“A hidden bargain” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Seafarers & International House

You added Seafarers & International House to your Saves list
Seafarers & International House
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   123 E. 15th St., New York City, NY 10003 (Gramercy Park)   |
Ranked #236 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Falmouth, Massachusetts
“A hidden bargain”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I am a seafarer and have stayed in many seaman's inns around the world. New York's Seafarer's House is near the top of the list. It is very basic lodging, but the staff is above and beyond courteous and caring with every guest. The location can't be beat; just a block or so to Union Square and anything you are looking for is right there. If you're looking to stay at the Ritz, the Seafarer's House is not for you. If you want a clean, quiet and safe place at a great price, you'll find it here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Akron, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I found this on TripAdvisor when looking for a reasonable place to stay in New York City and was not disappointed. It is a real challenge to find a hotel in NYC with a private bathroom for less than $250 that is not creepy or gross. This is a non-profit Lutheran organization that does missionary work for sailors and seafarers. Operating the hotel is part of the fundraising for their mission. You don't have to be Lutheran or a seafarer to stay here.

Rooms are basic and dorm-room-like with twin beds and simple furnishings. It's not like you have the most luxurious beds or towels, but everything was very clean and there was a small flat-screen TV with cable and AC. It's a safe, clean place to lay your head. We had a room with private bath for $135, although shared bath rooms are also available at even less cost. Our floor did not appear to be crowded at all. We never saw anyone waiting for the shared bath. We had a nice view from our window of the NYC streetscape.

The location is fantastic, just a few blocks from Union Square, a fun neighborhood with shopping and dining. The East Village is close and the subway is very convenient, ready to take you anywhere in Manhattan.

We checked out after 2 of 4 days because my husband's cousin invited us to come stay in her apartment. We only did it to say a few bucks, not because we were unhappy with the room. We gave them 24 hours notice and they were fine with it. I plan on making this my regular hotel in NYC in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I am a seaman and have stayed there many times on my way to work on my tugboat. This hotel has always been a real blessing to me. The rooms are basic, but I never really just hang out when I stay there. I like to go see NY when I have time. The location is excellant. Lots of fine restaurants , movies, etc. It's close to the subway.
You can't beat the price here. The rooms are always very clean, if plain.
I wouldn't judge the place on that one bad review where the reviewer didn't like the front desk person. they have always been decent to me and I have stayed there many times over the years. Maybe that one employee was just having a bad day.
If you like a good value, this is your place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I asked my room to be cleaned "three" separate times, and it was still not done. They do not clean the rooms on the weekend and change the sheets only once a week! When they did not follow-up on cleaning the room on the Monday, I was very disappointed. No one toke responsibility.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
mdrege, General Manager at Seafarers & International House, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
We publish in a directory as well as verbally tell guests upon check-in that there is no housekeeping service on weekends or holidays. We regret that this guest was not aware of this policy.
Menomonie, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

For Manhattan Island, it is hard to beat the price point of a room at this hotel. We have stayed here many times and continue to be pleased with the offerings, the staff, and certainly the location as it is one block from Union Square and the subway. There are lots of amenities within a few block radius including but not limited to three grocery stores including Whole Foods, Trader Joes, a drug store/pharmacy, a multitude of restaurants, shopping, and Union Square itself which is pleasant to sit and relax in. Be aware the hotel is not the Plaza or the Hyatt Regency. The accomodations are basic with all the essentials one really needs. We had a twin room with bathroom in the room otherwise there is the option of sharing a bathroom in the hallway, which might decrease the cost of your room. The fact they are "more than a hotel" is also admirable given the ministry they provide (you're invited to check out the website for this info.) Overall, Seafarers will continue to be THE place we reside when visiting NYC.

Room Tip: We brought a white noise machine to help with some of the surrounding city traffic noise, which help...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We had a room w/ twin bed & rollaway. Though we shared a shower & toilet, we never had to wait and both were clean as was our room. No wifi in the rooms, but in the lobby & on the mezzanine. The location was perfect as there were 3 grocery stores nearby so we had less expensive food options. My one complaint was with the rollaway, which was worn out.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

After searching for affordable hotels in downtown New York, I was thrilled to discover the Searfarers. Yes, it is very, very basic. But it's in Manhattan! A couple of blocks from Union Square, with super easy subway access. Lots of restaurants and grocery stores nearby. If you just need a place to lay your head, you can't go wrong here. I was in a single room, with a shared bath. Never had to wait for the shower or toilet. My single complaint was the Internet access, as I'm an avid photographer who uploads to my Facebook "following' as I travel. I could rarely connect to their wireless, yet could go across the street to a local pub and connect fine. Aside from that, I will definitely stay here again and recommend Seafarers to my friends.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Seafarers & International House? Share your experiences!