“Amazing atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Buddakan

Buddakan
75 9th Ave, New York City, NY 10011 (Chelsea)
212-989-6699
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Buddakan is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 11,777 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Cross street: 16th Street
Transit: A,C,E to 14th Street. L to 8th Ave.
Description: The surreal atmosphere of this awe-inspiring restaurant in the Meatpacking district of Manhattan combines the serenity of Asia with the flamboyance of 16th century Paris. The menu features fanciful interpretations of Chinese dishes and delights even the most discriminating palates.
Sao Paulo, SP
“Amazing atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I was quite surprised by the attention and service provided by the staff. I called one hour before going to the restaurant and the attendant was very helpful and nice to me while doing the reservation. For a Sunday night, the place was not crowded and we even heard that a marriage proposal was just made by a guy next to us. Our server, Cory, was really nice, helpful, honest and willing to solve all of our questions and gave us very good recommendations on the dishes. The food was really good, really original and faithful to Asian cuisine. Worth going, the drinks were also awesome

• 5 of 5 stars Food

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
Richmond, Virginia
“Solid Option”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

The food was good, service was a bit of "be thankful we are serving you" attitude, but was professional and finally can not complain. I would not come across town just to go but if you are in the area, for sure a great option.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“not sure what to say”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

This is one of this situation where i m clashing with myself regarding writing the review.
Objectively i can see why this place is getting 4,5 star rating by many. It is impeccably well ran place, with atmospherically magnificent gargantuan dinning room surrounded by several lounge-y type smaller dinning spaces.Decor - mix of different styles and eras synced very well.
They make the best cosmopolitan I had in years ( literally) It tastes as it should and servers do not forget to ask what kind of vodka you want in it. It also comes with the twist of lemon. (Many places in NYC- replaced it with slice of lemon and lime)

Peking duck salad was OK, General Tsos dumplings were better as were the Cantonese chicken spring rolls.
Wok Tossed Noodles with Prawns were my favorite.( prawns tasted fresh)
Mille Feuille is a dessert -a peanut butter - chocolate base served with the rose petals - a friend of mine would keep coming back here for it, as for me - although i enjoyed it i also forgot that i had it the day after.
To be quite honest - its decent average Chinese served in the upscale manner, I would eat it again, but I wan't find myself craving it.
The best part of this experience is walking down the stars to the main dinning room which really looks magnificent. And the Cosmo.
Music was a little off tune , kind of indecisive, generally didn't support the atmosphere.
In addition to everything mentioned above- this place still lacks its own personality and overall - its not my cup of tea.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
panama
“Great atmosphere and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

While visiting NYC ended up going with friends to this restaurant which I had visited about 5 or 6 years ago, and the place, food and service was as good as my first time!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Noumea, New Caledonia
“The worst pekin duck of my life”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

It´s the first time that I'm really disappointed by a restaurant with a good rank on trip advisor. My god it was really bad !!! the restaurant was full and I don't understood why. The waitress was really sympathic but the pekin duck was so bad that one thing is sure I will never come back to this place. May be it´s a restaurant to be seen but not to eat well. Please believe me, I travelled a lot and sure it´s not a good chineese restaurant.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere