“I'll be back!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #265 of 459 Hotels in New York City
NorCal
“I'll be back!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

We stayed at the renaissance 57 for one night. The staff were very polite and friendly, including person checking us in, valet, and just random staff throughout the hotel. We were able to check in about 2 hours early, which was a nice surprise. We had a pleasant conversation with one of the room attendants in the elevator. She seemed to be happy, joking around with us and such, which tells me this likely a good place to work! The valet is located inside the hotel, so we actually had to go in and figure out how to take care of our car. The room we were given was small, but had some great qualities, and made good use of the space. The room was elegantly designed and was modern. The bed had accent lighting (cool!) and was very comfortable as most Marriott properties. There was enough closet space to store two duffle bags (and more) and hang clothes as needed. The room came with an ironing board, iron, hair dryer and a safe, which was a pleasant surprise, as not all NYC hotels we have stayed in have had these items. The TV was large and worked flawlessly. The bathroom was quite large for NYC standards and again was nicely designed and modern. The sink is an above countertop sink made of stone with modern fixtures, which was nice and toilet is wall mounted with a very powerful push button flush. Bathroom floor was tiled nicely. Shower was similarly tiled nicely and the shower head was great with good pressure on the 8th floor. We didn't have a chance to check out the bar/restaurant area due to our short stay in the city, but we did walk by it a few times in the evening and it seemed like a chill place to hang. The bar area seemed to have a upscale club like feel, especially with the dance remix music that was being played, which is right up my alley. We didn't have a chance to check out the rooftop area, but we did hear good things. All in all, this gets 4 of 5. If the rooms were a tiny bit larger and the valet was located outside the hotel, as opposed to inside, this would have been a perfect stay. Given all that, I will definitely be back. The location is ideal (close to all the touristy places and shopping). The staff are the friendliest I have encountered on my 10+ stays in NYC, and the vibe of this hotel is exactly what I am looking for in a hotel stay. Highly recommend this place to young couples!

Room Tip: They have varying sizes of rooms. Suggest to book a larger room for comfort.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Boucherville, Quebec, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Renaissance in September for the U.S. Open. Very nice hotel, clean updated room, friendly staff, nice ambiance to grab a bite and drink at the restaurant. Also great roof top patio with sofas for a drink. Very easy access to subway to go to U.S. Open. Central Park just around the corner, great walk to start the day. Many restaurants in the area, shopping, a few nice places for a quick breakfast. Looking forward to my next visit in May to celebrate 10th wedding anniversary.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

We were only in NYC for 1 night so this was a great stay. The price was reasonable for NYC and the location was very convenient. Note that rooms are much smaller than you would expect for a Marriott hotel, but considering this is NYC I should have expected that. And don't get me wrong the room did not feel cramped.

Pro:
-It was very clean and comfortable.
-The staff was very nice

Cons:
-No cable TV, just regular broadcasting (ABS, CBS, etc) - which was fine, like I said we were only there for 1 night. Also, there's so much to do in NYC you really shouldn't be sitting in front of the TV :)
-The valet parking fee is $55 - but maybe that's more reasonable that I realize (?)

All in all i would definitely say here again

Room Tip: If you are valeting your car, give them 20 minutes advance notice so that they can pull up your car...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

This hotel was very adequate for our stay in NYC. The staff was very helpful and courteous. The location is close enough to everything and you don't feel like you are in a zoo when you walk outside like you do in times square.

The rooms are very small. Guess that's fairly typical in NY, but it was cramped

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
RenaissanceNYHotel57, General Manager at Renaissance New York Hotel 57, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
We hope to welcome you back to demonstrate the qualities of the Renaissance hotel that you expected. Our rooms are cozy but hopefully our service and location made up for that. If I can ever personally assist you with your next visit please feel free to contact me directly at manny.rappenecker@renaissancehotels.com.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

We were pleasantly surprised by this hotel. We have read mixed reviews so were not sure what to expect! Our room was a recently renovated room on the 6th floor and was small (as NY hotel rooms tend to be) but clean and very comfortable. The bathroom was nice, the bed was super comfortable and the whole room felt very homely. Being a boutique hotel it was lovely not to have to wait a long time for the life, check in, etc, the gym was always lovely and quiet. The best thing about this hotel is the great location (right next to Bloomingdales) and the AMAZING staff. They were sooooo friendly, every time we left or entered the hotel they would greet us and ask how we were and when we needed assistance they were always happy to help! Opia, the hotel restaurant, also offers some delicious and very reasonably priced food. I will happily stay here again and will recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: I had a renovated room which was very nicely done
Concord,MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I stayed last time business took me to the Upper East Side at the Marriott Lex (my review was posted FEB 2014) at the stay was disappointing in the extreme.

I noted that there was a Rennaisance at 57th & LEX (just a few block further north than the Marriott Lex) and rather than try the "W" hotel nearby or The Waldorf, I thought I would give Marriott one more try in NYC (I do love my points). I was not disappointed and actually pleasantly surprised. From the moment I walked into the the very funky (and nice) ground floor, where a gal came out from behind the kiosk to greet me (sorry Marriott I did not get her name but this was the late afternoon of 4 MAR 2014) it all seemed right.
The room (upgrade) was very EURO- not over the top but solid with a small built in desk and a small built in wardrobe. My upgrade room (thank you Marriott Gold) was on the fourth Floor- which was noisy- but as a frequent traveler I always pack ear plugs so sound usually don't bother me- and they did not this visit.
The lounge Bar is funky and nice- great service- the gals were all wearing Mardi Gras masks and my server (once again I did not get his name was super ). I ate with friend off property.
The work out room is fine. Lounge = to Marriott- and nice work spaces in the bar where I am currently typing this.
Overall it is what I expect of a Marriott- and very different in terms of decor and experience (and that is a compliment). I recommend this to all Marriott point hounds- and actually to anyone who is working or vacationing on the upper East Side of NYC. Well Done MARRIOT!

Room Tip: I wear ear plugs- but the noise on the lower levels (I was on the fourth floor) was high as is typic...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your post about your fantastic stay at the Renaissance New York Hotel 57! We pride ourselves on providing our customers with the ultimate New York experience and are thankful to be able to interact with such kind and generous guests. We are happy that you found our hotel to be such an ideal spot. Thanks for taking the time to share this review!
Wolcott, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

I have stayed in many hotels in the New York area, this hotel is merely just another face in the crowd. I booked a queen room and was surprised by how small the bed appeared. I went to the front desk to discuss the possibility of an upgrade and I thought the front desk attendant was a little rude, but I suppose that is New York. Our upgraded room was a typical king. The room was not spotless. The bathroom had some hairs in the bathtub and the carpet looked like it hadn't been vacuumed but we were only there for one night. I would utilize this hotel again, but only if the Hilton had no rooms available first. Don't get me wrong, this is not a terrible hotel, it is just not my favorite amongst those I have stayed in while visiting the city.

Room Tip: Just request the King bed and be done with it unless you want to sleep in a broom closet.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
RenaissanceNYHotel57, General Manager at Renaissance New York Hotel 57, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We are saddened to learn that your stay did not live up to your expectations. Your feedback about the level of customer service has been shared with our team. Our housekeeping staff also works to provide clean and comfortable rooms so, we will be sure to let them know about your feedback and will take necessary steps to refine our service. We continuously strive to provide excellent service and accommodations to each of our guests. We sincerely hope to welcome you back in the future.

Been to Renaissance New York Hotel 57? Share your experiences!