“A decent budget alternative in New York City” 2 of 5 stars
Review of New York Hilton Midtown

You added New York Hilton Midtown to your Saves list
New York Hilton Midtown
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1335 Avenue of the Americas, 6th Avenue at 54th Street, New York City, NY 10019   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Winter Rates from $179
Ranked #328 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Winchester, Massachusetts
“A decent budget alternative in New York City”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2008

We stayed on the club level for $100/night at the invitation of the Hilton. Most of the operation is geared towards selling their timeshare property on 57th Street and there's no reason to stay here unless you are planning to attend the sales pitch. I got into a very heated argument with the doorman after I hailed a cab without his assistance. Rather unsettling experience. I would not stay here again.

• Liked — Free booze in the manager's lounge on the club level.
  • Disliked — The Doorman.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,023)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Naples, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2008

We stayed at this hotel after attending a wedding in Queens. My boyfriend had never been to NYC so I wanted to show him Manhattan's best. This hotel was the perfect home base for our sightseeing. It's pricey, but worth the location and the property. My room was very clean, though tiny. We had no problems with our stay whatsoever. I also liked that at night, as in many NYC hotels, that they lock all doors except the main lobby doors. You must show your room key and ID to a guard who verifies that you are a hotel guest. For a large hotel, it helps give a sense of security to the guest. This was an easy walk to Central Park, Times Square and 5th Ave. Anywhere else was accessible by subway and all the bellman and valet knew where the subway stations were that would most easily get us on the train we needed.
My only complaint was the suggestions of the concierge. I was very specific in what type of restaurant I was looking for, which was a small locally-owned type place with great food and atmosphere. We're in NYC, they're everywhere, but to a tourist maybe not so easy to find. The concierge kept recommending places in Times Square, which consequently I had been to on previous trips to NY. I knew when he said the names that the only criteria they fit was having good food. We ended up finding our own places.

• Liked — Location Location Location
  • Disliked — concierge who didn't have enough interest in what i was looking for
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Va.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2008

We (two adults and two children) stayed in a standard double for three nights in July. If you love New York and want everything the city has to offer, I can't think of a better location. The hotel is within easy walking distance of Times Square theaters, Rockefeller Center, Fifth Avenue stores and Central Park. As others have noted, it is a BIG, BUSY hotel. However, it is fairly up to date. Our room was very close to the elevators, but we heard almost no noise. As someone noted, there are quite a few service people in the hallways. However, this wasn't a problem for us -- made it easier to get extra towels, coffee, etc. Our room was updated with new furniture, lighting, flat screen TV. Couple of notes: Do not book here if you're looking for a super view. The best you're likely to get are Midtown office buildings and taxis below on Sixth Ave. Also, don't bother with the New York Marketplace restaurant on the ground floor. If you're looking for dinner, there are hundreds of eating places within the surrounding blocks. Overall recommendation: If you're coming to New York for the upcoming holidays, this is a perfect pick.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Media, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

My daughter had to go to a bachelorette party and a shower the next day in New York City. I went with her and her 2 week old baby. The Hilton was terrific in helping us to settle in with the baby. From check in, the bell hop, the restaurant staff and even the parking , everyone was so helpful and attentive. The room was wonderful and the bed terrific. We got a great rate (for New York City) by prepaying for our room when we made the reservtions. The location was so convenient.

• Liked — Friendly Staff and Comfortable beds
  • Disliked — Expensive restaurant
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

Location, Location, Location!!! As other reviewers have said, this Hotel is in the perfect spot along the Avenue of the Americas. We arrived an hour before check in (on a Thursday) and got a room right away. I was pleasantly surprised, we had a corner room and the nicest view I have ever had in NYC. We booked a regular room with 2 beds and that's exactly what we got. Nicely decorated with a flat screen TV. The bathroom was on the small side, but had plenty a room for all of our toiletries, make up etc. The only thing that annoyed me was the toilet, to flush you had to bend down and reach your hand under the sink, it was a strange. But for the $$ it was perfect! We booked through the Hilton website and paid $299 and $259 for a Thurs/Fri stay, worth every penny. We checked into going back @ x-mas time and the price is double so not sure if we will be going back that time, but if the price was the same I would book there every time!

My friend and I were in NYC to celebrate our B-days, here are some recommendations...
We took the Sex and the City bus tour $45 a ticket and you have to make a reservation in advance, very fun! The tour makes a few stops and you get a free cupcake!

We also went to dinner @ Les Halles 414 Park Ave S, they have $19.99 Steak Frittes (steak and fries) every day! Steak was cooked perfectly, dessert was great too.

We had dinner @ Serendipity, and I would never go back again! Frozen Hot chocolate was good, but the food was not worth it.

