“Beautiful Hotel, but expensive for what is offered” 3 of 5 stars
Review of New York Hilton Midtown

Save Saved
You added New York Hilton Midtown to your Saves list
New York Hilton Midtown
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1335 Avenue of the Americas, 6th Avenue at 54th Street, New York City, NY 10019   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Rates: $199/nt
Ranked #320 of 451 hotels in New York City
Tucson, Arizona
“Beautiful Hotel, but expensive for what is offered”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I stayed here for almost a week, and there were definitely some lows and some highs. What I liked: the view was magnificent, there are different elevators for different floors, the room was cleaned everyday, the tv was large, the location is awesome. What I didn't like: there was no fridge (only available for an extra fee), the trashes were ridiculously small, the internet is not available for free for the Hotel guests.

Room Tip: Corner suites have bigger windows, rooms on the 15th floor have more elevators (less waiting), more...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

5,110 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (879)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Fort Salonga, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I been the top of the Hilton Honnors program since 1988, so I been in a lot of hotels, all over the world. I stayed here a number of times, it costs like any great hotel, no matter which major city in the world you are in. You can't beat the location, an easy walk anywhere in mid town. The subway is a short walk away and the area is super safe. A number of places to eat, so you can save a few bucks. The rooms are very large for NYC & very clean. If you take a Towers Room, the Executive Lounge is outstanding and its on the 1st floor.

Room Tip: All rooms are great, but the higher the better. Parking is $40.00 per night and traffic can be murde...
Okinawa, Japan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My husband and I had planned a couples trip away to New York City. We were excited to see some Broadway shows, eat some excellent food and take in all the city has to offer. My husband is a Hilton Honors member and I’m a Hyatt Honors member. When searching for a hotel, we decided to go with the New York Hilton Midtown. It had many of a the amenities we were looking for and the location was good for our agenda! We arrived after a 14 hour flight from Japan, exhausted and jet lagged. We were greeted by the nice staff, quickly checked in.

I was thankful my husband was a Diamond member because our quick check-in was only due to his status. There was an extremely long line for others who were not Diamond or Executive Members.

Within 24 hours, the hotel was inundated with convention goers. Now, I fully expect hotels to have conventions. They are big business. What I was NOT prepared for was that some of the convention participants were using their guest rooms as ‘interview’ rooms during the convention. That meant that a normal 5 minute wait for the elevator (there are only 3 elevators that go to the 42nd floor) turned into a 10-15 minute wait, and once the elevator opened, it may already have been full with convention goers trying to get to an ‘interview’ room! Not only that, but the hallway to our room was often lined with convention goers waiting to be interviewed by the guests in room 4217 or 4219. As I said, we were jet lagged and not sleeping on a normal schedule, so random people making noise in the hallway all day was NOT what we were looking for when finding a hotel.

Fast forward a couple of days and my husband and I wanted to get a massage. We went to the Hilton Hotel Concierge and asked her for recommendations. She told us that the hotel did not provide that service but gave us 2 recommendations. We called the 1st number, a ‘salon’ right around the corner, and got in immediately for a massage. When we got to the Hilton recommended ‘spa’, we were immediately overcome by the lack of professionalism and esthetics. My husband and I looked at each other and said, ‘Hilton recommended it, so maybe it’s a ‘hidden gem!’ Without going into the specifics on the spa, what I will tell you is that it was not a ‘licensed’ massage therapy place. They were only licensed to do cosmetology. The woman who run it charged us $400 for 2 massages, and all we wanted to do was RUN!!!!

At this point, we came back to the hotel waited forever to get back to the room because of the convention goers, waiting to get on the elevators to the 42nd floor and then waiting to be interviewed in the hallway. I was livid. I called the front desk and asked to speak to a manager. When the manager called me back, about 30 minutes later, I calmly explained my frustrations with the convention (that I certainly understood that conventions are big business, but the private guest rooms should NOT be used for the convention interviews AND that I would FULLY expect concierge recommendations to be vetted businesses, places the Hilton would really feel comfortable recommending!)

He apologized for our inconvenience and said he’d speak with the appropriate people. We still had 4 days left and were hoping we’d see some changes.

Nothing changed. Interviews still continued on our floor, the elevators still were packed with people who were NOT staying on our floor, but were convention goers and we remained disappointed with Hilton.

Two days later, I spoke to another manager in the hotel lobby. She said she didn’t know what the ‘Sales Team’ had promised the convention, so she couldn’t guarantee that anything would be done. She also said that she would get back to me… and she didn’t!

All of this to say, when you’re spending upwards of $500 a night for a hotel, you do expect a certain level of service… even if it’s a quiet place to rest your head! Hilton clearly is WAY more interested in their convention business than their average guests!

