“Spring Treat” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Moon Hotel

You added Blue Moon Hotel to your Saves list
Blue Moon Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Orchard St, New York City, NY 10002 (Lower East Side)   |
Ranked #336 of 461 Hotels in New York City
Paris, France
“Spring Treat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

My wife had picked out three hotels in The Lower East side and I was left to make a final choice while she was busy with work. I chose The Blue Moon because I knew it's quaint appeal would please my wife.

Arrived after a long and tedious flight (delayed due to mechanical faults, but better safe and late eh) And was pleasantly surprised on arrival. Quaint yet charming and according to my better half ( who had visted NYC previously) the hotel was "Typical and authentic New York"

The hotel is located in a quiet road, but near to F train subway and several good restaurants (see other reviews) A brisk shower followed by an early dinner, then a good nights sleep fwere all that were needed to try and recharge the batteries for the next days adventures.

A coffee, bagels and fruit breakfast is served between 7 and 10 and was enough to start the day.

Room was clean and comfortable, good bed and bathroom facilities.

Staff were very helpful, and as always it pays to ask with a smile.

If you're looking for chain hotel with cold efficiency then I would suggest that The Blue Moon is not for you, but if it's history and authenticity your looking for then you've lucked in.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Fredrikstad, Norway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Firstly, everything other guests are trying to warn you about here is 100% correct according to our terrible experience this last week, they are NOT lying, although the manageress rudly claims they are! We recognise so many of the things other customers are saying about the hotel and the manageress in particular, and there is no doubt we have had the misfortune to stumble upon the rudest hotel manageress ever. And another thing, we are NOT new to travelling, and have stayed in all sorts of hotels all over the world, luxury hotels, B&B's, small privatly owned hotels in many continents, but have never, ever been treated in this poor way before. Shame on you!

Manageress (Man.) totally ruined our honeymoon by her rude and horrible manners and total lack of customer service.

Our room was dirty, sheets had not been changed prior to our arrival and when we asked the manageress if we could have them changed, we were told it was not company policy to do so, but beds would be made every day. Even that was only done on the last day of our 7 day stay, and only because we complained about the lack of housekeeping. The carpet was filthy and had not been vacuumed neither before we arrived, nor during the week, the bed spread was blood stained, the bed covers which I see the manageress calls soft blankets to an old lady who have complained in here, was only a sheet and a very thin, white cotton cover. The shower had a lot of mildew on and between tiles, the toilet stand was filthy, we found dirty ear plugs from former guest on the floor behind the bedside table along with a thick layer of crumbs and dust, the balcony door did not lock, out of date soda in the fridge even if the manageress said we lied when we handed her one of the cans (I have photos of all the dates!), the bed was only made on day 6, when we asked about the lack of Housekeeping in our room, we were very rudely told we stayed in too long in the mornings to expect housekeeping. We should leave our room earlier, preferrably between 08.00 and 09.00 like other guests used to do to get housekeeping, (we were out every day, and only stayed in until 13.00 one of the days that week, and totally none of her business!). We tried to say that the houskeeper just needed to knock on our door, and we would gladly vacate our room to have it cleaned, but was then told by the manageress that this was not the hotels policy to do. We only got our towels changed after asking for it. It took two days before we got a new toilet roll, and only because I went down to reseption to ask why it was still not sorted out. The bathroom was never cleaned once the whole week, which is totally disgusting.

The Manageress seemed much more interested in her PC than looking after the breakfast buffet or her guests. We thought we were meant to take dairy products from the fridge ourselves on the 1st day, as half of the products were missing from the table although we always came down for breakfast at around 09.00 6 of the days and 09.30 one morning, (breakfast lasts until 10.00 we were told the night we arrived). The manageress was very rude when we opened the fridge. "Guests are NOT allowed in the fridge, staff only! What do you want from there?" After this, we thought she would follow up the buffet better the rest of the week, but every day we had to bother her and ask for missing items, something we dreaded having to do, as she was so rude every time she spoke to us and made me really dread asking for anything at all. We even had to dry dishes ourselves one morning to have plates and mugs for our breakfast, because she couldn't be bothered sorting it out and just waved her hand towards the counter where the plates were air drying after being washed in the sink behind the counter. We then found a couple of newly washed, dripping wet plates and mugs and used some kitchen paper to dry them off before eating. Most days the bagels were very dry and hard, which was very strange as she claims they were fresh from the bakers every day. I am certain some of the bagels were leftovers from the previous day.

On the day of our home journey, the manageress insisted that I had to sign a piece of paper before leaving the hotel, but she never gave me a chance to read through what I was supposed to sign for, and every time I tried to tell her that I just wanted to read it and that I was uncertain that it was correct, she interrupted me. I wanted to explain that I had prepaid the hotel, and if I signed I was worried my creditcard would be charged the same amount again. She just kept on shouting to my face not letting me finish one single sentence I tried to speak, behaving in a very threatening manner, leaving me reduced to tears afterwards. I quietly asked her to lower her voice and listen to me, but she interrupted me every single time I opened my mouth, and shouted it was Hotel Policy, she knew best and they ALWAYS made guests sign, and that was the only way they would get their money from Expedia.com. In the end I signed, but when checking my credit card account the next day, it turned out that I in fact was right, and HAD paid twice! She had had the nerve to charge my card even if she promised to my face that she would never do that, as she knew I already had paid. This is TOTALLY unacceptable, also in view of the awful behaviour of the so called manageress when I really tried my best to explain why I was uncertain about signing, and she as usual just would NOT shut up and listen.

