“Dinner on Saturday” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bar Americain

Bar Americain
152 W 52nd St, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)
(212) 265-9700
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Bar Americain is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #894 of 11,777 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Southwestern
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: Between 6th and 7th Avenue
Transit: N/R and 1/9/F/D/B
Description: Bar Americain is an American Brasserie featuring regional American food created by Bobby Flay.
Orange, California
“Dinner on Saturday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I was able to make a reservation for October 5 at 5:00 pm. We got there at 4:40, hostess tells us they're getting ready to seat at 5, if we would like to go to bar and wait. We walked out and walked around the area to look around. We come back at 5, and there's a line inside, and the waiters are still getting ready and there are hosts scrambling. After 5 minutes of standing in line, a hostess calls my name and seats us. We get seated. Our waitress is nice, hands us the menus and walks off. Comes back and asks if we're ready to order. I ask her what her drink specials are, she says the pear martini. She asks if we would like to order. We order the pear martini and the lemon drop martini, and I asked for a bottle of sparkling water and we ordered the ceviche cocktail trio and the potato chips with blue cheese dressing. We get served bread. Appetizers come out before the cocktails, so it's really hard to relax and enjoy without my drink first. Tap water comes to our table, not sparkling. The ceviche trio comes out. We loved the crab one, the tomatllo one was good and the lobster one was sweet, but our favorite was the crab one. The hot potato chips with blue cheese dip were amazing!!!! By this time our drinks are here and they are strong and delicious. Waitress is running around a little flustered, we waited quite a few minutes for her to come back to our table and order our entrees. Since we ate the appetizers quickly, we weren't really that hungry. My mom ordered the stuffed squash blossoms and I ordered the spicy tuna tartare. Mom said her squash blossoms were delicious. My spicy tuna tartare was very salty due to the excessive amount of capers. I had to keep picking the capers apart. The spicy tuna was tasty though, as long as I picked out the capers. Waitress never checked up on us again. I had to ask a busyboy for a diet cola. I see busboy go fetch the waitress and then she came and asked what I needed, and I had to ask her for a diet cola. The food was good, except for the spicy tuna tartar being too salty. The cocktails came a little too late, and why did I even have to ask for a cola? Why didn't the waitress check up on us? Bar Americain gets 4 stars because of the hot potato chips, the blue cheese dip was amazingly good. But the service was off. And I did mention to the waitress that we were not in a rush, we had no show to go to afterward. I don't know if that made her not care about us that much, but service was off.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Saratoga NY
“25th Anniversary”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Our children & my mother & sister set up a weekend in NYC for us. For dinner they had made a reservation at Bar Americain, a Bobby Flay restaurant. We had a 7:00 reservation and were seated withing 5 minutes after a drink at the bar.Our waiter Robert thanked us for coming to celebrate our anniversay with them. My son added that when he made the reservation.
My husband had the appitizer of clam chower which he loved but said it was a little spicy with a bit too much cilantro. I ordered the filet and sorry to say that I had to send it back as I ordered Medium and this was a bit rare to say the least. Wine list was extensive and loved what we ordered.

• Visited October 2013
New York City, New York
“One of the best meals I've had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

This meal was delicious- one of the best I've ever had. I decided to go with the salad, entrée and dessert b/c I didn't know when I'd be back. All of it did not disappoint- the chicken had an amazing, unique smoky flavor. The service was great. It's very expensive but definitely worth a splurge.

Visited March 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Good food in a beautiful setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

This is Bobby Flay's midtown restaurant -- American cuisine with lots of spicy southwestern notes. The room is beautiful and classy: spacious, with high ceilings and lovely art deco fixtures and accents. We had lunch there and enjoyed everything we ordered: delicious chopped salad with asparagus and a lemony dressing, chicken pot pie with subtle chile spice and a sweet potato crust, and a decadent cheeseburger with excellent crispy fries. Interesting beers to go along. Very helpful and attentive service from beginning to end. It was a good experience and we'd definitely go back.

• Visited September 2013
“Bobby does it again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

My wife and I went for drinks and an appetizer. Martinis were awesome. We ordered the trio of shrimp with tomatilla salsa, crab with mango and lobster with avocado. It was STUNNING. We had been to mesa grill which was equally as good. Next may when we visit we are definately coming back to Bar Americain for dinner. Service at the bar was outstanding

• Visited August 2013