“Choose this hotel for practicality in New York City” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn by Marriott Times Square New York

Save Saved
You added Residence Inn by Marriott Times Square New York to your Saves list
Residence Inn by Marriott Times Square New York
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1033 Avenue of the Americas, New York City, NY 10018 (Garment District)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #102 of 453 Hotels in New York City
“Choose this hotel for practicality in New York City”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This hotel is in a great location! The staff is super friendly and very helpful from the front desk to the servers at breakfast. Our room was large with a beautiful view of the empire state building. It was very clean and everything was in working order. The breakfasts are delicious and they used china plates instead of disposable..
The sofa bed was not good enough to sleep on even though they had recently put in new mattresses. I highly recommend getting two beds instead of a king and a pull out. Also, the line at breakfast is very long. You don't need to wait in the line at first. Go into the breakfast room and choose the drinks/cold cereals/ oatmeal or fruit and yogurt. Then, when the line goes down, wait for the hot food. You can't carry everything at once so it is easier to head on in and choose the stations without the lines. This is a great hotel for pets, they are treated very well!
The elevators are the biggest problem. They were all working but you can wait a long time and then they are often full. Ask for a higher floor so you have a better view and can guarantee to get on an elevator when it eventually arrives!
We enjoyed this hotel and would definitely stay again. Thanks Marriott!

Room Tip: high floor with a view of the Empire State building!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Everything about this hotel was good. However, I was totally annoyed by the lack of counter space in the bathroom (that may just be me). There was only a couple of inches on each side of the sink. There was a very small corner shelf, with about 5 shelves, across the room by the door. The bathroom itself was a good size, and the towels were over-sized.

It was nice to have a full sized refrigerator/freezer, microwave, coffee maker & dishwasher in the room. The elevators were reasonably quick. Housekeeping did a great job.

The complimentary breakfast buffet was one of the best I've ever seen...breakfast burritos, waffles, pancakes, muffins, eggs, bagels, fruit, cereal etc.

They had a managers reception a couple of times during the week. We only went once to the BBQ one night, but it was only hot dogs and mediocre beans. No drinks.

Room Tip: Room 1108 had a nice view of the Empire State Building
Green Features: Didn't see any recycling for paper or cans/bottles. They did have hand tags regarding the re-use of towels. Even though we hung up our towels to be re-used, it appeared that they gave us clean ones every day.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Booked this hotel as my extended family had booked it. It was above our price range but we wanted the convenience of all being at the same property. The front desk staff were super friendly and helpful, especially Damian. The restaurant recommendation by the other fellow for Becco restaurant was the best food we ate in NYC. Thanks heaps.

We were allocated a room on the 30th floor. The bed was super comfy. Room looked at Empire State which was illuminated red white and blue for Bastille Day. Handy to have a decent size fridge, microwave etc as the food in the US is dire. Proximity to the tourist hot spots was easy.
Housekeeping standards were excellent. Paul Mitchell hair products were an unexpected touch. New fluffy towels. Iron and ironing board in room. We didn't have to call down to Reception for anything which was fantastic.

The deli on the corner provided fresh fruit, salads, beers and all the goodies you need. The hotel bar was OK but the happy hour didn't materialise??? Drinks were super expensive. 3 G&Ts and a beer were $65. Breakfast was included and is the same sweet sugary fare as is offered wherever you go in the US - powdered scrambled eggs, sweet pastries/pancakes, softdrinks, sweet juices, tinned fruit, sweetened bread, sweet cereals complimented by weak coffee. But the staff were welcoming and super friendly.

We did get a shock as there was a yellow lab in the lift one day - (not an assistance dog). This is a pet friendly hotel. $70 in a taxi from JFK. The Big Bus leaves from the corner a couple of blocks away. Bryant Park is the closest subway stop. The accessories shop next to the hotel is awesome. Good prices and a fantastic range of costume jewellery, bags, glasses etc.

I would recommend this property, especially if you were taking your kids to NYC.

