathtub...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
nickhotelmela, General Manager at Hotel Mela, responded to this review, February 22, 2012
Hello Ms. Donna K!

Thanks so much for writing a review on your recent stay.
Please contact us personally when you wish to visit the Mela again!

Warmest Regards,

Nick Ivezaj
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

My stay at this boutique hotel was only for two nights, unfortunately. We crammed in as much as we could in three days and Hotel Mela provided comfortable, extremely clean accommodations seconds from the heart of Times Square. (Good Morning America films right on the corner.) The hotel is located a half block off the main strip; perfect for actually getting some well-deserved sleep when you’re in the hotel room. Our cozy guest quarters had two twin beds, a desk with ergonomic chair, small wardrobe closet and updated bathroom.

I read some complaints about the elevators. The three days we were there we didn’t have any lengthy wait times for them. As small as the property is, there were three elevators for guests’ use. Admittedly, two of them would not hold a luggage cart and more than one person. However, if you’re pulling luggage, you could snuggle up with another guest to ride up.

Hotel Mela employs well-kempt, eye-pleasing staff members who are quick to flash a brilliant smile. If I had to name one negative, it would be the lack of easily accessible ice. We had to wait for someone to bring up a bucket of ice.

I have found a hidden gem for my return trips to New York. If Hotel Mela becomes too popular, hopefully, it’ll always keep a room available for me. Hotel Mela, thanks for a wonderful stay. You’ve earned a high five!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012 via mobile

After my last stay in NY I wasnt sure what to expect as the hotel wasnt great, however as soon as me and my partner walked into Hotel Mela we were met with a warm welcome from the friendly staff. Check in was quick, the reception area is small but well presented. We had a room on the 8th floor which was more than high enough to keep the street noise out. We had a problem with one of the 'for purchase' items that was knocked over by mistake and when i spoke to staff at reception and they saw it was unopened were more than happy to remove it from the room charge. The absolute best thing about this hotel is its location. 30 seconds walk and boom, you're in Times Square right next to Toys R Us. A minute further down or up Broadway you get to the subway where you can get to anywhere in NYC. During the stay we had issues with lights, first off my bedside lamp stopped working, this was fixed within 10 minutes of me asking reception, and a few days later our bathroom light started flickering badly. Again i called reception and within 10 minutes the little man that can had fixed it. Room cleaned and fresh towels daily and a top up of the shampoo and conditioner a couple times as well. All in all for the price paid, the level of service, the room and the location this hotel is a MUST for anyone planning a trip to NYC

JM - UK

• Stayed February 2012
Port Coquitlam BC Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

Me and my son were on a father son trip and some how we stumbled on to this Geat little hotel.....the room and bathroom were small but very clean.....the beds were comfortable and the linens nice and fresh......we were busy running around for 5 days and this little Hotel was perfect!!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Greasby, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012 via mobile

I booked the Hotel Mela based upon the excellent reviews I had read on here and paid for it using the money that was left to me following my grandmothers death. She loved to travel and New York was a place I had always dreamed of going to and the Mela seemed the perfect choice.
I had booked a executive/superior room and at first glance when walking into the room it seemed small but perfect but upon looking out of the window expecting to see a view of the street we instead had a view of a shaft with pigeons on the window ledge. The bed was great and I have no issues with the room size as this is described by everybody on here and after all if you are spending all of your time in the room then you are not enjoying New York. I do however object to being charged for a 4 star hotel and paying for top room only to receive a room with pigeons cooing all night and a view of the shaft. The towels we had left for changing on one occasion were just put back on the side of the bath and the bath had hair in it on our arrival.
This was not what I wanted to remember my grandmother by and it is a shame as the Mela is really well placed and had the potential to be first class for any traveller. I did mention at the desk for a room change but I was told that I could not and the guy just stared at me as if to say are you still here.
Since we returned home My partner has had some health issues which is the reason for the late review.

• Stayed May 2011
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your review in regards to your recent stay at Hotel Mela.
Let me apologize in regards to the conditions of the building outside your guest-room window.
We are in the process of cleaning and eradicating the pigeon issue on the outside of our Hotel. Let me also assure you our front desk staff is keen on responding and quickly anticipating our guest needs and I'm very sorry that we did not deliver on your visit.

Please contact me personally the next time you are in NYC and we'll ensure a flawless visit.

Warmest Regard,

Nick Ivezaj
Hotel Mela

Been to Hotel Mela? Share your experiences!