“Do Not Stay Here!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Moon Hotel

You added Blue Moon Hotel to your Saves list
Blue Moon Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Orchard St, New York City, NY 10002 (Lower East Side)   |
Ranked #346 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Woodstown, New Jersey
“Do Not Stay Here!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I was double billed. Just called front desk and asked for a manager. Was told they couldn't give out the information, and they HUNG UP ON ME. I have never...
I called back and asked for the manager's name. Woman at front desk told me she "didn't have to give out that information." I told her I had a billing issue and I needed to speak with a manager. She said there was none and hung up on me. Called back and was told no manager would be at the hotel until Sunday. Clearly, one needs to get there.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We regularly visit friends who live in the Lower East Side and this is our go-to hotel. The location is convenient, the building is beautiful (if you like old; if you prefer sterile & modern this isn't the place for you) and the staff have been there for years.

Rooms are a reasonable size (for NYC -- if you're used to hotels in the midwest you'll be shocked at how tiny ANY hotel room is in NYC, for the price), beds and bathrooms comfortable and clean.

The TV has only been able to tune in a couple of channels the few times we've tried to use it. Not a big deal for us. Free internet is fine for email and web browsing; no idea if it's fast enough to stream movies.

Rear side of the building is well-isolated from honking and other street noise but you will hear club-goers if you leave the doors/windows open late on a Friday night.

salisbury,
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

On Tripadvisor you can find both strongly positive and strongly negative reviews of this hotel, and guess what – they are all of them true!

There are plenty of things to like about it. The location is good – the area is full-on edgy New York, and if you're a middle-aged European suburbanite it really does set the pulse racing; it's close to the subway, Little Italy, Chinatown, and not far from the World Trade Center. If you're used to staying in midtown then this is something very different.

In the Hotel the management (Lauren and friends) are very visible, full of practical advice, and helpful in a very direct New York way. I did not find them scary as others have done, but I can see the point.

But the rooms! Let me add our list of things not being right to the lists others have posted. When we arrived we found in one of the drawers children's clothes which had been left behind by a previous guest; the furniture was generally rickety and some of it broken; a used coffee bag remained in the coffee machine from a previous guest's stay; soap was not replaced until we asked; the TV worked on only one channel and had to be turned on and off by putting the plug in and then taking it out (and the electrics looked very dodgy); the bed creaked loudly (a real passion killer this!), Possibly best of all one morning a fellow guest asked for a clean knife at breakfast to spread cheese on a bagel, and the only way one could be provided was by taking a dirty knife from another guest and then washing it - there were no clean knives in reserve!

Of course, in a way this kind of thing should not matter – if you want efficiency and reliability you can find it in any chain hotel. But it is quite wrong to describe this hotel as "boutique"; there really does come a point where if the basics are not there then no amount of "charm" can compensate, . We felt the Blue Moon was on the wrong side of that line. We shall not be returning.

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

No need to visit the adjacent tenement museum after experiencing the Blue Moon, but if you do, it comes at a nightly rate twenty times higher than museum admission. Lured by the promise of a original boutique hotel with a spacious room, I was surprised to find a dank, dark (and I mean, dark) and sporadically decorated room with dusty shelves on an unadorned book stand and a rickety round table. I don't think Ella Fitzgerald would have been happy about her eponymous room at the Blue Moon. The furniture was salvation army- charming. The bathroom was extra dark to begin with, but the main overhead light being broken didn't help. I lost a few contacts in two days. Neither sink nor shower drained properly and water backed up in the sink - a personal deal breaker. The grout around the bathtub tiles was dirty brown. The TV was broken. Why call for help when the only help would be to tear down the whole place and start from scratch? To boot, the lady at the front desk was scary.She didn't help us through the tiny front door with our bags, but she did request the reservation sheet before we even managed to drag them in and that was the tenor of the remainder of our interactions. Apparently, there's a $200 fine if you lose your key and I am sure she enforces it. Oh, about that key- - you have to really jiggle it back and forth before the door opens- sometimes up to a minute. We did receive one coffee pouch in the room which, once used, remained in the machine next to uncleaned glasses for two days. There's a brown bag containing something on a table next to the door, apparently for guests. The bed was too small for two people and the sheets and towels questionable. No one in their right minds should pay $250 a night for this, the perfect setting for one of those travel sites cautionary tales -commercials.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
ft worth, texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is in NYC , prices will be high. The area is great . The property is overpriced . Not quirky in a good way.Mold, broken tv ( yes ,some of us like to see news and weather even in NYC), thread bare towels and sheets. Hotel and room smelled like carpet fresh. Disappointing accommodations in nice area. The employees are helpful with the exception of one, read other reviews for more info. I visit NYC yearly, many great places to book . Keep looking.

Room Tip: Not sure if there is one
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

First I'd like to say that my reviews are always genuine but they are also my own personal opinion and my tastes might not be the same as yours.

We travel a lot, all over the world. We usually try to stay in local houses so we can get to know the real area rather than the touristy bits. However for my 50th birthday I wanted to go to NYC and stay in a hotel. I chose the Blue Moon because it looked like a quirky old-fashioned authentic place. I like to experience things and the sterile environment of most hotels leaves me cold. So I chose the Blue Moon.

When we arrived (it must have been about 9pm as we'd been delayed going through passport control) Javier rushed out and opened the door for us with a huge smile on his face. (Javier really is a lovely man, I never saw him without a smile). He helped us in with our suitcases then Lauren introduced herself and did some quick paperwork, told us how everything works (what time to breakfast etc) and left us to it. We happily went to our room and freshened up before returning to the lobby to ask for food recommendations. Javier pointed out a couple and we headed to Dudley's (good choice).

I want to stress that there was not one single thing that I could complain about at the Blue Moon. The staff were friendly and helpful, the room was clean, warm and comfortable. The shower was powerful and we had instant hot water all day. We were asked every morning whether we needed housekeeping but we didn't need any until the 3rd day when we asked for clean towels (and got them with a smile).

We stayed in the Duke Ellington room which had a balcony with a brilliant view of the Williamsberg Bridge. The balcony was shared with the room next door but it didn't effect us as the room was empty during our stay.

There is a nightclub just across the back but it didn't bother us much, we could barely hear it with the windows and doors closed.

Lauren seemed to me like a typical New Yorker, straight to the point without any faffing about. She was lovely to chat to, all you had to do was smile and be friendly. (We had a long chat about Richard III. She's a very knowledgeable lady). She organised a car to the airport (same price as the fixed price yellow cabs plus tip) which was a smart shiny car (a proper airport chauffeur type thing) and it was there on time (4.30am on a Sunday morning). The night porter (I think his name was Harry) gave us an alarm call and he was also friendly and helpful. Even the cleaner was friendly.

How many hotels have you stayed in where to get to know the staff by name? Most hotels, especially chains, are cold and soulless with snooty receptionists. The Blue Moon and its staff made our stay in NYC very pleasant indeed.

Not only will I stay at this hotel if I ever return to NYC but I will recommend it to anyone and everyone. If you want to stay in a quirky, authentic, tenement style building right in the heart of Little Italy and Chinatown (it borders both areas) then you should look no further.

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Found the hotel to be wonderfully charming and loved the quirkiness of it, this hotel is clearly not for everyone, as noted in other reviews, but we found it to be just the best with a great location and very helpful staff. The best thing for us was that is felt like a New York Hotel and not a chain hotel that could be anywhere in the world. Its got a great history and this is reflected in the hotel and its rooms, overall we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends

Been to Blue Moon Hotel? Share your experiences!