Room Tip: 3004 was great. Family had 610 which seemed a little smaller??
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We booked a room here with the intention of walking everywhere we wanted to go and it worked out perfectly! We saw a show on Broadway on Sunday night and wanted to go to a couple of museums the next day but discovered most places are closed on Monday. The valet parking was 56 dollars for 24 hours, but we went to the 9/11 exhibit before going to the hotel and paid 21 dollars to park less than three hours so we didn't feel like we were being ripped off.
Breakfast on the 3rd floor was great; everything you might want, hot or cold.
The kitchenette had enough dishes and silverware that we could enjoy eating the food from our cooler in our room. Everything was clean, the bed was comfortable, and the view was great!

Room Tip: Ask for a high room with a view.
Green Features: We stayed there one night so couldn't ask that our towels be re-used.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I stayed here over Memorial Day weekend (23 – 26 May 2014) and had a great stay during my visit. I would certainly stay here again and recommend it to anyone.

- Hotel: I chose this hotel because of its amenities (kitchenette), location and price. The hotel is some 30 stories tall and the lobby is quite small; but considering the location, that’s probably quite common. The lobby has a front desk, a small sitting area and a small ‘market’ area that has water, soda, wine, snacks, etc. As others have commented, the elevators are slow, but they get you to where you are going…and are better than walking, in my opinion. The entire second floor of the hotel is the restaurant, bar and open seating area. It’s a really nice spot. I did not eat at the restaurant, but I did have drinks at the bar one afternoon. There is also a pool table and several televisions near the bar. On the other side of the room (away from the bar) there is a huge sitting area…almost resembling a library. Very quiet and spacious with oversized chairs and a few tables here and there. The restaurant is to the back of the room and is where breakfast is served. There is also a workout room and a guest laundry. I didn’t use either during my stay. Finally, one thing to note: After midnight, or so, the hotel locks the doors and you have to use your room key to get in the front door. Some might see that as annoying, but I saw it as a great security precaution.

-Rooms: My room had a small kitchenette at the entryway, a bathroom and bedroom area. The kitchenette had a full-size fridge (or at least dorm-room sized), microwave, coffee pot sink, dish washer as well as dishes, drinking and coffee cups and utensils. The bathroom was essentially a standard bathroom; I don’t recall anything special. The bedroom area did have a king-sized bed, a sofa with a small coffee table, flat screen TV and a small table with chairs for two. The table would be big enough for two to eat at or serves as a laptop space. Aside from that, the rooms are pretty standard. They weren’t as big as some rooms I’ve stayed in, but they are actually pretty good-sized…bigger than I was expecting. The reason behind staying in a hotel with a small kitchenette is the fridge and the coffee pot. Love ice cold water or Gatorade as soon as I wake up in the morning; hate putting on my slippers and ball cap, searching for twelve dollars in change and running down the hallway to get it. Love several cups of fresh coffee in the morning before I present myself to the world; hate ordering it from room service for nine dollars, putting on slippers and ball cap, waiting….still waiting… and only getting about two-and-a-half cups out of the carafe.

- Staff: Once again, the staff was great. I’ll start by saying that I didn’t check into the hotel until almost 11pm on Thursday night. I was quite tired. As soon as I walked in, I was greeted by a wonderful young lady who was quick to ask how my trip was, get my room key ready and inform me that she had moved me to a room with a view of the empire state building. I had a few questions for her, as I normally do when I check-in somewhere new, and she answered each one patiently. She also informed me that there was a 24 hour market one block away where I was able to get some staples before settling in for the evening. Before I departed, she equipped me with a complimentary small bottle of wine. I am rarely greeted at hotels in that fashion. What a way to be welcomed to NYC. There was generally another employee in the lobby at all times willing to help with the elevator door, offer directions and answer questions about the subway system, the bus system and the best transportation back and forth to the airport. Finally, when I checked out of the hotel, I still had a subway pass that was good for another three days and a coupon book with some discounted tickets (CityPass…look into it) that I left with the front desk folks as a way of saying ‘thank you’ for their hospitality.

- Location: Another reason I selected this hotel was its location. The hotel is located at the corner of 39th and 6th (Avenue of the America’s). Bryant Park is one block north on 6th and is a Metro (subway) stop for certain lines (the ones I used the most). Macy’s is about four block south; Empire State building is eight blocks south, Union Station is 5 blocks north and Time Square is about seven blocks north. The hotel is very centrally located to many of the tourist attractions.

