“Close Quarter” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express New York City Fifth Ave

You added Holiday Inn Express New York City Fifth Ave to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express New York City Fifth Ave
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 West 45th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #303 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Roosevelt
“Close Quarter”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Typical NYC room. All space is utlized to the maximum. We had king non-smoking room on 20th floor. The floor height minimized the street noise. There was a narrow walkspace between the bed and dresser holding the TV. Only one person can move in the room at anytime.

We had 1/2 a curtain and luckily we are tech savy because the HDMI cable was unattached from TV to the cable box. The bedroom and bathroom was clean. The bathroom had very little storage space for your personal toiletries if there are 2 people.

We did have a desk with a chair.

The free breakfast included a variety from pancakes, pecan rolls, signature cinnamon rolls, yogurt, biscuits, eggs, and bacon.

The staff were friendly upon checkin and checkout.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor to reduce street noise.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
GMFifthAvenue, Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City Fifth Ave, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for your response. We know you have many choices when staying in New York City so we thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express Fifth Avenue District. We highly value and respect each and every one of our guests so we do appreciate your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

The location can't be beat as you are steps from 5th Avenue and two blocks from Times Square, as well as close to Rockefeller Center. Subway lines are not that far either. The rooms are very very small and I DO NOT recommend a room with 2 double beds for more than two adults. I shared the room with two teens and it was cramped but we made it work. I know NYC rooms are small but this is perhaps one of the smallest. Comparing it to a dorm room is a good analogy. Free breakfast and wifi makes you forget about the small room. Business center in the basement allows you to print for free. We all agreed they maximize their use of space.

Room Tip: Rooms are very very tiny.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GMFifthAvenue, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City Fifth Ave, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for this wonderful response and feedback! We know you have many choices when staying in New York City so we thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express Fifth Avenue. I will absolutely share your awesome comments with our team members. Please let me know the next time you are planning a visit to NYC so that I can ensure another perfect stay!
Broomfield, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed here 7 nights at the end of May. When we first walked in, I have to say it felt a little sketchy...definitely not what you would consider a New York City hotel. But because we were staying so long, the rate ($180/nt) couldn't be beat. It was steps away from Times Square and 5th Ave shopping. After I got over the size of the room (it felt like a European hotel room), I have to say it was pretty comfortable. The customer service is great, the staff is VERY friendly and helpful and we always got a good night's rest. There were four of us in the room (2 adults and two kids) so it was pretty cramped, but we spent so little time in the room that it didn't matter. We only took advantage of the breakfast for the cinnamon rolls and cereal, but others seemed to enjoy the eggs and pancakes...the donuts disappear in minutes so come down early =). If we wanted something more to eat, we would get a sandwich at the deli across the street. There is also a Duane Reade on 5th for all your bottled water and snacks. If my husband and I were to return, we would probably stay here again, but with the kids, I might choose a larger hotel room.

Room Tip: Our room faced 45th ave on the 16th floor and with the AC on, we never heard any street noise.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
GMFifthAvenue, Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City Fifth Ave, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I'm really glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We always strive to put guests first and provide a warm and engaging service to all our guests. We would very much look forward to a future opportunity to welcome you back and deliver another excellent service. Thank you for staying at Holiday Inn Express Fifth Avenue!
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

This is an impressive hotel. We chose it for the impressive location (3 steps from Fifth Avenue and 45th Street—easy walk to Fifth Avenue Shopping, Rockefeller Center, and Times Square). But what really impressed me was how efficiently this hotel uses space; I never knew one could cram so much into such a tiny space. The rooms were tiny—but that’s typical in New York. But believe it or not, it fits everything. We had a queen bed. At first, it looked a bit short. But my partner is 6 foot and had a few inches to spare. The bed itself was clean and comfortable, as was the room. It had a small but usable work area with more outlets for recharging electronics than rooms three times this size. Better yet, the outlets are at waist height. The bathroom is compact but clean and modern. The room even has space to hang clothes. Internet is free and the television features a large selection of channels. The breakfast is the same as at any Holiday Inn Express in the US, but they serve it in 1/3 the space. That said, the space is used so well and efficiently, that the line for food moves more smoothly than at hotels three times the size of this one. Eating is a communal experience but they offer many chairs for the many guests. The staff is uber-friendly but not always on the ball. They accidentally sent me to the wrong room when I checked in—but the front desk attendant apologized twice. Another front desk person forgot to tell me that hotel guests need a coupon to get the special rate at the parking garage (the coupon is worth about $17/day). Overall, however, I recommend the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Gateshead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

I travel regularly and truthfully I'm a bit of a hotel snob. This hotel met all of my expectations and although it is small it has everything you need and more. The staff are all excellent and the hotel is very clean. I stayed for 5 nights. The air conditioning was a bonus as it was very hot when I stayed. Great breakfast and I didn't find it too busy. Point break pub directly opposite is good for a nice burger and a beer too. Great location, I walked to most places from the Empire State Building to Times Square and most places in between. There is very little hanging space but I managed fine. Plenty of drawers though. Great shower too. I will stay here again on my next visit.

• Stayed June 2013
GMFifthAvenue, Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City Fifth Ave, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I chose this hotel for its price,locaton and free hot breakfast and wasn't disappointed. It is very close to Times Square, Broadway-theater district, NBC Studios/Rockeffeller Center and Grand Central. There is a natural food cafe on the block called Pret a Manger with delicious sandwiches, salads, and soups. Also a convenience store with groceries is across the street, if you forget something. The free hot breakfast was great-awesome cinnamon rolls. This hotel was very clean but small. I was vacationing with 3 other adults and we spent little time in the room so didn't mind that it was small. Very little closet space but we made it work. We spent 5 nights there.Beds were comfy. A/C worked great.Another great thing was Holiday Inn gave us a large military discount when we booked on their website. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your response and feedback! We know you have many choices when staying in New York City so we thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express Fifth Avenue. It was very nice to read that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us. We look forward to serving you again in the near future.
San Diego, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

For those on a budget this may be a good value in pricey New York. I was here for 2 nights and thought that it was not too good for that long of a stay. The rooms are very small, reminded me of a dorm. There was little room to just walk around the bed. Hardly any place to put luggage. My non-smoking room smelled a bit of smoke when I turned off the air conditioner. The staff was nice and the check-in uneventful. Quiet enough--no street noise.

A few complaints:
Small elevator that is kind of slow, hallway was small, so could hear elevator. Loud air conditioner. Small bathroom

Good points:
Great location near Rockefeller Center, Bryant Park, Central Park, Times Square. Next door to a good inexpensive Cuban Restaurant (I think its called Sophie's). A block away a good Brazilian Restaurant (Ipanema, moderate)
Free Breakfast had a lot of choices
Clean, bed comfy
Quieter than Times Square
They were really nice in letting us check our bags in after checkout so that we could tour a bit.

So, a good place for those who will be out and about and walk around the city, and are on a budget. For those who are on less of a budget and especially for a family, I would suggest trying another hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
GMFifthAvenue, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City Fifth Ave, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for your response and feedback. I apologize that your stay was less than perfect and we wish we would have had the chance to correct the issues that were effecting your experience with us such as the air conditioning noise. We are striving to provide exceptional service on a consistent basis so thank you for this feedback. I pass on your comments to our management team to improve noise proofing insulation in the guest room. Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Express Fifth Avenue during your visit to New York City.

Been to Holiday Inn Express New York City Fifth Ave? Share your experiences!