“Great Weekday Trip” 4 of 5 stars
Review of New York Hilton Midtown

You added New York Hilton Midtown to your Saves list
New York Hilton Midtown
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1335 Avenue of the Americas, 6th Avenue at 54th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
All Inclusive from $169
Ranked #345 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sewell, New Jersey
“Great Weekday Trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed here during the week to see a Broadway Musical. The location was close enough to everything we wanted to see but far enough from Time Square that we did not have to deal with the hustle and bustle every time we walked outside. The room was very clean and spacious. Sleep quality was great, we stayed on a very quiet floor. We were able to walk everywhere, MoMa, Rockefeller Center, and Central park. I liked that we did not have to take a taxi to all the destinations we wanted to go to. The only suggestion I have is that the valet parking is placed on the side of the building. We pulled into the driveway up front expecting to get out and be checked in a jiffy. Instead they told us this was just for cabs and car services to pull into the side driveway. When we did that no one helped with the bags and the side entrance is being remodeled so not the nicest way to enter the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jenmcb13
Kek98, Director of Sales at New York Hilton Midtown, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for your review of the hotel. Glad that it was a great weekday trip. We appreciate the opportunity to host your trip.

New York Hilton Midtown
NYCNH_DS@hilton.com

Asheville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

It is an older hotel, don't expect to see the name Hilton and it to be like a palace. We received a handicapped room & the bathroom would basically flood when you would shower because there was not a lip for wheelchair access, therefore the drain was in the middle of the bathroom, that was annoying. But, the location was great to subway's and close to central park! Customer service was great during our stay (FYI Robes and Slippers are free during your stay if you just request them!). The only issue was if you check in late at night be prepared for a line. They only had 2 people working the front. Overall I would recommend staying here and would stay with them again!

Room Tip: Make sure not to get a handicapped room if you do not need it.
Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Heather M
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Well I just got back after staying here at the Hilton, now I’ve stayed at this hotel several times and 1st let me say I’ve never had any problem with the staff or accommodations. When you stay at a hotel like this you can expect to pay $$$$$ and I’m fine with that because I choose to stay there in it’s in a wonderful location, CBS & NBC, Radio City Music Hall, Central Park and Times Square all within a few minutes’ walk. My only real issue I had (I am surprised to see the Hilton doesn’t respond or apparently does not read these reviews) This hotel has 2 bars and maybe I’d missed this before but an FYI, every service at this hotel has a 15 % gratuity already worked in, keep in mind not once did the bartenders say anything (why should they) but this actually reward for poor service and if you’re not careful (2 drinks almost 40$ with tip) will empty your wallet pretty quick I think they are getting just a bit greedy here and unless you know what you’re paying up front it gets really expensive drinking in this hotel. Again I stay by choice but there’s something just not right here and looking around I didn’t see any notice in either bar saying the tip is already worked in to the check so beware. Yes I would stay there again (byob though) or go to a local pub/bar in the area and I’ve never experienced a lot of what other reviews say and one other thing if you have breakfast get their early the line queue’s very quickly and the wait is long. As much as a luxury hotel this is they can learn from the people who stay there, we spend our money and time at your hotel learn from us just don’t take advantage of your bread & butter

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank wallyreidjr
Newtownards, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I have stayed at this property in the past and this trip it seems that everything has been allowed to slip - perhaps it was just my floor 34 - but I have seldom walked into a corridor that was so in need of a refurb - the carpet undulated - the walls and doors were scuffed and the place seemed more akin to a 3rd world hotel than a New York venue.

The staff were polite but less than helpful - I have always thought that is factor when a hotel gets too big - I retreated to the lobby to avoid sitting in the room -
As a cheap city break hotel yes as a business hotel - No

I have asked to change rooms and I will post if this improves matters......

Room Tip: don't let them put you on floor 34!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Karlslunde Strand, Roskilde, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

we stay at Hilton during easter, and maybe its part of the problem. The Hotel seem full, god for management, not so great for guest its not a bad hotel, not at all. In fact it's a good Hotel. The location is great, everything is nearby, and it's also in a nice and quiet neighborhood. In fact I also think we got upgraded.

Why are we only give it an average rating ? Its a close call to an upgraded :-)

One problem is the amount of people. It seems all people are downstairs, and are evrythere at the lobby. I think its because you have free WIFI at the lobby, there you have to pay at the room. I think its a mistake from the hotel, also if you consider that to pay for the room.

Next is the capacity of the lift, this is not enough. We had big problems getting up and down, because to many people. I think there was 6 lift, but 3 of them was only for deluxe rooms. meaning other have to wait, or coming up and down with the same lift , on the same trip.

The breakfast was very espensive, but there is a lot of alternatives just outside - so not a problem.

The room was alright, but bed was quit small for 2 people - also for children. And very strange there is no minibar at the room.

But the location is great, and everything was in order, also cleening at the room and hotel.

Room Tip: up, up and up
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Torben S
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

This is the famous original Hilton built by Conrad Hilton way back in 1963. It has class for sure.
The location on 6th avenue is in the center of things. The service is superb. The rooms are nice with very comfortable beds. The gym is large and what you would expect of a city fitness center.

A few drawbacks, however, lead me to rate this hotel as too expensive for what it offers. For one, they advertise a sauna but the locker rooms seem to have been out of service when we were there. As well, the breakfast is marginal, at best, and is not up to par with breakfasts that I've had at other Hiltons (eg Copenhagen, Madrid). The decor is nice but a bit cramped, unlike every other Hilton where I've seen a nice atrium that greets you when you enter.

Overall, I wouldn't pay more than $250 for a 2-person suite at this place, but last time I checked, the prices are minimum $350, which in my opinion is simply not worth what they provide. I suspect, however, that they will keep charging such a high price simply because they have the popularity of being Midtown Hilton and can attract enough customers who don't know any better to overpay for their rooms.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Brentwood, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

The property is the perfect location to stay. The property has everything one would need to enjoy their vacation in the Big Apple.

Some of the staff can be at times not friendly and reluctant to answer a simple question. However, the majority of the staff will go far an beyond the call of duty!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business