“Great price, great location!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Broadway Rooms

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Broadway Rooms
337 West 55th Street, (between 8th and 9th Avenue), New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
“Great price, great location!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012 via mobile

Its not the first time im staying in a hostel and i really liked this one.
This place has a very friendly and helpful staff and the location is just great!!! Only 5 minutes walking distance to times square, 5th avenue, central park or the subway station.
The rooms are clean and very creative themed.
There is even a commune kitchen and microwave you can use!!! Awesome!

• Stayed January 2012

108 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

After being unable to extend my stay in a more expensive studio aprtment in W28th Street, I stayed at Broadway Rooms for 2 nights in a private room during November 2011. Only paid $100 per night and 55th Street location was good. While the rooms are quite old, this is covered up by the Boadway show themed artwork. Found the place fairly quiet and staff at front desk quite friendly. Private room even had a mini refrigerator which is handy if you have some chilled drinks.
Down side was that the shared bath/shower could have done with a more regular clean - typical of bathroom facilities in a hostel type facility. Also, the very large bed was without legs, so you are practically sleeping on the ground and lifting your head straight up to watch television, and the pillow was pretty much dead flat.

Lastly, I did notice a mouse trap on the ground and a mouse hole in the wall behind the bed. Didn't see or hear anything until the last day when I starting packing and noticed that something had eaten into my bag of chocolates which was in my open suitcase on the floor (room had no elevated place or stand to put my suitcase on). Since I didn't see any mouse, I thought, oh well and packed the suitcase. When I got to my Boston Hotel that same night, to my surprise, a little mouse jumped out of my suitcase. Seems he or she had decided to come along with me. If you are going to save some money on NYC accommodations and stay at Broadway Rooms, then do not leave any evidence of food around in your room and keep your suitcase closed at all times.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011 via mobile

It's very special hostel with interesting rooms. It's cleaniness is fine. u can walk to time square from here and not too noisy. I tkink the price is little higher than what u get.

• Stayed October 2011
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

This was my first time staying in a hostel and as I was on my own in New York City I was naturally feeling nervous! I booked a 7 people shared dorm and before I confirmed this I called the hostel directly and spoke to a lovely lady who assured me that the price quoted was what I was going to pay and did include taxes.

I arrived slightly later than I said I was going too, due to a mix up with my pick up, but this was fine. Upon check in I had to sign a disclaimer that had a list of house rules and that if I checked out any later than 11am they would keep my $20 key deposit.

As I was in a dorm and not a private room, he hostel was actually a block away. A nice man walked me around and showed me to my room which was spacious, set out over 2 floors and had a kitchen and a bathroom. Everything was clean and I was provided with a clean towel and a clean set of bed sheets.

The location was a huge plus and was the reason I booked the hostel. It was 4 blocks from Central Park and Columbus Circle which provides great links to the rest of the city, and only 10 or so blocks from Times Square. I felt incredibly safe and was lucky enough to be sharing a room with some lovely people.

The only downside was the price. I paid $85 a night and ended up sleeping on a sofa bed, which happened to be so uncomfortable and gave me horrible back pain, while the person next to me had a double 4 poster bed! Hardly seems far when we were paying the same but I can't complain as I hardly spent anytime there.

If I were to return to NYC I would most definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

I almost feel bad writing this because the staff all seemed like decent people, and there were no mishaps or anything. But unless you genuinely don't care that there are: mousedroppings all over the room, rusted broken bits of mousetraps on the windowsill, mice crawling on and under the sofa and kitchen in the communal TV room, holes in the plaster of the room, filth along the walls, surfaces and skirtingboards, dirty beds, shared bathroom where the shower is long-term busted into the wall & no bathplugs so you have to sit in the bath and splash water from the tap onto yourself as best you can, broken lights and sockets on the floor of the room, duct tape over the windows to hold the smashed pieces together, a top-floor room with no fire-escape and a sign on the inside of the door that says "WARNING: THIS IS A FLAMMABLE BUILDING (NOT-FIRE-PROOF)" then tells you that if there's a fire you have no recourse but to put a wet towel under the door and pray for rescue, squished bugs on the walls, pretty steep room costs all together... well, then I wouldn't recommend it. If you are cool with that, the address is conveniently located for Midtown Manhattan. And trust me, you'll want to spend as much time out of your room as you possibly can. I wish I had never stayed there. It really was horrible, and for $180 a night, it felt pretty traumatic on the wallet. Still, I know NY isn't cheap, so the cost isn't a major criticism. And like I say, the staff were nice. They also can lend you a PAYG US mobile phone for free while you're there, which is a sweet touch to save on calls in town. But I just can't see past the disgusting nature of the room and building. I've slept in phoneboxes in the past, and they've been cleaner and safer than this.

Room Tip: Umm, choose another hostel.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Porto, Portugal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

He started badly as we had booked an apartment with half a year in advance and was not available when we arrived so we had to stay in 2 double bedrooms with a bathroom for several apartments but were unable to resolve the situation and even to explain or to return money because the value of the rooms was lower. We changed the second day which was bad because of the bags, the apartment was better but it was far to go have breakfast or go to the internet and saw a rat in the kitchen.

Room Tip: go only to the apartments...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011 via mobile

Pro:
-Good location
-Fair price
-Good for SOLO budget-savvy traveler

Con:
-My towel stinks, not clean.
-No Internet in this apartment.
-It's actually NOT THAT CHEAP if you find good deals. Staying in a 8 people dorm costs us 130 a night, but when we checked out we checked in a REAL HOTEL at the same area, 150 a night, super clean, free Internet. YOU just have to be smart&lucky and compare the good deals online! (but for solo travelers this one does not apply)
-They are painting the hallway, it has a very strong smell.
-The webpage said the breakfast is free. We forgot to ask when we checked in. Since we stay in another apt we didn't bother to walk back and ask. But when we actually asked, the front desk said the breakfast is buy one get one the next day.

• Stayed July 2011

Been to Broadway Rooms? Share your experiences!