“One week stay in great comfort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sugar Hill Harlem Inn

You added Sugar Hill Harlem Inn to your Saves list
Sugar Hill Harlem Inn
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   460 West 141st Street, (between Amsterdam Ave and Convent Ave), New York City, NY 10031   |
Ranked #34 of 96 New York City B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Swansea, United Kingdom
“One week stay in great comfort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Three of us stayed for a week in the renaissance suite. Plenty of room, very comfortable, with great breakfasts. We were worried about Harlem - but worries went after our first walk in the area. It's on the edges of Harlem: neighbours were ethnically diverse. All were welcoming and it all felt very safe.
Had to use the subway a lot to get around NY - but it's very cheap and would have done that wherever we'd stayed.
The main problem being that Harlem is not the sort of area to have a wealth of bars and restaurants to walk to. But, it was a great place to come back to.
The building is beautiful and it's full of interesting mementos. The service is personal - unlike the standard but impersonal courtesies you'd expect in a good hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

My husband & I needed a place to stay during a 36-hour date for our anniversary. A friend recommended Sugar Hill for its price & uniqueness - we loved it! Super comfy bed, pithy and sometimes hilarious commentaries on a range of topics were printed, laminated, and displayed around our room & the breakfast table. Also, we stayed in the Josephine Baker room, which was the largest hotel room I've ever had in NYC (it was bigger than my sister's college apartment in Chelsea!)

We made our reservation on line & had no problems with the service - we found Jeremy to be delightful and helpful.

Room Tip: The Josephine Baker room was huge & even had a kitchen - not too much more expensive than the ot...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Athens, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

The Inn is lovely and reasonably priced for New York, BUT if you want your reservation to be honored, do not book here. Jeremy, the owner, is arrogant and totally unprofessional. We visit New York every Memorial Day weekend for my granddaughter's birthday and have stayed (or tried to) at Sugar Hill every year since my daughter and family moved into the neighborhood. I always book well in advance since Memorial Day can be busy. Two years ago, I received an email about a week before we were to arrive saying that they'd had a flood and we'd have to look else where. The place Jeremy recommended was a rat hole, to put it kindly; it didn't even have locks on the doors, and we ended up staying in my daughter's small apartment with all the other visitors. What was the poor guy to do though, with a flood and all. The next year we were given, not the room we had reserved well in advance, a quiet, back room, but a front room that had a lot more street noise. At least we had a room though, and I didn't complain. This year I booked in March. Just today (April 24)I got an email saying that Jeremy was sorry but that he'd made an error and didn't have a room after all. A month after a confirmation. When I called, he was totally unconcerned saying I shouldn't be upset since there are thousands of rooms in New York. Now I think the flood was fabricated. Yes, there are plenty of rooms in New York, so if you want to be assured of one, DO NOT book here.

Room Tip: Don't bother, you probably won't get the room you reserved; you may not get a room at all.
Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
San Ramon, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

I took my granddaughter to New york to see colleges and we stayed three days at sugar Hill. Our host was helpful and all his suggestions were great. My 17 year old granddaughter and I walked all over the area and never felt uncomfortable. Went to the Convent Baptist church for Easter service and though we are neither Baptist or African American we again felt welcomed. Enjoyed dinner and jazz at a local restaurant. Room was lovely (Lena's room) and neighborhood was much quieter and prettier than our down town experience.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Berlin, Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

Harlem Inn is excellent! The best place we have stayed in NY. Comfortable, nice, big and clean rooms, bathroom, kitchen very well equipped. The host is very nice and helpful and has an interesting library for free use. He makes excellent breakfast. Sugar Hill is a very quiet and safe area, and nice people everywhere. We highly recommend this place and will surely stay here also next time in New York, many Norwegian friends of us have stayed here and they all love this place.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Don't stay here if you plan to drive and come in late. Do not stay here if you are not familiar with Harlem, do not stay here if you have a big dog. Place would be nice if it didnt have a foul smell as you walk in. Also the main contact person is rude and has an attitude problem. I didnt even stay here because what seemed to be a nice place ended up being not what we expected. So we went somewhere after 10 minutes of being in there!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

My husband and I, along with another couple made reservations to stay at the Sugar Hill Harlem Inn for our annual trip to NYC. We have stayed in a variety of places in NYC and, my opinion is that this has been the best of them. We searched many hotels, all of which were wicked expensive for no good reason. With a call to Jeremy, we were able to get two rooms at the annex (for 2 nights) only two weeks before our arrival. Because my husband has difficulty with stairs (we're seniors), Jeremy arranged for us to have a minumum of stairs to have to manage. Before we arrived we got an extensive email with all sorts of information about the area that proved to be valuable to us.

Jeremy was so helpful with instructions for using the subway to get to Convent Street. We called, as instructed, when our subway arrived and Jeremy's son, Jacob, met us at the annex to help us in and showed us around. There was a glitch in our friends' arrival time due to an emergency. Jeremy was quite helpful, understanding and accommodating. Bernadette was also helpful when we called her the next day with a couple of questions.

The Convent Street building is really lovely. Great woodwork, beautiful light fixtures and quite comfortable. Having the wi-fi was great as I had to do some work while there. The kitchen with refridgerator was handy for our bottled water and snacks. Coffee was available for us to make in the coffee maker provided. It felt homey and convenient. We were also able to have some nice visiting time with our friends in the living room. It was pretty quiet and a relaxed atmosphere.

We were in the Malcolm room which was large and had a connected room with a bed also. The only small problem for us was that the bathroom was down the hall (through the kitchen), but we knew that going in. Jeremy had explained that to us (and kind of discouraged us from this room because there was no shower in this bathroom) but we figured it would be fine. So we accepted the room fully knowing this. I would rethink this next time - Jeremy was right and I will listen to his recommendation in the future.

Our friends had the Marian room which was gorgeous, spacious and had a private bath with shower. This is the room I will hope to reserve for myself next time. :)

The neighborhood was fabulous. My husband and I walked for miles around the area on Friday night and found it to be very safe. Passersby actually nodded hello or said "hi". We frequented a couple of restaurants in the area and both customers and staff were warm and friendly. This is a fairly residential area with streets lined with beautiful brownstones, trees in bloom and gardens. If you walk around on the Streets rather than Avenues, you avoid the commercial stuff. The subway is 1 1/2 blocks away from the building and a 15 minute trip to midtown on the express A. It is a neighborhood well worth exploring, many old churches and other interesting buildings.

You could never get all of this in any other part of Manhattan for the reasonable price of the Inn.

I received many "pats on the back" from my friends for discovering the Sugar Hill Harlem Inn.

Room Tip: Tell Jeremy what your interest is, how you do with stairs or any other relevant information about yo...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Sugar Hill Harlem Inn? Share your experiences!