“Hotel filled with character in perfect location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Moon Hotel

You added Blue Moon Hotel to your Saves list
Blue Moon Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Orchard St, New York City, NY 10002 (Lower East Side)   |
Ranked #334 of 461 Hotels in New York City
Hatfield, United Kingdom
“Hotel filled with character in perfect location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the blue moon with my family for about a week at the end of August. We all had a fantastic time and were so glad we chose to stay here rather than in one of the more typical hotels that dominate the New York hotel scene. The blue moon is absolutely filled with character, from the wooden frontage to the interesting period furniture and decor and the staff as well. Lauren, on the front desk was really helpful and friendly to us, and made the place feel very much like visiting a friend rather than just staying in a faceless hotel. Our room, which was at the front of the hotel on the fourth floor, was huge and had a lovely big bedstead. As the room looked onto orchard street it wasn't quiet, but I imagine very few places in New York are quiet! There was a nice little bathroom, as well as a basin in the room, plus coffee making facilities and a fridge. It was also useful to have a safe. The hotel is in an excellent area in the lower east side. Orchard street has a lot of excellent bars and cafés, you are super close to both Chinatown and little Italy, and also very near to at least two metro stations which can get to you to both the financial district and broadway in hardly anytime. There are also plenty of little grocery stores about to stock up on essentials. Directly opposite the hotel is the tenement museum which is well worth a look, if only to give you an insight into the blue moon hotel! Overall I would definitely recommend this place.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
BlueMoonManager, Manager at Blue Moon Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2014
A truly regal review from a Principessa...Look forward to a future visit from you!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Missoula, Montana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

My two friends and I planned a trip to New York, and made reservations to stay at the Blue Moon Hotel. After checking in, we discovered that the keys to our room weren't working and so we were given an alternate room. The second room had one full bed and two pull out beds. However, the pull out beds were not made, and we were told that we could find the bedding in the closet in the hall. I have never stayed in a hotel where I've had to make my own bed! Furthermore, once we pulled out the beds, the mattresses were dirty, thin and lumpy. So, the three of us went downstairs to ask if we could either get another room or if we could at least get the room we had made reservations for the next night. The response we got from the woman at the front desk was incredibly rude! No apology for the locks not working, not getting the room we had reserved, or the unmade beds. In a gruff way, she said, " If we get the locks fixed! Then you'll get your room!" In retrospect, her attitude was so unacceptable that I feel we should have just left at this point. However, we returned to the room to make our beds. As we looked at the bed we saw a small reddish bug crawling on the cover. When I pulled back the bed cover, I found hair and a "scab?" ( not sure what it was, but didn't want it in my bed). I flipped up the mattress and found a bed bug trap. We called the front desk and a staff member came up, looked at the bug and said it was a spider. Not a spider! We told him that it was obviously not a spider because it had six legs. At this point it was almost midnight and we didn't have anywhere else to stay, but there was no way that we could stay at the Blue Moon. So, we left without any apologies or basic human kindness. No offer to help find us another room, call us a cab, let alone pay for a cab. I have traveled all around the world and have stayed in all kinds of hotels and hostels but I have never experienced such atrocious behavior from someone who is working in customer service. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. It is really horrible.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Poolesville, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

After reading the reviews before my stay, I was expecting a not-so-great experience at the Blue Moon. But having been warned ahead of time about the eccentricities of the place, I was able to make the most out of my visit. It is not luxurious for sure, but accept it for what it is and you won't be disappointed. It is a great location, close to lots of restaurants, and right across the street from the neat Tenement Museum. The rooms are BIG by NY standards. There were always plenty of extra towels in the linen closet on our floor, which was better than waiting for someone to bring extras at other hotels. It is quaint, as in old elevator, colorful employees (including Lauren, who was nothing but nice!), thin walls, creaky bed, doors that stick, and a funky lobby/breakfast area/desk. But it is clean and the towels smelled very fresh. Every hotel I have ever stayed at in NY had street noise, so unless you're staying in a high rise, bring your ear plugs. I do think they should just give up on touting the "continental breakfast". There are only 2 or 3 tables, and limited food. I just went around the corner to the Starbucks.
So if you're looking for a unique New York experience, you'll enjoy Blue Moon. If you're expecting luxury linens and a Holiday Inn breakfast, this isn't the place for you.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
It was a pleasure having you stay with us!! We sincerely appreciate your comments about the size of our guestrooms and the overall cleanliness. We hope you will grace us with your presence again.
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