Also check out Dylan's Candy Store... 3 floors of candy, who can resist that!
Hope this helps you to have a great trip to NYC!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
milan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

Other than a convenient location (6th ave, 52e) this old building won't offer anything else.

i was on one of the executive floors: ridiculous.

room: old old old, carpet stained, broken tiles, wallpaper coming off, miserable bathroom with clogged tub. cheap and old materials.
tv: a very old clunky model. quality of channels very poor.
executive lounge: every body can free ride for breakfast or snack. nobody checks eligibility. (don't bother paying executive services...)

amazed by other positive reviews.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2008

First, the Good:
This large hotel has all the amenities you can expect from a large, US-based hotel chain. It is located in Midtown Manhatten, only a few blocks from Central Park and Broadway. If you are in NY for theater, this is a great hotel, because when you get ready to leave the hotel for the theater, you can avoid the long lines at the taxi stand by simply walking to the theater, or taking one of the many bicycle taxis - they're a litte more expensive than a regular taxi, but for a short trip, they can be faster, and certainly more entertaining. Location-wise, this place is great. Many of the staff (especially the restaurant and the housekeepers) were very nice and accomodating, even though the hotel is very busy all the time.

Next, the Bad:
In contrast to the nice staff that I mentioned under the "Good" section, some of the staff were not very helpful or friendly at all - mostly the bar staff. As you will see, some of the staff were downright "Ugly" - read on. Another "bad" thing (at least for me) is the fact that the hotel is extremely busy all the time. In the main lobby area, the noise and activity level is pretty much non-stop. Some folks like that, and I do too, in limited doses, but I have to get away from it once in a while, and also, although I complimented the housekeeping staff for being nice, there was one little thing in the room that I didn't like. When we checked in, the bathtub/shower had a lot of hair in it. Now, I know this happens in all hotels, from the cheapest to the best, but this wasn't just one hair, tucked away in a hard-to-see corner. There were several strands of hair, in various locations throughout the tub/shower, and also in a couple of other spots in the bathroom. I don't think I'm alone in feeling that the room is less than fully clean, when I see that. And finally, on the bad side, there was a sporting event that I wanted to watch on ABC. I don't normally spend my holiday time watching TV, but I wanted to take a couple of hours out to watch this particular event. So I turned on the TV, to channel 7, New York's ABC affiliate. Appearing on channel 7 was the NBC peacock. Nothing against NBC, but they weren't showing what I wanted to see. I contacted the service desk four times, and after the fourth call, they sent a service person up to check. He confirmed what I already knew - that the central server for the hotel's TV service had ABC "programmed" out of their channel lineup. There was no ABC in the hotel. I checked other TV's and they were all the same. No one knew what to do about it, except to call the cable service provider, which didn't help me at all, since from the time I found the problem, it took 5 hours for them to even respond, and who knows how long it took the cable company to come out and fix it. As of the time we checked out the next day, the problem still wasn't fixed.

Finally, The Ugly:
We stepped out of the hotel to get a taxi, and I admit that I made a mistake. I wasn't paying attention, and I was simply focused on my goal of getting a cab, so I didn't notice the line of (3 or 4) people to my right, waiting for the doorman to put them in a taxi. A taxi stopped right in front of us, to let out a customer, and I began walking toward it to get in. The doorman began yelling (actually, "screaming" is probably more descriptive) at the driver (although I think he was clearly trying to send me a "message" too - it was just that since I was a hotel customer, he felt obliged not to confront me directly), and using abusive language, even cursing, at the top of his lungs. Of course, his problem was that he had a line of taxis waiting at the curb for him to call them up and put passengers in them, and he couldn't allow a taxi with a drop-off to cut into the line. I understand that, and I don't have a problem with him taking corrective action. Now, as I said earlier, I was wrong, I was not paying attention and should have walked over to take my place in line, but it was clear that I was not intentionally trying to jump ahead of the line (this sort of thing only happens about a thousand times a day there, I imagine) I was just being inattentive. Finally, when he did put us in a cab, he simply grunted at me and slammed the car door just a little too hard for me to think that he wasn't trying to send me a message. There is a way to politely waive the offending taxi driver off, and to politely ask the offending inattentive tourist to take a place in line, but this guy chose to go the other way, and frankly, I think he made just about everyone standing out there, even the good folks who had politely and attentively taken their places in the taxi line, feel very uncomfortable. It was just an "ugly" moment. Of course, his tactic worked, sort of. I'll never walk out of that hotel again without looking right, to make sure there is no taxi line waiting. On the other hand, I may never come back to this hotel again, so ....

I give the hotel an overall "average" rating, because the location and some of the staff are really very good, but the negatives that I mentioned above drag the overall rating lower.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Some staff members
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to New York Hilton Midtown? Share your experiences!