“It's really gone down hill..need think about whether we are coming back.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of New York Hilton Midtown

You added New York Hilton Midtown to your Saves list
New York Hilton Midtown
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1335 Avenue of the Americas, 6th Avenue at 54th Street, New York City, NY 10019   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Winter Rates from $179
Ranked #328 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Preston
“It's really gone down hill..need think about whether we are coming back.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

We are diamond VIP Hilton.

We have been coming to this hotel for over 10 years. It is still the best for location to all our needs (business related and dinner spots)

The price hasn't come down but everything else has come down.

Granted this was Thanks giving weekend. On this occasion we booked through Expedia as the prices was 50% less than booking through Hilton.com as we normally do. We were upgraded to a deluxe room. It was the same class of room we had booked through Expedia and the only thing deluxe about it was a sofa....but wait....that's not deluxe because it's a family room and at 6 am every morning it's screaming kids and shouting parents...great when your on a conference call in my room and I sound like I'm in a play ground. I type this a 9am on saturday morning and I can hear the maid service in the next room emptying a trash can, no, wait she has now just dusting the TV...should I really be hearing so much ?

No coffee machine in the room anymore. We are from the UK and work from 5am local time. No tea/coffee or room service available until 6.30. Mini bar locked until you request it to be opened. WTH?

The exec room is now back on the ground floor and the lovely Italian restaurant has gone. Scrum. It's time that Hilton got serious on cracking down on the number of people that can gain access on one card. This morning a group of 11 on one guys card. I grabbed a coffee and bagel and ran!

No restaurant at all in the hotel now. Herb and kitchen is a glorified Pret and Manger. Grab and go to the nearest seating and in some cases thats the lobby bar. So us having a meeting there over a glass of wine or pot of coffee with our clients and lawyers will have to stop. I can't entertain in an area littered with burger wrappings and pizza boxes from herb and garden!!

In short there is no sit down waitress service of ANY food in the hotel. Need dinner find Remi up by the hotel car park or Bistro Milano. (turn right by the red LOVE land back by bankof America) breakfast.. Need bacon and eggs and a sit down meeting? Another hotel????.

As a first class air flier with diamond ViP status am I really ready to start traveling with a travel kettle again to continue to enjoy my 'normal' working pattern and continue to stay in this hotel?.. Seriously need to think about that....unless the plan is to get the serious exec travellers to go to the Wardolf????

Green Features: I think you have failed on your enviro policies unless you are recycling all the plastic and cardboard cups you are giving out en mass from Herb and kitchen
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,023)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Olathe, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

I am staying the the Hilton Midtown right now…just after Thanksgiving. This is a crazy time of year especially for this area. There are a few things that I don't like though…let's start with those. This hotel is too big. I like to feel welcome at a hotel…but not here. It's like one of the big casino hotels on the strip….they are just processing the stock through the gates. There is no care or concern, no welcome and courtesy. It's just too big.

Due the size, I am sure it is hard to keep things current, but it just feels tired…and worn out. The carpet the colors, the furnishings…the uniforms…it just make me want to yawn. Everything about the hotel is expensive…and they try to squeeze every single penny out of you that they can…INCLUDING charging you $3.50 a bag to store your luggage until your room is ready…REALLY!?

There is a restaurant/cafe type place on site which serves Illy coffee…and while that's great…(at least it's not Starbucks)…the prices are out of control. A donut is $3.25. Really!?

The double beds…are very small doubles…and are not at all comfortable. The rooms are abut the size you would expect, but the decor, like the rest of the hotel is worn and dated. The bathroom was clean (including the corners), but it too could use a new bathtub and a general remodel.

The location in Midtown is great…a short walk from Rockefeller Center, Times Square, Central Park, and the Theatre district. So…much of what people come to do in New York is easily accessible. Speaking of accessible, I found the hotel VERY easy to get to…from the North…just a quick ride down the Henry Hudson…and a half mile East. That was GREAT. There is a National Car Rental place…just a few blocks away…so I was able to drop off my car…which was an added bonus!

All in all…it's OK, but I would prefer to stay in a smaller hotel, with more personality, amenities, and updated comfort.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

Stayed here for 4 days during a conference and was very comfortable. The room was very clean and the bed comfortable. I didn't have a great view of anything, but the location was great for exploring the city. Everyone that worked there was friendly and helped with recommendations on places to eat and see.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

This is an excellent hotel situated right in mid town Manhattan. The location is excellent for both business and pleasure. The rooms are a good size and the beds are amazing. The comfiest I've ever slept in. Would definitely stay here again

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Sarasota, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

I am a Hilton diamond member. I stay at Hilton hotels all across the country and I would rate this years experience very poor. I have stayed at this hotel in the past so I didn't expect the recent changes.
First I will say the lack of control on the people coming and going to the executive lounge created a crazy mess at 5pm in the lounge. It seemed the bulk of the hotel piled in all at once for their 'free' food. The set up of food along the same wall as the wine made it virtually impossible to get a glass, mind you it's not free but with all the people lined up for food you couldn't even get to it.
Next I want to make you aware that they removed the coffee makers from the rooms within the last year and also no longer give breakfast certificates to honors members (your free breakfast is now in the lounge ... Good luck fighting for that).
The employees seem to know what is happening and are very wonderful but they didn't create the changes and can't help fix them. They are professional and polite ... But that can't help me feeling like I overpaid for this stay.
When in nyc, I stay at the embassy suites times square, normally pay half of what I paid per night on this trip (my room was over $500 per night). The embassy is in a primo location. And breakfast is great. Granted it is a holiday week /event but the price per night warrants a little more serve, not to mention my Hilton loyally deserves it.
So, I would highly recommend unless you need to choose this Hilton you make another choice .

Arlington, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

I have been to NYC many times and stayed at The Waldorf, Sheraton, etc. This is the first hotel that is rated 4 star with NO room service, no coffee pot in rooms (and none will be provided either-a strict policy), a self service restaurant like Holiday Inn but NY prices. Apparently the owners believe this is what hotel guests want. No real restaurant, no room service, no coffee pots in room and no availability, mostly self service with expensive room rates. Unreal.

• Stayed November 2013
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

It's a great location but that's all that can be said. Broken arm - no help with luggage. not enough towels for people in room. did not seem that they could cope over thanksgiving, Room was in dire need of renovation. all in all a disappointment.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Kek98, Director of Sales at New York Hilton Midtown, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Thank you for sharing feedback on your recent visit to our hotel. I always appreciate hearing from our guests – including places of improvement. I apologize for the poor reception you received and I have taken your comments to our team to ensure that in the future we do a better job of ensuring our guests understand how much we value your time and business. The next time you have the opportunity to travel to the area, I do hope that you will be our guest again so we may better demonstrate our commitment to quality hospitality.

NYCNH_DS@hilton.com
New York Hilton Hotel
Kellie Cahill
Director of Marketing

Been to New York Hilton Midtown? Share your experiences!