“Great staff!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #280 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Kentucky
“Great staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

The hallmark of this hotel is great service. I found the staff to be one of the best I have experienced in my travels. From check-in to encountering the housekeeping staff in the hall, they were all extremely professional and friendly. For this reason, I highly recommend this hotel.

The hotel is a great Manhattan location and easy walk to subway station, great restaurants and many attractions.

The hotel has a boutique vibe which is a positive. However, "boutique" also usually means small - and this is true for this property. Rooms are small (but very nice and well appointed), concierge lounge is small (but has great appetizers and one of the nicest bartenders I have ever met) lobby is small (but is functional, has comfy chairs and a way-cool fireplace), elevators are small (and painfully slow). So, to sum it up, small but wonderful (except for the elevators)! I will definitely stay here in the future.

Tip for Platinums: free appetizer in the concierge lounge daily. Try the quesadillas... Excellent.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Visited hotel with my 13yr old daughter to celebrate her birthday and stayed for four nights, just the two of us. Check in straight forward (tho female receptionists could smile a little more), room on 13th floor was pretty spacious, clean and modern. No kettle tho for tea (sorry but i am British!!) hotel staff were aware it was my daughter's birthday and welcomed us with the most amazing cupcakes and soft drinks. Room was cleaned hdaily and outside noise was minimum. Ate in restaurant a few times and the staff were lovely, very helpful and chatty. Overall we found the hotel to be modern, clean with great staff and in a fab location. Def plan to go back!

Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

When in NYC, my business rarely takes me up to midtown so it has been a while since I stayed at a hotel around that area. I found the Renaissance Hotel NY 57 to be fairly decent. It's not right in Times Square so you avoid the heavy crowds and the higher $$ for that but it's still easily close enough to walk to all the midtown highlights. Only 2 blocks away from subway that will take you to lower Manhattan.

My room was "cozy", but it had all the standard business amenities. Bed was comfortable, sheets soft, bathroom had a perfectly adequate shower- all updated and new. Flat screen TV (reception was iffy but it was a rather stormy night). There's not really much of a foyer so to speak but the restaurant and lounge seemed quite popular as a hangout for a Wednesday night. Service staff were all friendly and check-in was a breeze. So it had everything I wanted/expected. All good.

Are the rooms overall expensive and annoyingly small for what you pay? Yes they are- because this is Manhattan, and midtown Manhattan. Do they charge you exhorbitant fees for internet and water, etc. Yes- because it's a business hotel in Manhattan and they all charge those fees. Remember, this is the city where everytime you touch your wallet it's a minimum of $20. I'm sure one could find cheaper and more spacious rooms that perhaps even include wi-fi, but it won't be the great majority of hotels in NYC.

So if looking for a relatively decently priced hotel in Midtown, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Renaissance Hotel New York 57 and I would stay there again next time I need a place there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I travel to NYC 2x per quarter for board meetings. Even though these meetings are often downtown, I enjoy the night life and the restaraunts around the East Midtown area. The Renaissance 57 is located in the heart of East-Mid, and has a great bar, great intimate lobby and very nice rooms for the price. Rooms are actually larger than the Sheraton or the DoubleTree just down Lexington and tha atmosphere in this hotel is very vibrant. The staff in this hotel puts most of NYC to shame - they are eceedingly polite, friendly and genuinely interested in making sure we have a good stay. The bar waitstaff can be a bit ... snooty ... but the remainder of the staff, from check-in, through doorman and cleaning staff, are absolutely fantastic. Rooms are well appointed, if not overly lavish and the bed and linens are very inviting - I always have a good night's sleep here! Best of all, the price is nearly unbeatable for Manhattan. My favorite place to stay in NYC when I'm paying...

Room Tip: Ask about room upgrades on check in - they are frequently available, especially for frequent guests...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
RenaissanceNYHotel57, General Manager at Renaissance New York Hotel 57, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Glad that we are one of your favorites - look forward to your next stay with us!
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I am pleased to be able to write this review based upon 6 nights at the Hotel 57 just last week.

I was worried about this hotel having read some of the reviews. But my own experience exceeded my high standards and expectations.

We drove into Manhattan and were greeted at the curb by Parnell, the head bellman. He took care of valeting the car, our bags, everything. Having driven several hundred miles, it was great to have someone just "handle it." He was top notch. He and his assistant from Brazil are just fantastic.

