“Hidden Gem for budget traveler, will stay again for sure!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Seafarers & International House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Seafarers & International House
Save Saved
You added Seafarers & International House to your Saves list
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   123 E. 15th St., New York City, NY 10003 (Gramercy Park)   |
Ranked #227 of 453 Hotels in New York City
switzerland
“Hidden Gem for budget traveler, will stay again for sure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

This hotel (kind of backpackers) has all advantages for people wanting to stay for a limited budget in NYC.

Situation is very good and not far from walking distance to a subway which allows you to easily travel in NYC.

Room are basic, with a TV and air con but clean (and this is all we were really expecting)! We stayed 5 nights there with no private shower bedroom, but all was fine!

I think other review describe well this hotel, I recommend it for pple who are not too strict and who do not need a top class service hotel !

The only bad point (but which we knew when booking the room), is that I had to sleep on a cot bed (for adult) which is of course less comfortable, but acceptable.

I will go again for sure on my next trip to NYC

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I first stayed at the Seafarers & International House in 2010 and again in July 2012. During my most recent visit I shared a room with my brother and we stayed for four days and three nights. The management recently renovated the lobby and now it has a more modern feel to it. Although the guest house does not offer any breakfast on site, there are several coffee and tea options in the lobby.

Disadvantages:

• Wi-Fi access only in the lobby and the mezzanine
• No housekeeping while guests occupy the room

Advantages:

• The guest house is clean, quiet, and safe
• Unbeatable location
• Student discount ($86 per night)
• Rooms with 2 separate beds available (twin size bed and a comfortable camp bed)
• Two computers with printers in the mezzanine
• Luggage room available
• Onsite chapel and services
• Room revenue goes towards supporting port ministry

Note that some rooms do not have private shower and bathroom. However, there are two showers and bathrooms on each floor for the guests to share.

One of the greatest advantages is the location! The guest house is located on E 15th street which is a short walking distance from Union Square. There is a variety of stores and restaurants in the area such as Walgreens, Whole Foods, TGI Friday's, Starbucks, and many more. There is also a regal movie theater nearby with tickets costing around $13 for children and adults. In addition, the Union Square Subway station is on lines L-N-Q-R-4-5-6 and the 1-2-14D+A bus lines are in close proximity.

I loved both of my stays and will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Higher floors have a nice view as well as less noise If you are not comfortable sharing shower an...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

I am about to finish a very comfortable, friendly and enjoyable stay here. The hostel is clean and has a nice atmosphere, everyone is very friendly and helpful, both staff and the other guests, but I realise that the latter is luck of the draw! No meals are provided but there is a supermarket down the road and a great guy who sells all manner of fruit on the corner of Union Square. The transport links are great, with a subway station on that same corner ( roughly 3 minutes' walk) with connections to most of Manhattan available, and certainly all the major tourist sites. Only issue is that the window in my room didn't completely shut, but this was by millimetres, I was on the 3rd floor and noise wasn't a huge issue. I would definitely stay here if I were to return to New York in the future.

• Stayed July 2012
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We were fortunate enough to be able to stay at this hotel, after hearing about it for many years. We loved the location, the price, and the staff. We had a room with a private bath, on the top floor. It was clean and had everything we needed. It's convenient to subways and buses. You can experience the farmers' market at Union Square if you stay over on a Saturday. There are great little places nearby to have breakfast, too. Book early, though, as they fill up quickly.

Room Tip: Higher floor, with private bath.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

I stayed this week during two of the hottest days I have ever experienced in NYC. This was my (perhaps?) seventh stay here and I like it more and more with each visit. The staff is friendly and accommodating both on the telephone and in person. The room is basic, but has a flat screen TV. Mattress is very comfortable. I always use the shared bath and shower... never a problem. Usually I go to the supermarket (Food Emporium) across the street and pick up yogurt and a fruit cup for breakfast to eat in Union Park. Location is superb with three subway lines around the corner and several bus routes in all directions. Basic but sufficient.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

Seafarers & International House is a guesthouse rather than a hotel, so it provides basic accommodation for much less than a hotel would cost in NYC. I stayed for 6 nights in May, 2012. I reserved a single with a private bath, and I realized when I checked in that the rooms with private baths all have two single beds and are the corner units. The other rooms are smaller and have one single bed, and use the hall toilets and showers. My cost was $116 for weeknights and $125 for weekend nights, and because of the charitable mission of Seafarers, no tax is charged. This is a real bargain for a prime location 1 block east of Union Square Park in Manhattan. Transportation by bus and subway is excellent from this location to anywhere in New York.

The room and bathroom were clean, but somewhat shabby. The mattress was comfortable and the sheets and towels were clean. Soap and plastic drinking glasses are provided, but no shampoo, etc. There is no hair dryer in the bathroom. There is a lounge on the mezzanine where two computers are available free of charge, and coffee and tea are available in the lobby for 25 cents per cup. If there was one thing I noticed, it was that both elevators could use a good scrub-out, but that's not a deal-breaker for me.

I was comfortable at Seafarers, and I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: I would definitely always get a room with a private bath.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

I stayed several times in this very well located hotel. it is not at all a five star hotel, but its central, clean and the stuff is friendly. thats all i need when i stay in nyc for some nights. and save the money for seeing as much jazz concerts as possible...

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Been to Seafarers & International House? Share your experiences!