“Ok business stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #280 of 463 Hotels in New York City
minnesota
“Ok business stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I spent 2 nights here on business trip. Overall, it was a good experience given the room rate. The rooms were clean but small. Comfortable bed and nice bath products. Quiet but noisy air conditioner. The room and hotel weren't as business friendly as I like ( the desk was small and crammed in the corner; the hotel fax machine wasn't working properly so I wasn't getting all that I needed). Probably wont stay here again on business, but would consider it for weekend trip to city.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This hotel is very cool, very New York. The bar gets crazy at night and can be a little overwhelming when you enter the lobby from downstairs. The hotel is very well decorated and clean. The valet is a train wreck, so if possible avoid parking a car. This is a great boutique that is part of the Marriott properties. It is a bit pricey and rates tend to increase quickly. Although the restaurant is nothing special and not worth a stop, I would definitely stay at the hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, farther away from the craziness of the bar.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We picked it for the location, upper east side; 2 blocks from the 6, few blocks from Central Park, reasonably priced for NYC, it all sounded so good. When we arrived, we tried to go out on the terrace but the door wouldn't open, why? Because they were using the terrace for storage - a few chairs, a dirty drink trolly and some cushions were all stacked on the terrace that we paid an extra $100 a night for! When it was working (intermittent outages), the AC constantly leaked outside our door the entire 4 days, the carpet was soaked and there always towels in the hallway trying to soak it up. The utility closet door across the hall was never closed, so we had that view every day coming and going (see picture). The concierge lounge breakfast was nice, but not offered on the weekends. We were given a coupon for breakfast; the menu? Fruit and oatmeal. Ok, I'll be healthy; I'll have that...."no, it's fruit OR oatmeal, not both". Ok, oatmeal then; it was inedible. Next day I had the fruit, very nice. The fridge in the lounge had water, but nothing else. When we went to the business center to print our boarding passes - closed, with the ceiling ripped down. We've traveled all over the world and have the appropriate expectation for the hotel and country we're staying in; for a Renaissance, in NYC, at $350 a night - this was a complete let down. Restaurant staff was hit or miss at best (OJ please...it never came. English Muffin please...I got a bagel, etc.). The hotel staff was pleasant and very free with coupons to "buy their way out of the issues", at least they were trying, and as a result we enjoyed a free evening cocktail on the 17th floor roof terrace, very nice. I'm sure if they get the property together, it will be worthwhile, but for now, I have to think there are better options very nearby.

Room Tip: 17th floor is nice and on same level as roof terrace bar, some rooms have terraces.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
RenaissanceNYHotel57, General Manager at Renaissance New York Hotel 57, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
We do apologize for the experience that you recently had at Hotel 57 as that is not typical of most guest's stays. Rest assured that we will follow up with the items that you listed to ensure that future guests do not experience the same situation. If there is anything that I can do for you please do not hesitate to let me know.
London, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

RNY Hotel 57 is a terrific boutique hotel in Manhattan. We experienced friendly and helpful staff and had a clean and efficient room. The location was great...close to Central Park, Bloomingdales and subway stops. The rooftop terrace on the 17th floor offered amazing views and comfy chairs to lounge in and enjoy a cocktail. We will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
RenaissanceNYHotel57, General Manager at Renaissance New York Hotel 57, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thanks for your posting and thrilled that you enjoyed your time with us. I was happy to read that you discovered our rooftop terrace, it is a true gem to have. If you are a "Sex and the City" fan - the opening credit with the Chrysler Building was actually filmed from our rooftop!
Mumbai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

This is a cute yet classy Hotel tucked between Lexington & 57th street not the best location but nice!
The Hotel is located with great resturants around so there is a variety.
The Rooms & bathrooms are very tastefully done & very up to date & of course extreamly comfortable.
The staff friendly & helpful. The Rooms had an electronic cubby that had connections for almost any device possible & yes a sound dock for the Iphone!
The towels very fluffy & soft the room amenities very good quality, The bed linen very trendy & soft (high thread count)
This Hotel has a roof top Bar which is fantastic the Bartender very good he makes the most fabolous drinks. The service up there par excellance! Its pretty awesome to be sitting on a open roof top bar in the bustling city of Manhattan sipping a well made drink. I was told that they were planning on having a typical NY street Truck Co do their catering on the Roof top cant wait for that to happen I know it would be a Hit!
This is a great Hotel to stay at will most certainly visit again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

