“Cheap for Manhattan - Rundown but Clean” 3 of 5 stars

You added Hotel 309 to your Saves list
Hotel 309
2.0 of 5 Condominium   |   309 W 14th St, New York City, NY 10014 (Chelsea)   |
Wanaque, New Jersey
“Cheap for Manhattan - Rundown but Clean”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Needed to stay in NYC for work for a few days. Room was sizable for NY standards, bed plus futon couch. Place is old. Plaster walls, radiator heating. If you just need a room to crash this place is decent. Hotel staff was nice and accommodating. Bed was comfortable, so if you can get past the rundown room you'll be good. Room was clean, but paint is peeling and chipped, bathroom tile is shot, towel rack is busted, there's a gnarly vent in the roof. Despite all that I would probably stay. It's not the W, but it's a place to crash in peace.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I was sleeping when a cockroach appeared in my pillow I'm definitely not coming back! I demanded a change of room but they didn't so anything! This hotel is worthless and disappointing, of course I'm
getting my money back. I can't believe it's still open to the public. Someone should do something

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

top adress in downtown manhattan! subway and supermarket are nearby. 15 minutes to times square. the rooms are a little bit small but we were an tour throu manhattan the whole day and fall tired into bed at night :) we prefer a room not on the streetside, because it was noisy during the night, but thats the city that never sleeps ;-)

Room Tip: a room in the courtyard
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

I've stayed there a couple of times, and found out that both the rooms and the prices can be very different. I'm not surprised to see such widely varying reviews. The one constant is that if you're friendly with the desk people, you get great service, and they're flexible and creative in solving problems and accomodating you.

I've paid as little as ~$120/night and as high as $300 for one night. That was because it was the only private-bathroom room left for that night, so apparently they do demand pricing. Reserve earlier and get a better deal; reserve when there are few rooms left and you'll pay more, at least for a private bathroom. I bet some of these reviews are based on how much they happened to pay; the very same room and experience can leave someone feeling upset if they paid $300/night, or feel like it was great and they got a deal if they paid $120/night.

No elevator! That's totally normal for Manhattan, but people who aren't used to New York City may find that surprising. You may end up on the 3rd or 4th floor, so be ready for stairs. Also, while the location is excellent, that also means it's *loud*. Since the heating is hard to adjust and doesn't have a thermostat (also totally normal for Manhattan), you may need to open the window to be comfortable, so be prepared for the noise. I wouldn't want to stay on the 1st floor.

Oh, yeah, and the location is excellent! Right next to an A/C/E subway stop, a short walk from several other lines, and reasonable NYC walking distance to a variety of active neighborhoods including Chelsea, Hell's Kitchen, West Village.

As far as I could tell, neither of the rooms I stayed in had air conditioning. Lack of AC is also a fairly normal Manhattan thing, but I wouldn't be able to sleep there in the summer.

Room Tip: I've only stayed in the rooms with private bathrooms. Each room seems very different. Room 39...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Buenos Aires, Argentina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

My first night I listen to noises just to turn on the lights and see two rats all over my luggage. The staff solution was to scare the rats out of the room (that remained somewhere on the building). They didn´t seem shocked or embarrased or apologetic. Thats the worst part.
The room wasn´t cleaned. They just change towels and make the bed. Dust all over the room.
HIGHLY OVERPRICED. USD300 a night for this hotel is a cruel joke. You get decent accomodation for that price elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
hotel309, General Manager at Hotel 309, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I can assure you that problems like this we take with the utmost seriousness and they demand immediate action. I am truly sorry you had this experience while staying with us and I can certainly understand how upsetting that can be. At your convenience, please contact us directly at the hotel (1-888-309-4683) as I would like to arrange for proper compensation for this problem to be addressed if it has not been done so already. Again, please accept my sincere apologies for this situation. We continue to strive to prevent similar situations from ever occurring in our hotel again.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

I had the absolute worst stay at this dirty hotel.
My stuff went missing because the maid left the door open and the staff said they cant really do anything about it and said that I was the one who probably misplaced it.
Also the heating didn't work and my private shower didn't work. And the private rooms are not exactly cheap.
There was a leak and a fire alarm on my second night so checked out early because it was too stressful.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
hotel309, General Manager at Hotel 309, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I am truly sorry that your experience here was described this way. We want all our guests to have not only a satisfactory stay, but one that enhances enjoyment and comfort during your time in New York. I would like to speak with you personally if possible and would ask to call us directly at the hotel. Our phone number is 1-888-309-4683. It does not sound like the situation you encountered was resolved properly and I would like to offer you more back if you were not properly compensated for these inconveniences. Again, I sincerely regret that we did not serve you better during your time here.
Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

Well there is no elevador and I stayed on the 5th floor. Room a bit dirty but organized with no heat on and shared bathroom. I wouldn't stay here anymore. But neighborhood was perfect and supermarket super close and subway station.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel 309? Share your experiences!