“Great Bar!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bar Americain

Bar Americain
152 W 52nd St, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)
(212) 265-9700
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Bar Americain is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #592 of 11,599 restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Southwestern
Good for: Bar scene, Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: Between 6th and 7th Avenue
Transit: N/R and 1/9/F/D/B
Description: Bar Americain is an American Brasserie featuring regional American food created by Bobby Flay.
Stony Brook, New York
“Great Bar!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We went to Bar Americain for my birthday this year. We had an early reservation because we were going to the theater after. Very elegant, open decor and the staff could not have been friendlier or more professional. The first word in the name is "bar" and it did not disappoint. It is located directly back from the entrance but was not overly large or intrusive. The drinks were probably the best we have ever had out. No kidding. Try the Brandy Crusta...amazing! And the bartender knows his/her way around a Black Russian!
Appetizers were really special. My wife had the Lobster and Oyster shooters with Tabasco and vodka, three glasses. I had the flight of seafood cocktails: shrimp with cilantro sauce, lobster and avocado and crab with coconut milk and mango. Very nice.
Entree was where we had a small disappointment. While my seared Pork Chop was exceptional, my wife's Shrimp and Grits was not. A small portion of good grits but with a handful of rather small shrimp, it was not worth the price.
Dessert of Profiteroles with Ice Cream and Bourbon Pralines were a nice finish.
We will try again but will avoid the shrimp.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

76% Recommend
Missoula, Montana
“Excellent food and great service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This is one of my favorite places to eat in NYC. My most recent visit was a solo lunch and I had the lamb kebabs which were excellent.

Visited November 2013
Lake Bluff
“Good but not great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

We ate early so the restaurant was pretty empty. Waiters were very attentive since it was quiet. It did pick up before we left for the theater. Best part of our meal was our appetizer. It was a special which was a dip with bread/cracker. Very good. Memory is not serving me well. I had Mussels with fries in a Green Chile Broth. It was good but I am more of a red sauce mussel eater. Complaint was some of the size of the mussels were pretty large and I felt I needed a fork and knife to eat them. My wife didn't enjoy her meal but she says it was probably what she ordered. Her thoughts are, there are plenty of other restaurants to go to before she would go back.

Visited September 2013
Honey Brook, Pennsylvania
“Poor experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

We were very excited to enjoy Bobby Flay's Americain, New York City to celebrate my sister's birthday before we saw Wicked. However, we were extremely disappointed. The service was mediocre and so was the food. The steaks were not cooked the way we ordered them and when you spend that kind of money on a steak, it should be prepared the way you ordered it. The silverware was also dirty. It was a very disappointing experience and we will not be going back.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Great atmosphere but food just average!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

Restaurant is very beautiful but we were very disappointed with the food. As expensive as the restaurant is our entrees were just okay - we definitely expected more from this restaurant because of Bobby Flay being the owner. We had to send one steak back three times until they got it right. Service was also very slow.

Visited October 2013