So yes, the room was nice, and yes, it’s in a good location, but I would certainly call to see what their convention schedule is prior to staying there!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I have stayed at many hotels in the city. This hotel was a frequent one for me, however, this hotel has cut back on almost everything. I have cancelled all my future reservations for this property and I will not stay here again. The bathroom on the main floor did not have soap in two out of the three soap dispensers, and the faucet did not work on one. The property is no longer as clean as it use to be. The gym no longer has a reception desk, fruit, messages etc... It is now like a gym at a Hampton Inn. The gym use to have a huge reception counter, a person to sign you in. It takes away from the way it use to be. The rooms no longer have a coffee maker or mini bar, no fridge, nothing... There was not even water provided, which as a diamond member, has always happened. I paid over $300 a night as a business traveler. i expect a certain level of service from a HILTON, and this hotel has failed. This hotel is simply a large Hampton Inn, in my opinion. If you just need a room in midtown and don't care about having morning coffee in your room, cleanliness, or personal service, then this is the place for you!

Room Tip: don't stay on the 28th floor.
Chilliwack, British Columbia, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

After identifying this property’s location (near Times Square, Broadway, Central Park) as perfect for a family holiday to NYC, we booked a 6 night stay in July. We paid a bit extra for a corner room. It was of course during the high season, costing us $350+ a night.
We were disappointed on a few fronts:
1) While the lobby and amenities are admirable, the general hallways and rooms are definitely showing their age: I saw peeling wallpaper, cracks and chipped paint in hallways, and especially in our room a fairly stained carpet that also felt moist in spots—no doubt not helped by the humid weather. The property is showing its age, unfortunately, and was not what I hoped for at $350+ a night.
2) The extra for a corner room was not worth it—we could not have curtains open as that window faced directly into office windows across the street, with a resulting lack of privacy. I basically paid extra for no benefit. Don't bother.
3) I was especially annoyed that to have access to in-room Wi-Fi would cost another $15 a night. I find this nothing short of gouging.With cities and communities across North America working to provide free Wi-Fi service, and competing hotel properties and chains offering free room Wi-Fi, I think this is a real negative. I and many other guests were forced to make the tiresome trek to the lobby just to access free wifi for email, etc.
4) I also was unhappy to find the only option for a nice breakfast was a buffet priced at $45 per person. Faced with that, we opted for going offsite for breakfast.

I will acknowledge that the fitness room was superb, generally staff (with a few exceptions)was very pleasant and helpful, and thought the idea of the Herb N’ Kitchen (think: cafe meets deli meets convenience store) was a good one that we did utilize a few times. But the overall impression was not terribly positive.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This is a BIG bustling hotel and convention centre but it is surprsisngly friendly
and hospitable. The rooms are clean, updated and quite spacious- the bathrooms are a bit tight but the beds are exceptionally comfortable. If you are attending a convention at the hotel, you will be amazed at the efficiency of the service, espcially at coffee breaks and meals.
The best feature of the hotel is the LOCATION- it is within walking distance of Central Park;
the Museum of Modern Art(MOMA) is exactly five minutes awa;,Carnegie Hall, and several subway stations.There are a few grocery stores close by ( Klein's is very convenient), many neighborhood restaurants and diners, and even a Dunkin Donuts very close. Fifth avenue shopping is a block away! Concierge service is helpful.
If you get a continental breakfast package you will be pleased with the executive lounge conveniently located on the main floor. Otherwise go to Astro a few blocks north for a great Ameican breakfast.
The theatre district is within walking distance in good weather and a quick subway ride away in bad weather.Buy transit cards at the subway stop (10- 20 dollars worth per adult) -public transit in NYC is excellent- and the trains will get you where you want to go faster than most surace transport, taxis included.
Book well in advance and save a bundle at this exceptional property- an all around excellent value in a very pricey city.Keith Meloff Toronto

Room Tip: Try a corner two bedded room for the best all-around experience
Green Features: Very good- free internet for the entire stay in exchange for one night of not changing the bed!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Where to begin -- this is a giant convention hotel that is ill-suited for anyone here on business. The elevator situation is crazy -- 3 small elevators service 15 enormous floors, INCLUDING THE BALLROOM AND CONVENTION SPACE. If you are here in a convention, you will wait 10-15 minutes for an elevator, and I assure you that elevator will be crammed with convention attendees. DO NOT ACCEPT A ROOM ON FLOORS 4-15, since those are the ONLY elevators that service the convention space. Crazy. I complained and asked for a manager and was told a manager would call me. Nobody called. There are also no realistic room services -- I waited over an hour for someone to bring up missing toiletries (and then left so who knows when they arrived). Room service made the beds up but that was about it. Not much picking up of the bathrooms or rooms. Towels are threadbare. The internet is slow (the 20 per day premium service). While I may have been particularly unlucky, there is a party going on at this very moment next door to my room -- perhaps folks celebrating the 9 and under modeling competition going on at the hotel for the last three days. All this can be yours for $450 a night.

Room Tip: Consider a room elsewhere. Floor 16 or higher
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Kek98, Director of Sales at New York Hilton Midtown, responded to this review, yesterday
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input on our service and appointment and apologize for the issues you encountered with our elevators and convention goers. We will use your comments as we continue to evolve our guests' experience moving forward and we hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in the area so we may better demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction.

Kellie Cahill
Director of Sales
New York Hilton Midtown

Been to New York Hilton Midtown? Share your experiences!