“Not Great for Business Travel” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 15%
Ranked #280 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Boston
“Not Great for Business Travel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2009

This was not my favorite Marriott Hotel. On the plus side, It has a great mid-town location on the corner of Lexington and 57, walking distance from major tourist attractions. The zen bathroom with double-size stall shower was fabulous. The bed and the linens were quite nice, which is standard for the Marriott. Now for the negative. My visit to the restaurant was a disaster. The service was both arrogant and incompetent - a particularly horrible combination. When I complained to Marriott management, they distanced themselves, telling me that they just leased the space to the restaurant and that they have had other complaints. Due to my complaint the restaurant manager called me and offered me a coupon for another visit. I declined, because who wants to waste a meal in NYC at a substandard restaurant? She insisted, took my address, and several months later has yet to send me the coupon. Adding insult to injury, as they say. The concierge lounge takes the minimalist approach to food, with a small plate of sliced fruit, a few muffins here, tiny pitchers of milk. A lady helping herself to some of the fruit worried there wouldn't be enough for other guests.
The decor may strike some as wacky. The hotel isn't consistent and doesn't have a decent restaurant, so it isn't great for business travel where you may arrive late and just want service. If you're staying here as a tourist it may be a better bet because of the proximity to the attractions and because you are less likely to use the restaurant or concierge lounge. For business travel I prefer the Marriott Eastside a few blocks away.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Irvine, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

We loved Hotel 57. The hotel is located close to the subway and the major attractions. We were within walking distance to great shopping and Central Park. The staff went out of their way to make sure everything was perfect, including a free room upgrade. The doorman was the best - he always knew great places to go and the easiest way to get to our destination. Our room was always spotless and the beds were really comfortable. I would recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

We just came back from NYC and a stay at this hotel. While the rooms are small, at least the ones they give you if you get a discount price, they are very nicely appointed. The rooms are modern, with nice storage and bathrooms. There's a large TV, a coffee maker and a very modern bathroom.
Our only issue was that the AC in our room didn't work and it was quite stuffy because the windows don't open. Instead of immediately solving the problem by switching rooms we went through engineers coming 3 times to fix it. On the third try the next day, they finally decided we needed another room. My sense is if we'd booked a full price room with them we would have been switched earlier.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Tenerife
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

We stayed in this hotel back in April 2007 and I loved it "from head to toe".

I had read some negative reviews before going to New York, so was quite scared. But the 57 Hotel was a fantastic choise.

Room: Really clean, comfortable, very well designed/decorated, fantastic bathroom, huge closet, ironer, TV, hair dryer, music player, huge bed. It was on the 14th floor and we had views to 57th street. No noise at all, just some random police car/ambulance.

Staff: really nice. I had a call one night saying "ops.. wrong room" but that's all. The cleaning was perfect too.

Location: Just perfect. 2 blocks away from 59th Street station (line 5 and 6, which are like the perfect lines to go up and downtown), on the most fashionable street after the 5th Avenue and with not one, but two Starbucks on the same block.

The day we left, I gave 10$ to the door man and he was quite impressed (I don't think it was that much anyway) so he told me "Next time you come, I'll put the red carpet for you" hehehe.

I spent one week on the city and this hotel was, like the title say, the perfect choise. Not very cheap, that's true, but not too expensive either. Something in between. I'd repeat for sure, but next time I think I'll rent a flat for 1-2 weeks so I can spend more days over there.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

We just spent two nights at this property and cannot wait to return. Bravo to Marriott for breaking out of their mold and opening this chic boutique city hotel. The Renaissance Hotel 57 is unlike any other Marriott we have ever experienced. It is hip, trendy, upbeat and located in an ideal location. Our room was small, but so are most apartments in Manhattan and staying here was like living in NYC for a few days.
Decor was minimalistic but modern and edgy, service was outstanding with doormen, and bellmen and concierge greeting you with gusto and helping in every respect. Our room had a small terrace, which in and of itself, is a small luxury in NYC. Food was good and ambiance chic in the resturant. The location was amazing, we were able to walk to everything or it was a quick cab ride away. New concierge lounge had just opened and offered a nice array of foods and had a very interesting decor.
This hotel is not for guests who are anticipating the usual Renaissance stay. It is small and inviting and very NYC. Gone is the "Marriott carpeting and drapes" and in it's place cool seating and warm lighting and artistic glass. You won't find a big check in desk when you walk in, instead there are small kiosks where you are checked in and directed to an elevator to the main lobby and to the room elevators. This hotel is for guests like us, who are ready for an interesting city stay and instead of booking an independent small hotel or a W Hotel can now happily book a Marriott property and get and redeem points. We enjoyed our stay very much and were very impressed with the interesting differences between this hotel and traditional city Marriott Hotels.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

What can we say but excellent customer service, very accomodating from hotel staff. Great location, walking distance to great stores. Close to public transaportation. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone that is visiting New York. Kudo's to Jay the doorman he was GREAT....always working with a smile on his face...he deserves a raise. Hotel 57 staff was FABULOUS......enjoyable, enjoyable stay. First time my husband wasn't ready to go home after a couple of days.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
US
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

I really enjoyed this hotel! It is much nicer than many other places in the same 3 star range.

Pros:
- Very clean
- Comfortable bed
- Good storage area for the space
- Nice bathroom
- Excellent location

Cons:
- Price (almost $300/night)
- Layout of the bed
- Just skip the breakfast (they finally told me it was free on the last day, but service was ridiculous and a waste of time)

Overall, it's a great hotel but make sure you look for a good rate. I got stuck last minute and had to pay a fortune. Very cosy feeling and great location. Only a few minutes to Central Park and 5th Ave. Nobu is literally right down the street. (although for better prices and sushi just as good head to Times Square - "Blue Fin.") I think I'd like to stay a little further down next time, the walk from Times Square/Midtown area was too long after a long night.

My ONLY complaint (and I am not easily bothered by room size I swear!) is the bed layout. It has VERY sharp corners and the very first night I banged into the edge. I have never had such a bruise that was there for literally weeks. Kind of hard to move around and I am quite small as is my fiance. A squeeze for sure, and if you are larger it may be near impossible.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple

Been to Renaissance New York Hotel 57? Share your experiences!