The three most important things for us in a hotel room are cool, dark and quiet. This Holiday Inn Express on 45th Street, just west of Fifth Avenue provide all three. The in room air conditioning and heating units worked nicely, and we were able to cool things down at night for sleeping and warm things up for during the day. This is not always possible, even at many luxury hotels. The hotel had good light blocking curtains, and a clever plastic "spoiler" to keep the HVAC unit from blowing the curtains about and letting light in. Our room was nice and quiet, facing an air shaft.
The hotel itself is small, with five rooms on each of its 20+ floors, and the lobby and breakfast area are basic, but adequate. As with many hotels in NYC, the rooms are small, but we booked a suite, so we had a comfortable sleeping area and a separate living room with a mini-refrigerator, coffee maker and microwave oven. The Holiday Inn Express chain offers suites at sane prices. The bed, described as king, was wide, but no longer than an ordinary full size bed, so tall people beware.
The staff was friendly and competent. The place was clean and kept in good shape. Equipment was in working order in our room, the lobby and the business center where we printed our boarding passes. Given the tight quarters, our temptation is to say that everything was ship shape.
The location, in midtown, was extremely convenient, so it was a short walk to our Broadway play and an even shorter walk to Rockefeller Center. Subway stops were only a few blocks away. We are big urban walkers, so we like to stay in midtown so we can explore the upper and lower east side, or Central Park, or walk over to the Hudson River or down to the Battery. Despite being in the center of things, the area got pretty quiet at night, but never completely deserted. We've stayed nearby at the St. Regis and at Essex House which cost a lot more and offer more spacious rooms, but we found our suite at the Holiday Inn Express to be just what we wanted, and a good value too.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express New York City Fifth Ave Hotel
- Holiday Inn Express New York City Fifth Ave Hotel New York City
- Holiday Inn New York City
- Holiday Inn Express New York
- New York City Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Express Manhattan
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Holiday Inn Express Fifth Avenue Hotel. Built in 2005, the hotel features include complimentary American breakfast, free in-room wireless high-speed internet access and free local phone calls.The Holiday Inn Express Fifth Avenue is a brand new modern, twenty-two story high rise hotel centrally located within close proximity to numerous restaurants, museums, 5th Ave shopping and the following attractions: Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Grand Central Station, Empire State Building, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Bryant Park, Radio City Music Hall, Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center, Broadway Theatre District and the Jacob Javits Convention Center. We are also a short cab ride away from Madison Square Garden, Macy's, Lord and Taylor, American Girl, the Modern Museum of Art, NYU, FIT, and the Chelsea Piers. Stay with us if you are in town to see the Today Show which is right up the street from us, as is the David Letterman Show and Good Morning America. Visit New York City, and Stay Smart at the Holiday Inn Express Fifth Avenue Hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, Agoda, HotelTravel.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Otel, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Holiday Inn Express New York City Fifth Ave reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.