“Great deal on Priceline” 4 of 5 stars
Review of New York Hilton Midtown

You added New York Hilton Midtown to your Saves list
New York Hilton Midtown
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1335 Avenue of the Americas, 6th Avenue at 54th Street, New York City, NY 10019   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Winter Rates from $179
Ranked #328 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great deal on Priceline”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2004

I got the NY Hilton through priceline for $130/night. I thought that was an outstanding deal since it was labor day weekend. I called the hotel prior to my trip to request a non-smoking room. The person who answered the phone was extremely nice and promised me a non-smoking room. When I arrived (way before the official check-in) time, they stored my luggage for free. My room was large and nicely furnished. (I did get my non-smoking room as promised) The only problem we had were some loud neighbors. When we checked out, our flight wasn't until late in the evening and they didn't store our luggage for free. It was $3.50 per bag. The location of this hotel was perfect. Close to several subway lines and easy walking distance from Times Square.

• Stayed September 2004

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,023)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2004

Just got back from an excellent stay at the Hilton. Booked two rooms on Priceline and payed $110 for each. We stayed four nights at the end of the RNC - so needless to say - the place was packed to capacity. That didn't hinder us from checking in [early] without incident and being treated just like any other full paying customer. We were actually treated very well when we requested to switch one of the rooms since the carpet was wet from a previous guest. No problem at all. Hotel staff was very accomodating.

After reading previous reviews I was very nervous about what I would find at the Hilton. Anyone getting a discount here is getting a DEAL! I did not encounter any of the "peeling paint, dark hallways, or long, long waits for the elevator." I agree -- this hotel is not on par with what most seasoned travelers probably consider four star -- but the rooms are clean, bright and well maintained. The main draw to the hotel is the location. It's within easy walking distance of the park, Times Square, 5th Ave., and numerous, numerous METRO stops -- you can't go wrong with the location.

Avoid the marketplace [hotel restaurant] for breakfast though. $20 pp for the buffet is NOT worth the money. The ASTRO diner down the block provides the same for 1/4 the price. Also got great take out from SERRA NOVA [two restaurants down from the ASTRO]. Grocery store across the street from the hotel is also fully stocked with food and spirits at pretty much non-NYC prices.

For what I paid I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel again. You can't beat the location. However, if you're wanting full upscale, quiet, boutique NYC -- then this is NOT for you.

Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2004

My fiance and I stayed at the Hilton over labor day weekend. We booked our reservations thru Priceline and got a great price. $124/night.
Upon arrival, we were immediately informed that we could not upgrade thru our Hhonors b/c of the priceline booking, and b/c we booked thru Priceline, we were given a room in the unrenovated section of the hotel. This section definitely showed its age.
If not for the great rate, and the location of the hotel, I would not recomend staying here. The lobby is beautiful, but do not expect 4 stars for the rest of the hotel.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2004

Booked the Hilton through Priceline at $130/night for 2 rooms. Traveling with 2 teenagers and requested one room with double beds and one with a Queen bed through the Hilton Honors reservation number. We arrived the evening of the last day of the RNC. Needless to say that security was very tight all over. The double bed room we requested was not available at check in but they gave us a rollaway bed @ no charge told us to check with them the next morning and they would accomodate us. They also and gave us 4 breakfast vouchers for our trouble. Nice gesture considering that it's $20 for the buffet breakfast.
We ended up having nice rooms on the 20th floor and they looked renovated. The plumbing fixtures were a little bit hard to handle and loose. Overall the rooms were nice size for NYC. The place was packed but never had to wait too long for the elevators. Nice service and attitude at the concierge and tour reservation desks. This was a great trip and our kids loved the location. Every night we walked to Times Square to do some people watching and we took the Gray Line tour which I highly recommend.
I was quite concerned after reading some of the reviews but in the end we were really pleased with our stay and would not hesitate to return.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2004

Booked 1 night stopover at this Hilton for a group of 10 people (mixed rooms for singles, doubles & triples), was a bit concerned as I only found this website after booking, and some of the reviews are bad.

However, we all thought it was very good - it was 27th August which was while Rep conference was on and everywhere was busy - however check-in was very fast, we were all given rooms on the 20th floor, which is the recently renovated one - and all the rooms were large, well decorated and in good condition. The views were of the Sheraton hotel (mentioned elsewhere, but so what! who wants good views for night in a NY hotel?)

Didn't eat in the hotel so can't comment but there's plenty of good eating places within a block. Also, thought it was a good situation as a lot of tourist sites were within easy walking distance. Someone mentioned security issues earlier, but we were asked to show room keys when we returned in the evening.

We did have a problems with reclaiming some bags which were left with the porter after we checked out, but this was due to internal wranglings between porters & bellhops and as soon as the Dep Manager got involved it was settled immediately.

I would be quite happy to stay here again - but it is probably best to ask for the renovated rooms.

Vancouver, B.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2004

We really enjoyed our stay at the Hilton from Aug. 21-28. Though there was a snafu on our first night, Miguel (supervisor) and Bob at the check-in desk managed to solve the issue. The hotel was full, and we (family of 4) got a small room with only a queen size bed. However, Miguel and Bob got us a rollaway bed, waived the fee, and told us to come back the next day to get a new room. And what a nice surprise we got! They assigned us to a nicely decorated, renovated room on the 20th floor. The beds were comfortable, and the bathrooms were very clean. We were very impressed with the service we received.
We ate at the Marketplace a lot. They have a good American/Japanese breakfast buffet, which was pretty good value.
We highly recommend this hotel. Our kids didn't even want to leave!
The only negative we encountered was from the concierge desk. The ladies there were curt with their answers and directions. They only pull out a map when you beg for one. Concierge service and hospitality need to be improved.

• Stayed August 2004
Usa, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2004

Just got back from a two-night stay that I booked through Priceline for $125/night. I was worried, as I needed two beds and others using Priceline had trouble. Yes, when you call the hotel directly to request a specific room type they are rude and unhelpful. The know darn well that Priceline does not allow users to specify room type, but they act stupid and say “You’ll get what ever room Priceline has requested for you.”…thanks.

Anyway, upon check in we got a room on the 16th floor with two doubles. The room size was pretty good for NYC. There was a large closet and dresser, plus desk and chair. The furnishings weren’t brand new but were fine for the price. The bathroom was actually really nice. It was quite large for NYC and looked like it was recently renovated. It was all granite (floor, walls), and a very sparkly white tub/tiles. The caulk was not moldy (usually most hotels have some kind of mold) and the shower worked great and the tub drained!! (I hate it when tubs drain slowly), also there were lots of mirrors. I think we had a handicapped accessible room.

Some front desk people where helpful, others wouldn’t even make eye contact and treated you as if you were interrupting their lives (this without even knowing we booked through Priceline.) Concierge was only knowledgeable about very mainstream activities. We asked where the main shopping drag was in Chelsea, we prefer funky shopping to big department stores, she didn’t know and told us there was no shopping in Chelsea (she was wrong).

Other than that, it was just a Hilton as another reviewer said... nothing great, not horrible either. For $125/night, I think it was a good deal. It was reasonable clean and quiet with above average bathroom in our room. However, I wouldn’t want to pay their regular rates, I’d stay somewhere else.

Been to New York Hilton Midtown? Share your experiences!