We stayed in a Skyloft suite. For a week in NYC, this is the perfect spot. The room was bright. Light filled the room through the many windows. The bed was comfortable. The seating area was very nice. The walk in closet and the bathroom were just what we needed. There was a beautiful terrace looking toward Bergdorf Goodman which provided us fresh air when we needed it. Its hard to imagine a better set up than this. The housekeeping was really thorough - and worked around our schedule.

I am told that even though there are only 2 skyloft suites, there are also 2 carriage house suites which are also nice.

We also used room service fairly often. The service was excellent. I would say a point of improvement was the food itself - more on that later. But the service was excellent.

Only once the entire stay did we have a problem with the elevators. That seems to be a point addressed by other reviews but we were very pleased with the elevators.

The location of this hotel could not be better for those wanting to spend time in midtown shopping, going to meetings, walking in central park, etc. Excellent restaurants, like BLT Steak, are nearby. Virtually every subway line you could need is just 2 block away.

I would look to stay in this hotel - in the skyloft suite - on my next return to NYC.

Of course, all hotels have opportunities for improvement. Here are a few:

The staff here is great. Really excellent. Only three exceptions to this. There was a fellow on 3.16 working in the restaurant with a vest and checked shirt. I ate breakfast in the restaurant that morning and he let me know that the restaurant and the hotel were separate after I asked for a bottle of water to take back to the room. He was strange. Another strange employee was a woman who stood at the "Navigator" (concierge desk) while I read the paper in the lobby every morning. She was distracting the person at the desk, fraternizing unnecessarily. She distracted me too. Finally, William, a front desk attendent, snapped at my wife when she asked for an umbrella. Other than that, I would say this entire staff is A+. The 3 issues above were very minor.

The thermostat in our room kept going up even when we would set it lower. I would also suggest putting drapes on an electric motor so one switch would open/close the blinds.

The food isn't very good. Simple items like chicken fingers, cheese pizza, etc. were really bad. But the service was so good you almost overlooked it.

I would also suggest having more than one person at the front desk. It was often underserved.

Staying anywhere in NYC is expensive, but in my view this hotel is good value.

These opportunities for improvement should not overshadow an excellent stay. I will vote with my feet and stay here on my return to NYC.

Room Tip: Room 1701 - a skyloft suite - is excellent.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Thank goodness the hotel and restaurant staff was so nice because I might not have much to say about Hotel 57. I think we were supposed to be in a "superior" room, but I think we got the "cozy" room. By "cozy," they mean itty-bitty. The room was tasteful and the bed was comfortable, but it was definitely a room for one person - not two. The biggest problem was the room location. We were right behind the elevators. Sometimes it sounded like they were in the room with us. Except when the HVAC unit came on. It covered every other sound.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
RenaissanceNYHotel57, General Manager at Renaissance New York Hotel 57, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for your posting, I'm sorry that the room did not meet your needs as our rooms are a typical size for the city but I was happy to read that the staff took excellent care of you.
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife and I only got to spend one night at the Hotel 57 (because of travel issues due to a snow storm), but it was a very fine night. I got to the hotel early and was told a room was a available, but if I could wait, I would be upgraded to a better room (superior) on a higher floor, so I did. The front desk called me on my cell/mobile when the room was ready and that was nice. The superior room on the 14th floor was a very nice, modern, wood-paneled room with a very nice bathroom. The only complaint is the wooden bed frame is so close to the closet that I hit my shins there almost every time I went to the closet. While the midtown location is great for walking to destinations, there is quite a bit of street noise (not much a hotel can do about that). We reserved the room/parking package - a very good deal. It included a couple of drink tickets at the Opia bar/restaurant in the lobby. Really nice location to take a rest. A visit to the rooftop is very well worth it on a nice day. When we left for dinner/show, we returned to find a bottle of sparkling wine, cupcakes from Magnolia Bakery and two big bottles of water. I am Marriott Platinum, but this WAY above and beyond - and it was very much appreciated. I look forward to a return visit to this gem.

Room Tip: Try to get a room as high as possible, away from Lexington Ave, if possible.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Renaissance New York Hotel 57? Share your experiences!