“Excellent food but noisy space” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cookshop

Cookshop
156 10th Ave, New York City, NY 10011 (Chelsea)
(212) 924-4440
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Cookshop is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #434 of 11,777 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Cross street: Corner of 10th Ave and 20th Street
Transit: Both the A, C, E, or L at 14th street/8th avenue or the C, & E at 23rd Street. Also the 1 train is located at 18th street and 7th avenue.
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Excellent food but noisy space”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This in demand Chelsea restaurant is a great choice for dining. The service is excellent. The wine list extensive with a very knowledgable sommelier to assist with selection of just the right wine to complement your meal. We shared the appetizers of little neck clams, winter vegetable salad, and spaghetti squash. All were very well done. The entrees both were excellent. The Vermont Lamb was a braised shoulder chop with merguez sausage, marinated cannellini beans, wild watercress and natural jus. The Spit Roasted Sassoon Chicken had a bourbon-orange bbq glaze with hubbard squash polenta and marinated carrots. The prices were reasonable. The tables were close together and the diners were very loud. That said this is a fantastic choice for dinner in a city with so many good choices.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Food was good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Even though the menu sounded great, I wasn't blown away by the food. I started with a nice, spicy chicken and rice soup and was looking forward to my main course. I ordered a turkey Porchetta, a play on words of white and dark meat turkey made to look like the Italian sausage. It was in a spiced apple sauce, but somehow didn't quite work for me. It had way overlooked broccoli, cooked to within in an inch of mush - disappointing. My son had better luck with a very nice steak prepared with sweet potatoes and greens. It was cooked to a perfect medium rare and the accompanying veggies worked well.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Salzburg, Austria
“My favorite restaurant in New York for any meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I discovered Cookshop in 2008 and my first meal was brunch. Pumpkin French toast was what I remember. Since then I have dined at this restaurant 11 times, at least once during each visit to New York. The food is always outstanding, innovative, perfectly prepared and delicious. I appreciate the seasonal decorations which are always tasteful and never impose. The staff is wonderful, very professional and attentive. I never get that 'I-am-really-an-actor' air which can be found an many restaurants. Although I do notice a turnover in the waitstaff, they seem to have a very stable staff of busboys who are very observant, efficient and pleasant.
I have dined here for breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner. I have truly never been disappointed. As I often travel alone I very much appreciate just how welcome I feel there as a solo diner. And also how I never feel rushed as I tend to linger, enjoying my meals, reading, and making the most of my time. I was very disappointed when my favorite desert of all times - the Cookshop Candy Bars - were taken off the menu, and still miss it. However, I return again and again as it is always, without fail a lovely and nourishing experience.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
oxford
“Some interesting choices, nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

The menu was eclectic. 2 of the group really enjoyed their entree, 2 thought it was fine. The salads were of good size, and the wine quite nice. The bread pudding was a good idea, but peanut butter and jelly? Didn't quite match the bread pudding possibilities. The atmosphere inside and out was fun. The decor warm and inviting. Although a bit pricey, the restaurant provides a very nice evening out. Ask about menu items as the descriptions are not accurate. Choose wisely and you will enjoy.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Sunday morning brunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

Excellent food- breakfast.
Nice brunch cocktails
Very friendly staff.
Nice place to eat. It' s near High park so you can work up an appetite before or go for a stroll in the park afterwards.
Would definitely go there again!!