One night stay at this boutique hotel while on business trip. Hotel lobby and rooms very dark. Wasn't crazy about the limited bathroom countertop, but the bed was extremely comfortable. Ordered room service and received the wrong order, but my plans didn't allow time to wait for corrected order. I travel to NY on business 4 - 5 times a year so I'm familiar with the typical space allotment in a NY hotel, a boutique one at that. Still, was not my favorite Marriott/Renaissance stay. I do have to point out that the hotel staff was extremely friendly and helpful, and I didn't have a chance to visit the rooftop lounge, which sounds pretty cool.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
RenaissanceNYHotel57, General Manager at Renaissance New York Hotel 57, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Our apologies that the room did not meet your needs - as our property was built in the early 1900's we are somewhat limited in space but I am glad to hear that our staff made up for it through their levels of service.
North Canton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Just returned from a five-night stay here which was completely comfortable and enjoyable... I really like the location as it is convenient to most of the things I prefer to do in NYC...Museum of Natural History, Metropolitan Museum of Art, 5th. Avenue and other local shopping, Central Park, great local (i.e., not chain) restaurants, etc. I know everyone is different but I wouldn't stay in the Times Square area for anything...yikes!! There are a number of small restaurants, shops, Starbucks, etc. right around the Renaissance 57 but it is otherwise about two to three blocks from more heavily commercialized areas. Frankly, I like that...I want to be close to everything but don't necessarily want it immediately outside my hotel. I am quite a walker and I walked to the Theater District, Union Square, Greenwich Village, Times Square (again...yikes!!), Flatiron District, etc. with no problem. Plus, I am a woman traveling alone and I always felt very safe in this area...even when walking back to my hotel at 10-11 p.m.

I loved my room! I booked it on Priceline so it was just the standard room but it was well-decorated, very functional and quite comfortable. Granted, it was quite small but this is Upper Manhattan at a good price (approx. $265/night on Priceline) and, honestly, I cannot voice a single complaint about it. If you have ever been on a cruise, the room design here will be similar. All available space is well-utilized and, again, very functional and comfortable, at least for a single person in this type of room. The bed was a double...fine for just me, but it could have been a challenge for two people. Lots of storage space for clothes and other items in two nightstands, a big closet (even my enormous suitcase easily fit in the closet) and an adjoining floor to ceiling storage area with shelves and open space. I was here for six days and am a very heavy packer and I had more than enough space. There was no seating (sofa, loveseat, stuffed chairs, etc.) but I tend to hang out in the bed anyways. There is a big desk area with a chair and plenty of space with outlets, telephone, etc. The television, lighting, window area and other features were all great. The bathroom was also a really good size with a big bathtub/shower combination, sink with vanity space and a lot of functional storage space. Other than the size of the double bed, I think two people could stay in this room comfortably if they needed to do so. The bed was very comfortable but the pillows could be improved upon.

All of the staff I interacted with were very friendly and helpful. Check-in and check-out were fast and efficient...as was the transportation the hotel arranged for my return to the airport. I requested a quiet room on an upper floor and was given a room on the 11th. floor from which I barely heard a sound (just an occasional siren). I made three to four requests from housekeeping (additional hangers, small refrigerator for my room, coffee supplies, etc.) and all of the items were delivered cheerfully and immediately...within five to ten minutes. I requested loan of a vase for some flowers I had purchased and was given my choice of vases from their lounge area. Plus, I loved having complimentary bottled water, juices, etc. from the lounge.

Overall, a fantastic stay at Renaissance 57 with absolutely no complaints...would happily stay here away.

Room Tip: For a quieter room, request one on an upper floor. There are not necessarily refrigerators in the r...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
RenaissanceNYHotel57, General Manager at Renaissance New York Hotel 57, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for your posting as it really encompassed a true Hotel 57 experience. We look forward to having you return in the future.

Been to Renaissance New York Hotel 57? Share your experiences!