And, to the manageress, please try to take some of the reviews from disappointed customers to heart, it is in the hotels best interest to always try to better service and cleanliness. Don't write here that customers are liars, that is really not called for. You need to change your ways, or this hotel will not last! I think I could have put up with a lot of dirt and filth, if we had been treated a bit nicer during our stay. But because of your rude and aggressive behaviour, we are left with a ruined honeymoon, and wil never, ever recommend this hotel to anyone, ever!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Woodstock, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Upon check in ,staff seemed pleasant and helpful. What they failed to tell us is that there is no cable, no wine and no customer service. Room was nice until bedtime and main bed has dirty sheets taht looked like they were already slept on and trundle bed had sheets on it from the last customer. When we called the desk, a surly gentleman brought us sheets tgat didn't fir the main bed, didn't offer to make either bed and told us to " Take it up with Lauren, I don't have anything to do with that". Continental breakfast was allegedly included and that was bagels, coffee and stale rugelach. As there was no cream or sugar on table and a large fridge in the lobby my friend opened fridge looking for cream for coffee and the manager snapped at her that it was her personal property and no one goes in it. Ok then. Dirty sheets, stained beds and pillows, hair on mattress cover that we discovered when we were making our own bed at 11:30 at night and rude staff first thing in the morning. Save your money, this place was a waste of $300+ and we left feeling like we got robbed of our money. The lady with the crazy burnt umber pencil eyebrows needs to take her meds before she goes to work and brush up on her people skills.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
BlueMoonManager, Manager at Blue Moon Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
The claims in this review,along with the personal insults to our staff, are false. We have checked with all the staff and none of the exchanges that are mentioned in this review actually took place. No one was told to take anything up with any other staff member. Surely that is not in the spirit of the Customer Service that we are known for and which our other reviewers have raved about. It goes without saying, but we will say it in any case, that sheets are changed after every guest and the sheets were certainly not slept on before. Our complimentary Continental Breakfast is always fresh and includes deliveries of baked goods from Gertels, a venerable old New York bakery, as well as bagels from the famous Kossar's right on Grand Street, in addition to a variety of teas and coffee always available,as are creamer, fruits and assorted spreads for the bagels. I want to impresss upon you that our world renown staff at The Blue Moon Hotel prioritizes a guest's comfort as the mainstay for their stay. We do hope that you will remember the distinct charm of The Blue Moon Hotel, the next time you visit New York City again, whether via Groupon again or a Direct Booking. It was a pleasure meeting you ladies.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2015

The room we reserved had no heat. (It was February and around 15 degrees) I asked the clerk if any of the other rooms had central heating that worked. She said it was a “Con- Ed” issue and that only the suites on the top floor had heat. She brought us an electric space heater but 2 hours later the room was still frigid. As we left for the evening, we mentioned that the room was still as cold as when we first got there and it would be hard to sleep with it that cold. When we came back they had very graciously given us one of the suites on the top floor that had central heat that worked. It was a great room, It was huge and had an amazing 15 foot long balcony with an amazing view of the city.
Second night, when we came back from dinner, the front desk clerk said “watch out, we had a pipe burst and the floor got wet”! In addition to this problem, we also found that the wifi did not work that night. The next day, when my husband went down to get coffee, they told him the internet was out and they couldn’t process credit cards! And finally, the icing on the cake was when we went back in the afternoon to get our bags after we had checked out in the morning - they let us keep our bags in a back room that looked like it used to be a restaurant. As I grabbed my suitcase a pigeon flew down from the ceiling and dive bombed my head! I asked the desk clerk if he knew about the pigeon in the building and he said “you mean laying on the floor?” and I said "no - it is flying around”.
The employees did the best they could with what they had to work with, but a few things could be improved: water pressure was bad in the shower, toilet didn’t flush very well, the furniture in both rooms that we were in was rickety and falling apart and obviously there are some maintenance issues. Great location and great price though. and we like quirky so we’ll probably be back.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2015

We stayed at this small artist-themed hotel in December 2014. A wonderful stay at a reasonable price. Only a few subway stops from Times Square and 30 Rock. The staff was kind and helpful, recommending restaurants and shops in the area. I'd definitely stay again. Don't go if you are expecting "posh", but if you want a true East Village experience, by all means stay here!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2015

This is a cute hotel in a great neighborhood in Manhattan...a hidden gem that is warm and comfortable with very reasonable pricing. They even had a Chanda house in the basement for Jews who wanted to celebrate Shabbath......the service was amazing with a great group of people and a great rabbi and his family. Thanks for the great stay again and we will make sure to keep coming back when we come to stay in Manhattan.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2015

My second stay at the Blue Moon Hotel was as comfortable as the first. Their Lower East Side location is in the middle of great shops and restaurants. Also, I made use of their convenient and reasonably priced car service. The Mickey Katz room, where I stayed again, is clean & spacious plus has a beautiful view (especially of the Williamsburg Bridge at night) from the private balcony. I love the relaxed yet unique atmosphere of the Blue Moon. And, most importantly, the staff (especially Lauren this time) went out of their way to make sure I had a great visit to NYC--thank you all again!!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled solo

Been to Blue Moon Hotel? Share your experiences!