At the beginning of August, I stayed with some friends for 2 nights in the Molly Picon room. The hotel itself is charming, full of character, beautiful architecture and so much potential. All of this is wasted on the rude and gruff attitude you'll get from the older lady on the staff. In all honesty, I think hospitality is the wrong business for her to be in. Our room was being 'prepared' for us when we arrived. Later,when we entered our room...first challenge...to open the door...we had to wrestle with it everytime! Two of us would be sleeping on the pull out sofa bed (worst 2 nights of my life!). I would have slept on the floor rather than the lumpy sagging sofa bed, but there was no blanket to lay on the floor and it looked like the carpet had been around for MANY years. Several pillows, along with being stained yellow, had no pillowcases?! We did not even have 4 towels, one for each of us. Lighting in the room was awful! Our in room fridge had water all in the bottom, freezer was frozen solid and the rubber seal would fall off each time we opened it. Place was not clean. Even the tub and sink were not cleaned while we were there. The toilet would not flush properly, so that we had to use the basement bathroom for any 'major' bathroom needs. While waiting for that bathroom one morning for over 15 minutes, one of the employees (I won't name names, but they'll know who they are!) finally emerged and the bathroom reeked of pot! Breakfast was hard bagles, and a bowl of whole oranges, same both days. No microwave in the building I was told. There were also some gross frozen pastries that had been sitting there for awhile. The two ladies on staff were more consumed with their own conversations than helping out their guests. It became so bad for us, that we joked about it, wondering whether we would even be greeted when we came back to the hotel after a day out. We walked into the lobby and were totally ignored by both of them! We just smiled at each other! Never, a "How was your day? Good Morning, Can I help with anything?" Last straw....they called a car for us to get to the airport and gave us a price. The trip ended up being $25 more than we were told. Don't trust anything they say! And don't stay here unless you like taking risks!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
BlueMoonManager, Manager at Blue Moon Hotel, responded to this review, September 1, 2014
During your length of stay in the Molly Picon Guestroom (1 of 2 absolutely gorgeous penthouse suites at the hotel) not once did you and your companions complain to management of any concerns. Further, your unwarranted comment about staffers using the downstairs bathroom--our staff happens to be more seasoned and more professional than they are given credit for. The two women (management) have such pristine work ethics--we've had other guests try to hire them away!! As to the issue you raised about the pastry offered during our complimentary continental breakfast...our purveyors provide ruggelach of the highest quality, and they are always fresh, never frozen. Additionally, when a guest asks us to call for a car, we ALWAYS ask the car company for the rate in order for a guest to decide on price for the ride. The issue you state about being charged additional monies from the car company should be taken up with the car company. It is grossly unfair to blame the hotel.
Pompano Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

I stayed at the Blue Moon Hotel for four nights and it was like being home. Lauren and Louise and the entire staff were just wonderful, and couldn't do enough to make my stay one of the best vacations I've ever had. I stayed in the Eddie Cantor suite and had a balcony with views of the Freedom Tower, Empire State Building, and many more views from the windows . This boutique hotel is one of the hidden treasures on the Lower East Side. Wonderful restaurants and Art Galleries, and Little Italy is within walking distance. I also visited the 9-11 Museum, very emotional, and we should NEVER FORGET. I can't wait until my next visit to New York. I will only stay at the Blue Moon Hotel from now on. Thanks again Lauren and Louise, for making my stay in NY GREAT.

Room Tip: Higher floors have wonderful views.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Kathy... We miss you already!! Even Eddie Cantor would have loved ya!! Glad you enjoyed yourself--we enjoyed your presence here, and hope you'll come see us on your next journey to NYC.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

First, a huge THANK YOU to Lauren who greeted us upon arrival. She and her colleague, Javier, could not have been more welcoming and gracious. We stayed in the John Garfield room which was inviting and cozy. The room has a balcony and we marveled that this former tenement had been converted so beautifully into this charming boutique hotel. Everything is within walking distance from this hotel. As we were celebrating our 21st Anniversary, we walked over to Indochine (the place of our first date and that place still rocks!) and then to the Public to see HERE LIES LOVE (don't miss it!), we walked back to the Hotel after the show. Lauren had given us a bolly of a lovely wine to celebrate when we returned. We slept well in the comfortable bed and grateful for the airconditioning on this particularly muggy August night. In the morning, we showered, dressed and proceeded downstairs to the lobby to enjoy the bfast of great coffee, fresh bagels and juice. All in all, a wonderful experience! Looking forward to returning again and spreading the word about this lovely Hotel. (Thanks, Lauren! XOXO, J&R)

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
J & R...

Not only was it wonderful to meet you, but thank you for permitting me to extend sincere congratulations to you both on your anniversary. Indochine and The Blue Moon...How Great Is That!! Can't wait for another visit!!
Passaic, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

My daughter and I had the privilege to stay overnight at the Blue Moon Hotel. This was our first time here and some friends had recommended it to us. What a lovely experience! Lauren, at the front desk was so warm and welcoming. She checked to see if we would need any directions or suggestions for anything we wanted to do in the city. The decor and architecture was beautiful. We could see that a lot of time was taken to preserve the history surrounding the building. The room was spacious and had everything we needed. We felt very comfortable. The Blue Moon Hotel was a delightful experience.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you both for your lovely comments about the hotel's 'decor and architecture'. The hotel has been the recipient of many accolades attesting to it sheer beauty and charm. Even better, is when seasoned guests as yourselves sit up and take notice.

Been to Blue Moon Hotel? Share your experiences!