- LGA Transfer and other travel stuff: I’m including this section in my review because this is the area that I spent the most time ensuring I understood. [There is another person on Trip Advisor that says he’s a retired transit cop (GreenWhiteBlue is his moniker and his series is ‘The idiot’s guide to the subway’) and I found his two or three part series article the most helpful.] First was my transportation to and from LaGuardia. I was going to take the subway to and from, but I was a little confused as to what terminal the Metro Pass machine was located in. In the end, I ended up making on-line reservations on the NYC Transporter bus. I was able to reserve my ticket for about $23. LGA has an area outside of baggage claim where the NYC Transporter picks up. It probably took us 45 minutes to get into downtown…if that. They dropped me off at Bryant Park. I only had to walk a block to get to the hotel. I will say apparently they’ve started making rigid-frame busses because you could feel every bump. But it was fast and efficient. I went to Bryant Park station the next morning and purchased the one week pass for $39. As I mentioned earlier, I was only there for a few days, didn’t want the hassle of purchasing each trip or day and had already decided to hand the card off to someone who could use it when I left. Grab a subway map, ensure you are on the right line (listed at the entry to every subway stop) and take off. In almost all of the subways I rode, there is a map with a little lit bulb that shows all the stops on that line. As you approach a stop, the light blinks. When you leave the stop, the light goes out and you know the direction you are headed and how many more stops to yours. The worst case scenario is you might head in the wrong direction the first time or when you come up at your destination you may walk a block or two in the wrong direction, but overall it was a great experience. No trouble on the subways at all. There are performers (dancers, beggars and singers on my trip) but no hostility toward anyone and the singers had amazing harmony. Finally, on the way back to the airport, I took a cab. When I walked out of the hotel, there were a number of them parked right in front, just waiting. It only cost me about $28 dollars and was much faster…partly because there was very little traffic as it was Memorial Day.

Room Tip: I stayed in a south-facing room with views of Empire State.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Duncan, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Booked two rooms for our large family with kids. This place is a great value especially if you travel with kids. The rooms are large and worked well for our family. There is one significant drawback to this hotel: elevators for breakfast. We left our room for breakfast and waited and waited to get to the third floor. The breakfast floor was more crowded than time square. Only part of my family made it through the line and into the food area before it was closed down. Waste of time, and limits what we see as a great value of the stay, starting out the kids with a good breakfast. This hotel has a great location with large rooms, but this breakfast issue is a big one for me. They need to rethink this breakfast offering, and do something different. Even after we got our food, no open seat to eat! They could add seating or something to help. This made for an unnecessarily hectic and dissatisfying start to our day. By the last day, we stopped trying and found other options, but even if you skip the chaos of the third floor, you still have to wait and wait for elevator service.

Stayed July 2014
Christina V, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Times Square New York, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Hello Bradford L,
Thank you for reviewing my hotel of your family experience with us here In New York City! It is great to hear our spacious rooms worked well for your family’s stay! I am sorry to hear that the elevators were running slow during the breakfast hours. We like to inform our guest that on the weekends during the breakfast hours to allow 10-15 minutes for the elevators due to high demands. The complimentary breakfast buffet is my favorite and I always suggest to stop by and check it out! We hope to see you on your next trip to NYC!
Ashley Deichert
Guest Relations Manager
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

We love everything about this hotel - the location (midtown Manhattan, near Times Square, Bryant Park and Macy's), room size (all rooms have a sleeper sofa and full-sized fridge), bed (comfy - with one exception - see below), and most of all, AWESOME staff. Prior to our stay, I had emailed that we would be there over our daughter's 10th birthday, and we found chocolate chip cookies and milk in our room the night of her birthday. That gesture made our daughter (and us!) feel so special. Christina V at the front desk is the best and needs to be recognized for her ability to make all guests feel welcome.

I have one minor complaint, but I'm not blaming on it on the hotel, as it seems to be a new thing all Marriotts are doing. One of the sheets on the bed was not soft at all - it was downright crinkly. I've seen other reviews of different Marriott locations so maybe it's a brand-wide thing. We pushed it out of the way and were much happier.

Green Features: Rooms are cleaned everyday, but the towels and bedding are not necessarily replaced. I applaud Marriott's efforts to help the environment. No one washes their sheets every day at home - so why should a hotel?
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Residence Inn by Marriott Times Square New York? Share your experiences!