“Great service in a modest hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn Midtown West

You added Quality Inn Midtown West to your Saves list
Quality Inn Midtown West
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   442 W 36th St, 36th Street between 9th & 10th Aves, New York City, NY 10018 (Formerly Comfort Inn Convention Center) (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #332 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Newark, Delaware
“Great service in a modest hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

We stayed for three nights (June 7-10). The location is good (walk to Penn Station, the High Line, restaurants on 9th Ave.). The hotel is modest (tiny lobby, one slow elevator) but I've never encountered such friendly and helpful front desk service (I don't recall the name of the woman who was at the desk most of the time, but she never stopped smiling, always had a greeting for us, immediately helped with the baggage....). There was a good free breakfast (make your own waffles, yogurt, fresh fruit, cereal, eggs, sausage). The room was small but comfortable. Nothing fancy, but for the price, an excellent value for NYC.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
General M, General Manager at Quality Inn Midtown West, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear Nan19711,
Thank You for chosing the Comfort Inn Midtown West during your recent trip to NYC. We are extremely excited that your stay was memorable. I believe the young womens name you are referring to is LIsa. She is full of energy and always warm and welcoming. We are also excited that you enjoyed our Hot Breakfast, something quick and simple to get your day started. We hope that on your next return visit that you use LGEMR. Thank you for your review and comments.
Comfort Inn Midtown West Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Great location is the key to this place! The room is generally smaller in any hotel/inn in NYC. So don't expect huge room with the given price. It served me its purpose of having nice clean shower, rest, and sleep.

• Stayed June 2012
General M, Manager at Quality Inn Midtown West, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Dear CDA Wenzi,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

James L
Sligo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

Stayed here for four nights at the end of a two week trip. We arrived pretty late and got checked in by William, who was extremely helpful and gave us a few ideas of where we could get something to eat after a 15 hour long train journey. (On that I'd recommend the Starlight diner just down the road!). William was a great first impression for this hotel.

The room was fine but scruffy marks on the walls, there were a few hairs in the bathroom but we were too tired to care. The next morning our toilet was blocked (on the verge of overflowing) so we went down to reception to report it. In addition to this, the safe wasn't working either (and complicated to set with no directions).

The unfriendly girl on reception said she'd send someone to fix it so we headed off but when we got back that evening it was still blocked. They had someone come up and unblock it.
The following morning, same again, loo blocked, safe still not working either. Got the same handy man up who unblocked the loo, but he couldn't work out how to fix the safe so got the hotel manager up to do it. They had to get a different desk from another room with a safe attached to it. After an hour or so we were leaving the hotel and the handy man made a comment to us on our way out the door to 'maybe remember him in our will'. There was no way I was giving him a tip for 'fixing' something in our room that didn't work in the first place but he was obviously unimpressed.
That evening, loo blocked again. Husband made a complaint about it this time and the girl on reception took $50 off our bill.
I should mention that the hotel is having work done and they told us that all plumbing problems were down to broken pumps etc. Other guests complained of the shower water being filthy but ours was ok.
The following morning as we were about to leave the for the day, a different hotel manager was having an argument with one of the painters in the lobby about who was going to pay them for the work they were doing. He told him that he didn't give a [--] but that it wasn't his concern and then walked over towards us saying at the top of his voice 'you [--] piece of [--]'. Nice...

We were able to leave our luggage there until we were leaving NY that evening which was good but a different receptionist was waiting for her tip for literally opening the luggage door for us. We're really generous tippers but come on...we had to carry them up the half tiled steep steps by ourselves.

We went for breakfast one morning but there was nothing much left only orange juice and chocolate mini doughnuts. Breakfast is pretty early mid week (6.30am - 9.30am). The TV in the room appeared to have a good few channels but after flicking through them, they were mostly pay per view movies (about 5 channels showing the same thing).

Location wise, the hotel is between 9th & 10 ave, or between 9th & Dyer so it's a bit far west of the main areas of Manhattan. The area felt pretty safe but I wouldn't wander about here by myself late at night. There's some good places to eat on 8th & 9th ave.

I think I'd spend the extra few $$ to stay in a more centrally located hotel in future. (The Penn hotel was cheaper than this one but we changed our booking for some daft reason)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at Quality Inn Midtown West, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Dear Orly9,
Thank you for choosing the Comfort Inn Midtwon West Hotel during your most recent visit to New York City. My team and I are terrible sorry that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. The Hotel during the week of your stay did have some challenges with our water pump breaking down, painting. And hope that you can accept our apology. The hotel is in a unique location not centrally located in the tourist area, but in a quiet neigborhood with all the amenities within walking distance. But I would like to discuss some of the other issues wtih you personally and hope that you can email me at midtown.gm@comfortnyc.com. In appreciation for your time and honest reveiw and comments please use LGEMR on you returning stay.
Comfort Inn Midtown West
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

I recently made a reservation here for a very important stay. When I arrived, I was told that my room was no longer available and sent to a hotel 40 miles away. The staff was unhelpful, snarky, and rude, and I highly recommend that you stay anywhere else. There's no excuse for bad customer service. Don't stay here. Pay a friend instead.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
General M, General Manager at Quality Inn Midtown West, responded to this review, June 1, 2012
Dear Jackie531,
I wanted to take this opportunity to express my sincere apologizes to you and our family. The level of service that you recieved during your stay is not acceptable to our level of standard. I hope that you can provide me some additional feedback @ midtown.gm@comfortnyc.com. Your first hand insights and experience will help me to address the issue. I would also like to personally invite you back for a future stay.
Again my deepest apologizes and I hope to hear form you.
Lawrence Hou
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

I am very happy with this hotel, nice and clean, a great location and very near a great noodle restaurant.. Sad to see that some of the previous reviews were so negative but I think some people who have not been to NYC before expect huge rooms, when that is not usually the case, (unless you are ready to spend alot of money)

Room Tip: I prefer a room on the higher floor but with only one elevator make sure to keep that in mind when y...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear Traveltheworldfun,
Thank you for choosing the Comfort Inn Midtown West during your must recent visit to NYC and for your positive reviews and comments. We are always improving our level of service and commitment to all of our guest everyday. You review reinforces our mission to be the best of the best and to overcome those challenges. We hope to see you again on your return visit and please feel free to contact me @ midtown.gm@comfortnyc.com or find us on Facebook
Best regards,
Lawrence Hou
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

I booked a room at this hotel because The New Yorker was full and it was the closest to my business meetings. What a pleasant surprise! The room was big enough, comfortable bed, clean bathroom, helpful staff, free breakfast, excellent location, AND great price. It's NYC, it doesn't get any better than that.

The only bad thing I have to say about this hotel is that the elevator was really slow, that's all!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
new york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

Bathroom sink partially clogged, cold shower, paper thin walls and the rattling noisy, stop and start heating unit.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
General M, Manager at Quality Inn Midtown West, responded to this review, March 22, 2012
Dear STFX,
We are very sorry that you had some problems with the hot water during your stay. We have made some repairs to some of our hot water heaters. Our engineers have gone through all of our rooms and checked the drains to see if they are clear of debris and the rooms we found slow, we cleaned them out. Our room attendants are also going through all the rooms to see which AC units are not working properly, and the ones we find damaged we are also fixing them accordingly.

We hope that our ongoing efforts to preventive maintenance will prevent our guest from having any similar issues as yours. We also look forward to seeing you again in the future. Thanks for your review.

Been to Quality Inn Midtown West? Share your experiences!