“Can't wait to return” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sugar Hill Harlem Inn

You added Sugar Hill Harlem Inn to your Saves list
Sugar Hill Harlem Inn
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   460 West 141st Street, (between Amsterdam Ave and Convent Ave), New York City, NY 10031   |
Ranked #34 of 96 New York City B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Can't wait to return”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Was in town for a wedding which happen to be the day after Valentine's Day, so waking up in the Sugar Hill Harlem Inn (SH) with my love on Valentine's Day was perfect. Very quaint and absolutely romantic. If you're looking for super modern, state of the art accommodations, then SH is not for you. The building was authentically New York, which heightened our first time in the city. We loved the feel of it and how uniquely decorated the rooms were (we stayed in the Satchmo room but got to peek into the Lena room). SH is conveniently located near a really good restaurant, sandwich shop, convenient store and other shops. It was easy to access public transportation as well as cab service to other locations. Breakfast was amazing. Jeremy's waffles, eggs and bacon were perfect for a breakfast lover like me. One hiccup was not getting the Billie room as requested because they no longer have that building. Would be helpful to have their website reflect that. Another was the sheer curtains at the patio door looking into the bathroom was a little creepy. Being able to pull a shade would have been awesome. We will definitely stay there during our next trip to the Big Apple though!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Jackson, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Finding this gem made my recent business trip to NYC possible because it was affordable, close to public transportation, and included flexible amenities such as a microwave and fridge. Bits of luxury were also very nice -- the lovely terry cloth robes made me feel a little like I was in a luxury hotel. The free wifi worked seamlessly, as did my key, my tea kettle, etc. The bed was comfy and warm. I only got to eat breakfast once because I had to be up and out early, but Jeremy cooked me some eggs made to order. Other days, I ate from provisions I purchased at a nearby grocery store. My work took me to the Bronx and Downtown Manhattan. The Sugar Hill is convenient to several bus lines and train lines. My trips in from LaGuardia on the M60 bus were easy. Twice I called the cab service that Jeremy recommended, and had fine service.

Room Tip: I stayed in Satchmo's Room, which is on the second floor. You'll hear other guests coming an...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

We stayed at the SH again, this time with the children, and again it was a very pleasant experience. Don't expect the luxury of a 5 stars rated hotel. The SH is located in a typically Harlem house. That's what makes it great. Breakfast is fantastic, you can ask Jeremy whatever you want, when he got the ingredients, he'll make it for you. The kids loved it. To stay in Harlem makes your visit to NY different, so much more authentic. It must feel a bit like living among the real New Yorkers. And you're only 15 minutes away from Downtown. Take the subway at 145 str.
So, if you want to have large rooms, nice breakfast and the real NY at a very good price, stay at the Sugar Hill. Don't doubt!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Rome, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We complement the information given by Geremy with photos from 5-star hotel:
- Sanitary blocks dated Abraham Lincoln (photo)
- Toilet seat scraped and dirty
- The kitchen is ... a refrigerator, a microwave oven, a TV and never washed three glasses
- Drafts of air with the windows closed so that pieces of plastic and paper
- Built-in wardrobe
- Windows of the bathroom with a transparent curtain for erotic exhibitionist
- Heating rare
- Lighting of the room as like a cemetery
- Broken Mirrors
- Linen generational
- Room service non-existent
- TV with only one channel, due to broken remote control

ABSOLUTELY TO AVOID (it would be better to sleep on a bench in Central Park)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Lawrenceville, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

I stayed here with a my wife, son and a group of friends to attend a wedding in September. We occupied the Malcolm X room and Marian's room. The rooms were nice and simple. The location was perfect VERY close to the subway which made everything convenient, specially coming back after a long day out in the city. The neighborhood was nothing how I read in the reviews I had read before booking in fact after staying there it was the exact opposite, It was FANTASTIC very lively, clean and friendly from what I experienced. I do plan on going back to New York in the near future and I will definitely be staying at the Sugar Hill Harlem Inn. I will recommend it to everyone traveling that way.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We stayed at the Sugar Hill second location on Convent Ave for an extra long weekend. It was a very convenient location - one block away from the entrance to the subway station and a quick trip to the theatre district and lower Manhattan. We also explored Harlem and found the neighbourhood very attractive and safe. Convent Ave is a quiet street and we had no noise problems with our room located on the street side.

The room was large and there was a lot of room in the closets for luggage. A small fridge was helpful. It is a short walk to go for breakfast in the other location, but we noted that another family used the kitchen in our location to make their own breakfasts and to prepare their evening meal.

There are some good restaurants in the neighbourhood - Tonali's was good, as was Harlem Public, both on Broadway around 149th street.

The Harlem Heritage tour is worthwhile, as it includes a tour of the Apollo theatre.

All in all we found the location excellent; the facilities comfortable and would use the place again for a trip to New York

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Big bedroom and bathroom in excellent shape and cleanliness. Home cooked breakfast. Within a couple blocks from subway and bus stops for easy access to NYC attractions. Owner on-site will see your visit is a pleasant one. I will definitely stay at this place on my next visit to NYC.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sugar Hill Harlem Inn? Share your experiences!