“Large, busy hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of New York Hilton Midtown

Save Saved
You added New York Hilton Midtown to your Saves list
New York Hilton Midtown
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1335 Avenue of the Americas, 6th Avenue at 54th Street, New York City, NY 10019   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Rates: $199/nt
Ranked #322 of 451 hotels in New York City
Andover, MA
“Large, busy hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I'm going to start with a positive. My friend and I were getting on the limoliner home and realized that she'd left her jacket in our hotel room closet. We ran back inside but it was too late to not miss our bus since we'd already handed back our keys. We were boarding when the security guard came running on the bus with the jacket! He was working the afternoon of June 9th! Thank you so much!

As for the hotel, it is a perfectly fine Hilton, great location. But, it needs to be updated, and is being updated, so now may not be the best time to stay. Our floor was being closed for renovations the afternoon we left. As a GOLD HHonors member (until recently) Diamond, I was obviously ok with no upgrade (it was busy!) but to be put on a floor that was closing early for renovation and not to be told was a little disappointing. And the room needs updates.

The other issue is that the executive lounge is overly crowded, almost to the point of being unpleasant. The food and selections are great, but we had to wait in line for over 20 minutes on Sunday before being seated. We gave up and grabbed stuff to go to eat outside. It's really not a perk to be that crowded and the space clearly needs to be tripled.

Only other issue - which was not necessarily the hotel's fault - was we got scammed by a pedi-cab driver. We didn't negotiate the rate first, which was our bad! But the hotel claims that their entryway and awning are a public street and not under their control and so they don't say anything about taxi's, etc. When we spoke to the Manager about this, she was understanding, but not willing to acknowledge they should take this issue more seriously.

Otherwise, location is good, and it has all the amenities. Just don't stay here if you are looking for any kind of respite or quiet. It's very much a large, NYC hotel.

Green Features: They were not apparent at all, no ability to recycle in our room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Kek98, Director of Sales at New York Hilton Midtown, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for your review of the hotel and appreciate our team finding your jacket. Thank you for staying with us and being a Diamond member.

Appreciate your loyalty to the brand. Sorry you visited us when the hotel was very busy.

Kellie Cahill
NYCNH_DS@hilton.com
New York Hilton

4,901 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (879)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sewell, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed here during the week to see a Broadway Musical. The location was close enough to everything we wanted to see but far enough from Time Square that we did not have to deal with the hustle and bustle every time we walked outside. The room was very clean and spacious. Sleep quality was great, we stayed on a very quiet floor. We were able to walk everywhere, MoMa, Rockefeller Center, and Central park. I liked that we did not have to take a taxi to all the destinations we wanted to go to. The only suggestion I have is that the valet parking is placed on the side of the building. We pulled into the driveway up front expecting to get out and be checked in a jiffy. Instead they told us this was just for cabs and car services to pull into the side driveway. When we did that no one helped with the bags and the side entrance is being remodeled so not the nicest way to enter the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of the hotel. Glad that it was a great weekday trip. We appreciate the opportunity to host your trip.

New York Hilton Midtown
NYCNH_DS@hilton.com
Asheville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

It is an older hotel, don't expect to see the name Hilton and it to be like a palace. We received a handicapped room & the bathroom would basically flood when you would shower because there was not a lip for wheelchair access, therefore the drain was in the middle of the bathroom, that was annoying. But, the location was great to subway's and close to central park! Customer service was great during our stay (FYI Robes and Slippers are free during your stay if you just request them!). The only issue was if you check in late at night be prepared for a line. They only had 2 people working the front. Overall I would recommend staying here and would stay with them again!

Room Tip: Make sure not to get a handicapped room if you do not need it.
Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Well I just got back after staying here at the Hilton, now I’ve stayed at this hotel several times and 1st let me say I’ve never had any problem with the staff or accommodations. When you stay at a hotel like this you can expect to pay $$$$$ and I’m fine with that because I choose to stay there in it’s in a wonderful location, CBS & NBC, Radio City Music Hall, Central Park and Times Square all within a few minutes’ walk. My only real issue I had (I am surprised to see the Hilton doesn’t respond or apparently does not read these reviews) This hotel has 2 bars and maybe I’d missed this before but an FYI, every service at this hotel has a 15 % gratuity already worked in, keep in mind not once did the bartenders say anything (why should they) but this actually reward for poor service and if you’re not careful (2 drinks almost 40$ with tip) will empty your wallet pretty quick I think they are getting just a bit greedy here and unless you know what you’re paying up front it gets really expensive drinking in this hotel. Again I stay by choice but there’s something just not right here and looking around I didn’t see any notice in either bar saying the tip is already worked in to the check so beware. Yes I would stay there again (byob though) or go to a local pub/bar in the area and I’ve never experienced a lot of what other reviews say and one other thing if you have breakfast get their early the line queue’s very quickly and the wait is long. As much as a luxury hotel this is they can learn from the people who stay there, we spend our money and time at your hotel learn from us just don’t take advantage of your bread & butter

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Newtownards, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I have stayed at this property in the past and this trip it seems that everything has been allowed to slip - perhaps it was just my floor 34 - but I have seldom walked into a corridor that was so in need of a refurb - the carpet undulated - the walls and doors were scuffed and the place seemed more akin to a 3rd world hotel than a New York venue.

The staff were polite but less than helpful - I have always thought that is factor when a hotel gets too big - I retreated to the lobby to avoid sitting in the room -
As a cheap city break hotel yes as a business hotel - No

I have asked to change rooms and I will post if this improves matters......

Room Tip: don't let them put you on floor 34!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Karlslunde Strand, Roskilde, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

we stay at Hilton during easter, and maybe its part of the problem. The Hotel seem full, god for management, not so great for guest its not a bad hotel, not at all. In fact it's a good Hotel. The location is great, everything is nearby, and it's also in a nice and quiet neighborhood. In fact I also think we got upgraded.

Why are we only give it an average rating ? Its a close call to an upgraded :-)

One problem is the amount of people. It seems all people are downstairs, and are evrythere at the lobby. I think its because you have free WIFI at the lobby, there you have to pay at the room. I think its a mistake from the hotel, also if you consider that to pay for the room.

Next is the capacity of the lift, this is not enough. We had big problems getting up and down, because to many people. I think there was 6 lift, but 3 of them was only for deluxe rooms. meaning other have to wait, or coming up and down with the same lift , on the same trip.

The breakfast was very espensive, but there is a lot of alternatives just outside - so not a problem.

The room was alright, but bed was quit small for 2 people - also for children. And very strange there is no minibar at the room.

But the location is great, and everything was in order, also cleening at the room and hotel.

Room Tip: up, up and up
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

This is the famous original Hilton built by Conrad Hilton way back in 1963. It has class for sure.
The location on 6th avenue is in the center of things. The service is superb. The rooms are nice with very comfortable beds. The gym is large and what you would expect of a city fitness center.

A few drawbacks, however, lead me to rate this hotel as too expensive for what it offers. For one, they advertise a sauna but the locker rooms seem to have been out of service when we were there. As well, the breakfast is marginal, at best, and is not up to par with breakfasts that I've had at other Hiltons (eg Copenhagen, Madrid). The decor is nice but a bit cramped, unlike every other Hilton where I've seen a nice atrium that greets you when you enter.

Overall, I wouldn't pay more than $250 for a 2-person suite at this place, but last time I checked, the prices are minimum $350, which in my opinion is simply not worth what they provide. I suspect, however, that they will keep charging such a high price simply because they have the popularity of being Midtown Hilton and can attract enough customers who don't know any better to overpay for their rooms.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to New York Hilton Midtown? Share your experiences!