“great location and staff” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express New York City Fifth Ave

You added Holiday Inn Express New York City Fifth Ave to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express New York City Fifth Ave
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 West 45th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #303 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Brisbane, Australia
“great location and staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

i stayed here for 3 nights with my 7 and 5 yr old, rooms were small as you would expect in NYC but we were only here to sleep and found the room to be more than comfortable and the bathroom had everything we needed and was very clean. breakfast can be crowded so i would go down of a morning and get what we needed and go back upstairs. location is perfect for everything and i would definately book here again. we were able to check in early which was great and even though there was a bit of noise at night, this was not an issue, if you've travelled to many cities around the world, you know what to expect in large cities and it's all part of the atmosphere, especially in the city that never sleeps!

Room Tip: ask for a room on a high floor
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
GMFifthAvenue, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City Fifth Ave, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank you for the feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and experienced what New York City has to offer. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I arrived from my overseas flight at 2:00 in the afternoon - but was told it was too early to check into my room. But then was offered to have a room on one of the higher floors. I asked for a quiet room as I needed some sleep. The room was definitely basic - great TV, coffee maker and DVD player - but it needed refurbishment. It was a front facing room. The first thing I noticed was the mouldy smell - that smelled a bit like wee as well. Not nice. The cleaners were right outside the room, and they sprayed some stuff around. It improved, but still not quite right. I tried to nap - but there was a bell going off, at regular intervals. Even though I was on the 14th floor, I could still hear it clearly. I discovered later on, it was attached to a small lifting platform in front of a building across the street. The bell warned pedestrians on the sidewalk, that it was being raised. Luckily, it wasn't used through the night. But it started again, early the next morning.

But the staff were very helpful. One recommended Carnegie's Deli for food - fabulous choice. They also bent over backwards to accomodate, fixed the printer on the computer, opened doors, etc. They could not have done more. The breakfast was ok - I just hate the disposable plates and cutlery.

Now I know this was Manhatten, but charging $450 for the room was still OTT. It's the most I've ever paid for a very average room that smelled like wee.

Room Tip: Avoid the front facing rooms.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City Fifth Ave, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear Jonsey52,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. We are pleased you found our staff helpful. I apologize for the inconvenience and issues you had with check-in and the condition of your room. We will use your comments to improve our efforts. We all hope to have an opportunity to provide you with a great experience at our hotel on your next visit.

To better assist you on your next stay, please do not hesitate to approach the manager on duty.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
bangalore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I travelled alone in NYC this time. Chose this hotel purely for its location as I wanted to explore on foot. Though the rooms were OK, I found that the front desk had no clue whatsoever about what the city had to offer. The lifts were also on the slower side....

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed for 1nite in city using priority points. Location was great, midway between 5th&6th. A quick walk to Time square, central park, MoMA, Rockefeller center, & subway. Parking one block away. Just be aware it's small (lobby, brkfst area, rooms, bed (only 6'), & elevators. But clean and this is Manhattan so We'll be back. Very nice staff.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
White Plains, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

We have stayed in a lot of Holiday Inn Express properties, mostly because I find the beds/sheets/linens are consistent property to property (comfortable!) and I love the free hot breakfast. I was concerned that in NYC I would run into problems I hear are consistent with many budget friendly hotels (loud street noise, cramped rundown outdated rooms, rude staff, having to pay for everything - breakfast/wifi).

I was so pleased that none of this true at this property!! The staff were nothing but wonderful and accommodating. Our room, albeit small (you will find this in EVERY hotel room in this city, you want a big spacious room, splurge for a $700/night suite somewhere), was spotless, modern, and the beds were comfortable. We had zero street noise, in fact, I could not even hear anyone in any of the neighboring rooms. Wifi is free and high quality (I noted that in a lot of other hotels you must pay for wifi).

Breakfast was hot (eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits, pancakes, cold/hot cereal, fruit and yogurt), and the staff worked tirelessly to make sure everything was stocked. The breakfast area is tight, but they have done an excellent job arranging the seating, and my husband and I never had to wait to sit down. Yes people are conversing amongst themselves.... you want a quiet private breakfast, either take it to your room (via the convenient and readily available trays) or go buy it yourself in a restaurant. Good luck finding a free breakfast of this quality at this room price somewhere else.

There were some complaints made by other reviewers, but really I feel they are unwarranted and the writers had a ridiculous notion of what to expect from a hotel in NYC. For the price, and being 1 block off of the center of Times Square, and within walking distance of Rockefellar Plaza, The Theatre District, ect..... this cannot be beat!

Room Tip: Try a lamb gyro from the Kwik Cart on the corner of 46th and 5th (silver cart with a simple green si...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I booked my room the day I wanted it and I was able to get a room with no problem. It was a basic room but I was still very pleased. Excellent bathroom facilities and a very comfortable bed. The TV was great too.
The staff were very helpful and informed me of some of the services that they offered that I would find help full.
The location is perfect for someone whos knowledge of the city is limited. It is only two blocks from Times Square.
Next time I visit NYC this is where I will be staying.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

We stayed 2 nights and found this hotel was all we needed. It is an easy walk to Times Square and the Theater District. The rooms are small, but in good repair, clean and well-planned. The bathroom works well, but has only a shower. We found the beds comfortable, the views are of nearby buildings. The staff was knowledgeable, friendly and very helpful. They check bags on your last day which is a big help. The free breakfast is typical Holiday Inn Express, but makes it easier to get started on a busy day. Two complaints were that the lobby eating area was really too small for the large breakfast crowd and the "Business Center" is only two older computers next to a vending machines in the basement and it is very hot and stuffy in the small space.

Room Tip: If you plan to spend the day in NYC after you check out, you can leave your bags at at the hotel and...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express New York City Fifth Ave? Share your experiences!