“Buddha would approve” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Buddakan

Buddakan
75 9th Avenue, At W 15th and W 16th in Chelsea, Meatpacking District, New York City, NY 10011 (Chelsea)
212-989-6699
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Buddakan is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 11,180 Restaurants in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dessert, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Cross street: 16th Street
Transit: A,C,E to 14th Street. L to 8th Ave.
Description: The surreal atmosphere of this awe-inspiring restaurant in the Meatpacking district of Manhattan combines the serenity of Asia with the flamboyance of 16th century Paris. The menu features fanciful interpretations of Chinese dishes and delights even the most discriminating palates.
Cairo, New York
“Buddha would approve”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We loved our first trip to Buddakan.It has a very tall and large main room, and noise is a concern.
Edamame dumplings divine!
King crab siu mai are amazing, with a different cut on a typical crab.
Crispy duck not to be missed.
Soft shells also a favorite.
Kung Pao monkfish was great and better on day 2.
Ask for Ed, the sommelier, he is a friend I have to admit, but also very well trained to recommend us a nice smokey sauv. blanc with our meal.
I will have to give Buddakan a "shameless endorsement". I am a foodie and proud to be so.
-David Allen

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida
“Great food in NYC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I booked the trip to NYC my wife handled all the food. She booked us at this restaurant on our second night. There was a wait despite the reservation so we had a couple drinks at the bar. Not that this was a surprise at such a hot spot in New York but its worth mentioning. After about 30 minutes we where seated and ordered our food. I have to say it was some of the best food I have had. The service was great, and attentive and always ready to refill a glass of wine or anything else we needed. There are many choices of restaurants in New York, but should I visit again, I will definitely eat here once again.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Great food and brilliant service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

It was hard to get a booking for a table of 8 online but got one by calling itsdark and moody and super trendy great for entertaining will go again next time I'm in NY

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Wellington, New Zealand
“A must visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I had heard about this place before I arrived in NYC and was recommended to go there by friends. You have to book early so I would suggest at least 3-4 days out.
It is super trendy and very New Yorky. The door is black from the street and it is not obviously where it is.
Once inside it is grand and spacious and the are two staircases on either side that lead you into the dining room from the bar.
The difference between this and other top NY restaurants I have been to is the space they allow there diners. We have a large table and no other table was seated near us. You didn't feel rushed and the food was out of this world. Would highly recommend this place if in NYC.

Visited June 2014
Longyearbyen
“Extraordinary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Just go ahead and reserve a table if you are going to New York.
You won't be disappointed, I can promise :)

We had awesome food, awesome service and there's just something about the vibe there that makes you never want to leave :)

• Visited June 2014